Author Topic: MLB Master Thread  (Read 596914 times)

Offline Moes Tavern

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
Re: MLB 2013
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
‏@MikeFrancesaNY Knicks Wisher is a good guy but he is a DREADFUL postseason playah.
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
‏@MikeFrancesaNY Knicks Wisher is a good guy but he is a DREADFUL postseason playah.

Best feed on all of twitter

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »
This is so patently false as to be absurd. First of all, batting is only one component of WAR, fielding and defense (positionally adjusted) being the other 2. Second of all, within the batting component, BABIP is only even partially relevant to some of it's sub-components (around 80%), not the parts that don't involve a BIP. And third of all, BABIP is helpful for analyzing BA because it's essentially isolating the portion that the batter and pitcher have the least control over. But WAR (even just the batting portion) differentiates between types of hits because of the differing roles they play in creating runs.

Which peripherals are you referring to? All of his numbers are either equal to or below his Yankee years, not above.
I'm saying everything else being equal, a small (30 point) drop in BAPIP can cause a big drop in WAR
K rate, walk rate, line drive rate (way up), pop up rate (way down).
The one thing that was down was his home run rate.
Case in point to being lucky, his infield hit rate was way down
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Moes Tavern

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
"I've done some things I'm not proud of, and the things I am proud of are pretty disgusting"

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
When did all these stats like WAR and BABIP come in to common use?
I used to be into baseball until about 10 years ago, and I loved stats, but I have never heard of any the new terms until this thread.
Visibly Jewish

Offline skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
I'm saying everything else being equal, a small (30 point) drop in BAPIP can cause a big drop in WAR
K rate, walk rate, line drive rate (way up), pop up rate (way down).
The one thing that was down was his home run rate.
Case in point to being lucky, his infield hit rate was way down
Unfortunately, I've already spent enough time on this at work that I should be refunding some pay to my employer (they pay me to do math all day, just not baseball math ;D), but suffice it to say that if you had all the necessary inputs, and you substituted enough singles for outs to bring Swisher's Yankee years BABIP (which by the way is high enough to be a bad point of comparison) down to his 2013 mark, you still wouldn't end up as low as 2.4.

And just as an aside, infield hit rate is actually much less attributable to luck than other types of balls in play.

Offline george

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 03:24:45 PM »
When did all these stats like WAR and BABIP come in to common use?
I used to be into baseball until about 10 years ago, and I loved stats, but I have never heard of any the new terms until this thread.
Within the past decade or so these sabermetrics have become more widely used, though some old-schoolers still don't pay attention to them. Others, though, are obsessed! Ever hear of Moneyball?

Offline yuneeq

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 04:35:08 PM »
Within the past decade or so these sabermetrics have become more widely used, though some old-schoolers still don't pay attention to them. Others, though, are obsessed! Ever hear of Moneyball?

Thanks. I heard of money ball but never got to watch it.
Visibly Jewish

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2013, 01:32:48 AM »
Stinkin' Rays fans couldn't even fill up their tiny house for a playoff game. That's just sad.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=331008130

I'm rooting for a OAK-PIT series.
#WorstRatingsEver
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2013, 08:59:35 AM »
Stinkin' Rays fans couldn't even fill up their tiny house for a playoff game. That's just sad.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=331008130
Big deal, neither Dodger Stadium nor Turner Field was at 100% or better (based on the metric they, use playoff sellouts are often higher than 100% due to seating added for the postseason) in their series for any of the games, while every other game this postseason was over 100% (except at the Trop). And if you want to talk attendance you're not exactly coming from a position of strength - Progressive Field was a league low 45.3% full this season.
I'm rooting for a OAK-PIT series.
#WorstRatingsEver
Imagine the difference between that and a BOS-LAD series. Now you have pretty much your best case and your worst case (from a ratings perspective of course).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Big deal, neither Dodger Stadium nor Turner Field was at 100% or better (based on the metric they, use playoff sellouts are often higher than 100% due to seating added for the postseason) in their series for any of the games, while every other game this postseason was over 100% (except at the Trop). And if you want to talk attendance you're not exactly coming from a position of strength - Progressive Field was a league low 45.3% full this season.Imagine the difference between that and a BOS-LAD series. Now you have pretty much your best case and your worst case (from a ratings perspective of course).
Blah, blah, blah. A team should be able to sell out their playoff games, end of story.

As far as the Indians go, they had no problem selling out entire seasons before a game was played when the owners were willing to spend money.  As soon as Dolan came in and decided to slash spending and become the farm system for the Yankees fans also stopped showing up.
2nd half collapses in 2011 and 2012 didn't help the case this year either. 
Nor did the doubling of ticket prices for 2013 though they said they had a 20% rise in ticket revenue over 2012 when attendance was slightly higher so maybe they're not as dumb as they look.

At any rate I've never seen a crowd anywhere as worked up and passionate as the WC crowd here last week.  Shame it had to end the way it did.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »
Blah, blah, blah. A team should be able to sell out their playoff games, end of story.

As far as the Indians go, they had no problem selling out entire seasons before a game was played when the owners were willing to spend money.  As soon as Dolan came in and decided to slash spending and become the farm system for the Yankees fans also stopped showing up.
2nd half collapses in 2011 and 2012 didn't help the case this year either. 
Nor did the doubling of ticket prices for 2013 though they said they had a 20% rise in ticket revenue over 2012 when attendance was slightly higher so maybe they're not as dumb as they look.

At any rate I've never seen a crowd anywhere as worked up and passionate as the WC crowd here last week.  Shame it had to end the way it did.
Maybe it's just me, but not even being able to fill half the seats on a consistent basis over a whole season is just as embarrassing as only filling 95+% of them for a playoff game.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but not even being able to fill half the seats on a consistent basis over a whole season is just as embarrassing as only filling 95+% of them for a playoff game.
Like I said it's not about attendance.  The Mets pulled in 26K a game by giving away half their seats every day.
Even on opening day they gave away thousands of comps.

The Indians strategy this year was to charge a much higher price point even though the numbers would be lower.  An upper reserved seat that was $7 last year went up to $25.  Frankly I'm surprised they got as many people as it is.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 01:34:19 AM »
Well, all the $115MM+ payroll teams knocked out the all of the sub $90MM payroll teams.
#NoSalaryCap #Shocker

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »
Well, all the $115MM+ payroll teams knocked out the all of the sub $90MM payroll teams.
#NoSalaryCap #Shocker
The luxury tax has helped to balance things just a bit.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 01:48:22 AM »
Sure, now the Yankees will only have 8x Houston's salary instead of 10x.
The NFL is eating Baseball's lunch and this is a part of it (along with human rain delay players)

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
Sure, now the Yankees will only have 8x Houston's salary instead of 10x.
The NFL is eating Baseball's lunch and this is a part of it (along with human rain delay players)
So you're saying a salary cap would go a long way in helping MLB compete with the NFL? Color me skeptical.

Offline bubbles

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 09:06:51 AM »
So you're saying a salary cap would go a long way in helping MLB compete with the NFL? Color me skeptical.

+1

The salary cap is not the reason no one can come close to the NFL

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2013, 09:52:32 AM »
It's not the reason, it's one of many.  In the NFL any well managed team can make it to the SB. That strengthens the fan base enormously.

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »
It's not the reason, it's one of many.  In the NFL any well managed team can make it to the SB. That strengthens the fan base enormously.
Don't get me wrong, I agree that a salary cap would be good for baseball, I just don't think it'll change MLB's standing among the other sports in any significant way.