Topic Wiki

TRs:
Eli, Chuchem, aussiebochur, world2see, chucksterace

Thing to do:
 - wall at mutinyahu
 - Ming vase company (or silk or other companies...)
-summer palace
-forbidden city
-tain'anmen square
-silk/pearl/ yaxiu antique markets
-Panda zoo
-Drum tower, nightly acrobatic shows,
Kong fu show,
Back lake,
Hutong area?
-Olympic park (birds nest, cube) ,
-Chairman Mao?

Only place to eat:
dinis restaurant -( chabad)
(www.kosherbeijing.com)

Places to stay;
St Regis (downtown chabad) with bowling! And Massage across the street .
Westin (chaoyang)-near chabad,
Rosemary
Shrangila, trade west town

Get around:
-car service +8613051258776
(They are unofficial but good service and prices.)
-yellowcar John <johnyellowcar@hotmail.com>
( The price will be around 1000 rmb for everything (gas,toll,parking) except ticket and food.
reocmmendtions from : www.tripadvisor.com  )

Author Topic: Beijing Master Thread  (Read 73244 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Beijing Master Thread
« Reply #300 on: January 08, 2018, 12:58:16 AM »
No worries. I hope to be proven wrong and will happily shlep back the frozen meals if Dini's is open and delicious! Report to follow, B'N.

Dini's is good food and the Rabbi and Rebbetzin are really nice!
If you're so inclined, you can go for shachris and have breakfast there afterwards

Food there is very good

We ate our delicious sandwiches from Dinis restaurant and toured the square....

At 8 pm we took a cab to Dinis restaurant were we had a delicious supper. Its in a tent outside the chabad house in Beijing. Very nice and delicious food. We got back to the hotel at 11 pm and each took a massage by a place across the street open till late. Nice place, they had a man doing it for me.

after a full day of touring we headed to the chabad restaurant,dini's,which currently was under construction and was based out of the chabad house,pretty much an open grill each night we were there,good food and very nice people! each night we were there,we ordered food for lunch the next day so that was really helpful.     
we headed to dinis for a delicious supper. at night the chabad rabbi sent over their household help to babysit our daughter as me we spent the night exploring
from there we had another great dinner at dinis followed by massages across from the hotel. 
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DTM

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »
Great! @DTM, Can you tell us more about your meals at Dini's?
We'll be staying at the Fairmont soon, and they said they contacted Dini's and Dini's said they couldn't provide breakfast.
We made arrangements directly, rather than through the hotel, and our hotel was sufficiently close by that the delivery man came via bicycle. I met him in the lobby. My wife and I called and spoke with Rebitzen Dini from home in advance (using Google Voice App) and then picked up on WeChat. The food was good. The Shabbos meals were excellent; weekday dinners were fine, maybe like Yun Kee or Wok Tov in NY. We were there in May 2017.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:37:52 AM by DTM »

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

...and:

The Chinese dishes at Dini's Kosher Restaurant in PEK are phenomenal--may be the best I've ever had.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2018, 02:07:39 PM »
"China on Thursday extended its visa-free period for people transiting through Beijing to 144 hours"
that's 6 days for visa-free transit
So that means if I travel to China for 4 days only I do not need any Visa?
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline shwarmabob

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
Depends. There are restrictions on who and how can use the transit. If you travel from country A to Beijing and have an onward ticket to country B with a US passport then you are good to go. Let' say you fly from Denver to Beijing, spend 4 days there and then continue from Beijing to Seoul, then you can use this visa-free transit.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
Of your returning to where you came from you always need a visa. You don't need one if you're stopping in China and continuing on to another country.

Offline yoss6400

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage,sapfire,freedom,marriott, hertz, avis, united
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2018, 03:00:54 PM »
Depends. There are restrictions on who and how can use the transit. If you travel from country A to Beijing and have an onward ticket to country B with a US passport then you are good to go. Let' say you fly from Denver to Beijing, spend 4 days there and then continue from Beijing to Seoul, then you can use this visa-free transit.
Jfk to can for 4 days and return
"Credit Cards delaying arguments for 30 Days"

Offline shwarmabob

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
Jfk to can for 4 days and return
it's not going to work

Offline Theg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 12, 2018, 10:03:54 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good driver and a tour guide?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
The tour company I used was great! Contact them. See my TR for details.

Offline rkg27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 23, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »

Not sure if this is too late but we used Skye, she was amazing and very helpful.  She arranged a private car to take us around for a 2 day tour that she designed based on what we wanted to do.  She also was basically our private photographer so we were able to get good pictures at all of the sites.  Here is a link to her tripadvisor page:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294212-d2369360-Reviews-Beijing_Private_Guide_Skye-Beijing.html

and email: skyegao2008@gmail.com

Offline izrib2

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 08, 2018, 10:14:48 PM »
Best way to get to China from NY for canton fair oct 21 to 25 points options
Thanks

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2018, 08:49:58 PM »
Have a upcoming trip to HKG and trying to figure out if it's worth doing a 12 hr stopover in PEK
With all the traffic in PEK could I get anything done with a 12hr stopover?
My flight out would be 5:30PM how long before the flight do I need to be back in the airport?

Offline rkg27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »
Have a upcoming trip to HKG and trying to figure out if it's worth doing a 12 hr stopover in PEK
With all the traffic in PEK could I get anything done with a 12hr stopover?
My flight out would be 5:30PM how long before the flight do I need to be back in the airport?

Really depends on what you want to do, If it was me I would hire a car to pick me up at the airport and go to the great wall of china, it is easy and quick from the airport and very worthwhile. Beyond that 12 hours is enough time to go into the city just budget your time well, it takes a while to get through customs/passport control. 

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2018, 11:04:49 PM »
Really depends on what you want to do, If it was me I would hire a car to pick me up at the airport and go to the great wall of china, it is easy and quick from the airport and very worthwhile. Beyond that 12 hours is enough time to go into the city just budget your time well, it takes a while to get through customs/passport control.
+1, not to mention traffic in the city. The wall at Mutanyu is closer to the airport than the city itself (city-------->airport---------->wall at Mutanyu), so it's easier to to just to the wall. Just find a private guide who will pick you up and take you there. Going into the city can take a long time because of traffic.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 13, 2018, 08:45:51 PM »
+1, not to mention traffic in the city. The wall at Mutanyu is closer to the airport than the city itself (city-------->airport---------->wall at Mutanyu), so it's easier to to just to the wall. Just find a private guide who will pick you up and take you there. Going into the city can take a long time because of traffic.
Just the wall will fill up 12hrs?
I land at 4am and my flight out is at 5.

Offline rkg27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 13, 2018, 09:03:20 PM »

Probably not, but just depends on what you want to see, but the wall plus the city is hard to do all in one day and to get back to the airport in time for an international flight. A few other great sights are the forbidden city, temple of heaven, tianamen square, or go to the markets for shopping for knock offs. Up to you how to prioritize.

Check out my trip report, but i would not attempt to fit too much in, the first class lounge for china is very nice.  Can do an authentic tea ceremony there.  https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=95279.0

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 13, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »
It won't fill up the entire 12 hours, but you will be left with a very small amount of time to see the city. If your flight out is at 5 p.m., you need to be at the airport at 3 p.m. I know it sounds like a lot of time ahead of your flight, but the immigration lines and to leave the country can be quite long and they move very slowly. There are also no cues for premium passengers. Like the previous poster mentioned, there are other towards you that you can do in Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The tutor I did started there and then went to the wall, and the whole thing took from approximately 6 a.m. pickup at the airport until 6 p.m. drop off at my hotel. If you got a private guide, you can certainly do it a lot quicker, but I would do it in that order. First the Forbidden City in Tiananmen Square and then the wall. The main reason is is that traffic going into the city is going to be a lot worse later in the day. At 4 a.m. it shouldn't be that bad. Plus since the wall is close to the airport, they can just drop you back off at the airport instead of going all the way into the city.

Offline rkg27

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 13, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
It won't fill up the entire 12 hours, but you will be left with a very small amount of time to see the city. If your flight out is at 5 p.m., you need to be at the airport at 3 p.m. I know it sounds like a lot of time ahead of your flight, but the immigration lines and to leave the country can be quite long and they move very slowly. There are also no cues for premium passengers. Like the previous poster mentioned, there are other towards you that you can do in Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. The tutor I did started there and then went to the wall, and the whole thing took from approximately 6 a.m. pickup at the airport until 6 p.m. drop off at my hotel. If you got a private guide, you can certainly do it a lot quicker, but I would do it in that order. First the Forbidden City in Tiananmen Square and then the wall. The main reason is is that traffic going into the city is going to be a lot worse later in the day. At 4 a.m. it shouldn't be that bad. Plus since the wall is close to the airport, they can just drop you back off at the airport instead of going all the way into the city.

I would agree with yehoshua's idea of doing tianamen and forbidden city first, but you will need to hire a private guide with a car for all of this or it wont work.  Also make sure that those locations are actually open on those days and times.  With a private guide you usually also get to skip the lines and security checks that take a long time to get in to those areas.  If you want to see chairman Mao in his tomb you will have to wait on line for that otherwise tianamen square is just a like it sounds a big square with lots of "secret" police.  Forbidden city can take a very short or long amount of time depending on how quickly you move, in general once you've seen the outside of one building you've seen them all so easy to move quickly through forbidden city.  It should take about 90 minutes to 2.5 hrs to get to the wall depending on which part you go to.  The farther one is better but takes a lot more time.

Offline ItzikF

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 15, 2018, 02:54:47 AM »
Im coming in Friday from TLV through Moscow and leaving Monday to Hong Kong. Its less than 144 hours. Jst making sure that i understood correctly that i dont need a visa?