Author Topic: Engagement Rings  (Read 23266 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Engagement Rings
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 10:10:30 PM »
Meh. No life insurance until you know that you actually love her. Doesn't usually happen with our kind right away, especially because we basically marry strangers
ROFL...I guess it depends on how quick you're gonna have kids in that case.  Getting into touchy areas here.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline judahk88

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 10:11:16 PM »
ROFL...I guess it depends on how quick you're gonna have kids in that case.  Getting into touchy areas here.
lol this can get out of hand very quickly

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:12:33 PM »
:D

I once took a Gentile acquaintance to a frum guy who sold high-end watches out of his house for 20%-40% off retail. He was amazed, but once the guy offered to let him bring home a few to decide he left because "there was no way the #@$#$ was real"

Offline judahk88

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 10:13:19 PM »
I once took a Gentile acquaintance to a frum guy who sold high-end watches out of his house for 20%-40% off retail. He was amazed, but once the guy offered to let him bring home a few to decide he left because "there was no way the #@$#$ was real"
haha good story

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 10:14:42 PM »

Ha, was a Joke. Life Insurance when you are young is the best investment you can make

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
Ha, was a Joke. Life Insurance when you are young is the best investment you can make
Always some truth in every joke ;)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:24:16 PM »
My theory is that if the parents are buying it then they should pay whatever they feel is reasonable and can afford. And if the guy is buying it he too can/should pay what he can afford and if one day they wanna upgrade they can do just that.

I also feel that better for the guy to buy a cheaper ring himself than have his parents buy a more $$ one. But that's just my opinion.
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 02:45:35 AM »
I think average is about 4-5
I think I may have to go with plan B

I can buy the machine and a couple rings like this beauty while still being up 5 grand. :P

But seriously like mentioned above it depends on the financial situation and what the girl wants.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »

But seriously like mentioned above it depends on the financial situation and what the girl wants.
My brother got lucky; they spent more then they wanted to and turned out his shver used to be dealer and was very impressed

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 04:23:58 AM »
@JJ, wanna go halves on the machine and we will split the rings? ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 08:19:48 AM »
My brother got lucky; they spent more then they wanted to and turned out his shver used to be dealer and was very impressed
That's like saying a couple living paycheck to paycheck impressed their car dealer shver by renting an acura.

Offline lfas25

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 08:23:38 AM »
I don't believe there is an average, it should be based on what you or your parents could afford / want to spend. Though unfortunately these days to many ppl are worried able what everyone else will think / say so ppl over spend.
I only paid 15% by switching to dansdeals

Offline MosheP

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 08:26:59 AM »
I don't think any boy (or inlaws) should feel pressured to buy something " that the girl wants" or "to impress the Shver". If a smaller/cheaper ring causes them to be unhappy my advice would be "run Forest run".

Additionally if buying with a limited budget, maybe buy a really nice setting that the girl loves. Instead of a diamond get a CZ (cubix zirconia) and one day down the line when he makes sone money he can spoil his wife with a nice diamond.

Offline moish

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »
Unless prices have gone way up since I was looking there were plenty of very nice though not huge diamonds to be had for $1,500-$2K and settings for under $1,000.
define "very nice"

carat, color, clarity etc...

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:08 AM »
They like them yes, but the nicer stuff comes once you can actually afford it.
id say at least 75% of the time, the parents buy the diamond so that wouldnt apply

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2013, 08:31:58 AM »
Keep in mind, that often the difference between a $2,000 diamond and a $4,000 diamond for example could be small imperfections that can only be seen under 10X magnification.
This explains the ratings for one of the C's, Clarity.
2 guys can each buy diamonds for drastically different prices with the only difference being that one is a VVS1 and the other is a SI2 but both look identical to the naked eye.

The thing to be aware of is that depending on where the inclusion is it may or may not affect the way light is reflected. Be careful to avoid fractures unless you know that it won't spread causing the diamond to crack.

Diamonds are rediculously overpriced at an inflated value as it is, no sense paying $1-2K extra so that if someone pulls out a loop they won't see a small black dot in it!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:43:28 AM by MarkS »

Offline SamKey

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: If I'm there I can't be here and if I'm here I can't be there
  • Programs: National EE; Hertz PC; Sixt Plt; Avis First; Hilton Gold; Priority Club Plt; West Bestern DE; Carlson Club GE; Accor PLT
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:40 AM »
I have a friend who is an SY (his wedding is in 2 weeks) he said the boy can spend up to 40k (not pts) on the girls jewlery

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2013, 08:38:49 AM »
Keep in mind, that often the difeerence between a $2,000 diamond and a $4,000 diamond for example could be small imperfections that can only be seen under 10X magnification.
This explains the ratings for one of the C's, Clarity.
2 guys can each buy diamonds for drastically different prices with the only difference being that one is a VVS1 and the other is a SI2 but both look identical to the naked eye.

The thing to be aware of is that depending on where the inclusion is it may or may not affect the way light is reflected. Be careful to avoid fractures unless you know that it won't spread causing the diamond to crack.

Diamonds are rediculously overpriced at an inflated value as it is, no sense paying $1-2K extra so that if someone pulls out a loop they won't see a small black dot in it!
when looking through a loupe, all the imperfections are clearly visible. one of the reasons of giving a diamond is for the value

Offline MarkS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »
define "very nice"

carat, color, clarity etc...
You can get a J colored SI2 and most people won't be able to tell it apart from a G colored VVS1.

No one really inspects your diamond ring other than when you get engaged! It's silly to spend thousands extra (especially if you don't have it!) to get 1/2 carat larger and more flawless under 10X mag. Unless you have the money to waste and don't mind throwing it away on a rock :)
when looking through a loupe, all the imperfections are clearly visible. one of the reasons of giving a diamond is for the value
Exactly my point! Who is looking through loops at your ring other than the day it's bought?

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
so according to your logic, you might as well buy a CZ as most people dont notice the difference....

my point is you buy the diamond for the value