Author Topic: Car Insurance NYC  (Read 4910 times)

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Car Insurance NYC
« on: July 03, 2008, 01:02:16 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a law to include ALL drivers in a household when getting auto insurance in NYC? What if there is a father and he wants to get insurance, but he has a 20 year old son, would his name HAVE to be on the policy, or can you just "say" he is not at home? I mean people get mail and whatnot at other peoples addresses all the time..
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
Re: Car Insurance NYC
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:12:50 PM »
From what I understand, if your license says your home address or an address that is within 100 miles of your house, you must be listed on the policy and the price will go up drastically for a 19 year old.

If you go to Yeshiva out of town, you should get a license there, and revoke your NY license, and then you should have no problem.

Your best option is to call your insurance company and confirm all of these details. CH"V that an accident should occur where you will not be covered.
-Eli

Offline Na Nach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Avis Presidents, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, BMI Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
Call the insurance company to find out if your covered i know someone who did not check and ended up getting screwed his insurance went up alot don't remember the numbers. It's just not worth the risk. if you put yourself on and say your learning out of town and get proof it should not be expensive. good luck

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »
Well im not trying to be covered though, im trying to stay out of the policy so as to not raise rates, so the only way to not be included in a policy is to have an address more than 100 miles away?? The insurance companies all have different answers depending on who answers the phone......
**In an effort to contribute to this site, id like to invite anyone with any Cell Phone Unlocking (-GSM-) related questions to message me.*(Not an expert but have my share of knowledge on the subject.)**

Offline stevenk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 02:56:54 PM »
Any driver of the household in NY State must be included on the policy even if they will not be driving

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
Hmm...now im sure there are ways around this lol..such as..____? Who wants to fill that in?

Offline Na Nach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Avis Presidents, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, BMI Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 04:22:46 PM »
make beleive you did not know and take chances. Put on you license a different address. Let me tell you if the insurance company has to shell out over a hundred thousand dollars they will investigate you and your place of residence if you should have, been covered by them and you were not. They Will Sue You if you should have been placed on the insurance.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
No but im NOT driving that car really, its not a scam or something, the car is for my father nothing to with me, so I dont want him to have retard insurance rates just cause i got a license two years ago. I Just wanna know how I can be excluded if possible and what not..

Offline Na Nach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 04:38:12 PM »
make an agreement with the insurance company. sign a paper stating that you will not drive the vehicle. try that let me know if that might help

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 04:49:30 PM »
I guess Well see, so far they say if you dont mention it I wont get added, the worst case is they quote a rate not including me, then blast you with a premium after you sign the policy. Although even including me its only 100 a month more which is not the end of a world.from what I gather it seems the policy should be signed without me mentioned, and see what happens, you can always switch insurers and I CAN probablychange my address on my license to a relative No?     Wow opera mini is annoying for this lol. .im on my phone he he.

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
I mean like what are families with multiple licensed kids doing? Paying 10k a year for insurance?!

Offline Na Nach

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »
Is it really that much? I don't think so they take into account if the kid is in college, out of town, lots of different things. There are leagal ways, every insurance company is different, you just got to ask em their policy.

Offline Eli

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Fairmont Premier, Avis First, Star Alliance Gold, bmi Gold and A"A Lifetime Gold
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 10:11:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure that you just don't tell the insurance about yourself. They have no way of finding out AFAIK. If you're really not planning on driving the car then there is no problem.
-Eli

Offline nfsnyc

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 01:16:25 AM »
Eh whatever, we'll see what happens, so far there is no car to insure anyhow.

Offline stevenk

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 09:29:48 AM »
Be very careful with leaving children off the policy, and the ONE time they drive they are in an accident. They will not cover you!! If your child is truly away at school (out of the state) child does not have to be on the policy

Offline corny

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 02:24:51 PM »
make beleive you did not know and take chances. Put on you license a different address. Let me tell you if the insurance company has to shell out over a hundred thousand dollars they will investigate you and your place of residence if you should have, been covered by them and you were not. They Will Sue You if you should have been placed on the insurance.
this is true, i have the same problom i was the first in my family to get a license and i felt bad about the cost that my father will get, so i thought i will just change my address and this way im just a visiter at home so there is no charge and  thats it, but i asked a frum insurance worker if that will work and he told me if you get a scratch on the car that costs 500$ to fix then it will prob be fine but if they need to pay for someones lambrgini then they will investigate, so i ended up telling the insurance company that im away from home most of the time so insted of 1600 more a year its only 800 more a year i am still taking a risk but at least im somewhat covered, and btw there is not such a big difference between one son and three sons the big cost is for the first son

Offline chillmaster

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 03:09:43 PM »
i had 4 kids in my house under 22 and we all got out of state licenses  my 18 year old brother got into a accident and they paid it out and said that he has to be added on so we switched insurance and they dont know a thing      the law is they must pay out the policy but they can back charge you     a car is insured not the driver!!