Author Topic: Uganda Trip  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Yitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Uganda Trip
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
I have a friend who is traveling to Uganda on a business trip. Looking for some tips. Like were to stay and were not to go and any other info.

Offline metziah

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Uganda Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:37:23 PM »
Get some good life insurance

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:45:45 PM »
Thanks so much

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 02:58:31 PM »
Get some good life insurance
Uganda is a pretty safe country. I actually almost went there.

Offline plainbachur

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Uganda is a pretty safe country. I actually almost went there.
-1 entbee revenge I would be scared

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
-1 entbee revenge I would be scared
Agreed for business sometimes you take a safe chance. I was hoping to get some expert advice. I guess DDF members do not go to Uganda

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 07:27:11 PM »
Agreed for business sometimes you take a safe chance. I was hoping to get some expert advice. I guess DDF members do not go to Uganda
Will he have extra time while he is there to tour? The bwindi impenetrable forest is supposed to be out of this world. Uganda happens to be a Christian country and is by African standards pretty safe.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:38:46 AM »
It's quite safe and as far as I can remember, the only country in Africa where AIDS is decreasing as opposed to increasing, they are really booming and among the most civilized African countries. but ultimately you're still in Africa.
I stayed at a very nice hotel in/near the diplomatic area but I wouldn't remember it's name as I was there about 10 years ago. His best bet is to look on Tripadvisor.
The gorillas are worth checking out if he has time and also Nile river rafting.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline mochada

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:11 AM »
Close friend had to travel to one of the 3rd world countries in Africa for business.  His wife was told by his business partner and client to set up a ransom account, in case he was kidnapped. 

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Will he have extra time while he is there to tour? The bwindi impenetrable forest is supposed to be out of this world. Uganda happens to be a Christian country and is by African standards pretty safe.
That is called feedback. Thanks.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
That is called feedback. Thanks.
Pleasure. For hotels, the Sheraton Kampala is a supposed to be a good choice. There are also small game parks there, which are not up to par with the Kenya etc ones but they are cheaper and also really cool.

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:52:55 AM »
Pleasure. For hotels, the Sheraton Kampala is a supposed to be a good choice. There are also small game parks there, which are not up to par with the Kenya etc ones but they are cheaper and also really cool.
Good info

Offline adventurer

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 02:59:05 PM »
START RANT:
Please stop lumping all African countries together as if they're all one and the same! Africa has 54 countries and is larger than North America. The countries vary extremely - there is a huge range of cultures and geography across the massive continent.

Most countries in Africa are stable and safe... there are only a handful (out of 54) that are unstable/unsafe today! The problem is that the majority of the news stories that we read/see in the US about Africa are focused on the minority of countries that have issues. For example, the capital of Ghana is safer than any major city in the US. Really.

Uganda is very safe country now. Yes, it had a violent past, but it's in the past ... Idi Amin was kicked out in 1979. Kony hasn't been seen in Uganda in years (if he's still even alive; a photographer friend accompanied the Uganda Army hunting for him last year and they think he's dead).

My girlfriend and I have spent the last 1.5 years living in three countries in Africa, including 6 months living in Kampala, Uganda. We even bought a used RAV4 and drove about 5,500 miles all around the country (and it's a pretty small country) on weekends and holidays. We never worried about crime driving around the country; we did worry about getting into accidents - as in any developing country.

During the whole time in Uganda, my girlfriend and I never really had to worry about crime. We'd walk at night (albeit in the good parts of town) alone without fear. We'd drive anywhere anytime. My nephew visited for a few weeks and I didn't have to worry about his safety either.

It is a very safe country - just use your common sense as you would when traveling to any other country. Now, we live in Nairobi and it's called "Nairobbery" for a reason! There is a lot of crime here, so we are much more careful here than in Kampala. But, it's definitely not as bad as the perception that everyone has.

Uganda is a gorgeous country - the wildlife is amazing and the people are extremely nice. Yes, you can see more wildlife quickly in the Tanzanian Serengetti or the Kenyan Masai Mara, but you don't get the intimacy in those big over-touristed parks. For example, in Uganda, you can get within close proximity, on foot, of wild gorillas, chimpanzees, rhinos, giraffes, zebra, etc! Uganda is nicknamed "Pearl of Africa" for a reason. One of my biggest thrills was to do self-drives through the national parks and being about to really drive offroad looking for animals!
:END RANT

As for hotel recommendations in Kampala, it's important to know where the meetings will be as traffic can be pretty bad. Overall, the best areas to stay in are Kololo and Nakasero. The Serena is a gorgeous high end hotel; Emin Pasha is a nice boutique hotel. Kololo has an active nightlife with upscale restaurants, bars and a couple of clubs.

I highly recommend doing the gorilla tracking - it was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. Feel free to ask questions!

Offline chff

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 25
    • View Profile
  • Programs: All of them...
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »
START RANT:
Please stop lumping all African countries together as if they're all one and the same! Africa has 54 countries and is larger than North America. The countries vary extremely - there is a huge range of cultures and geography across the massive continent.

Most countries in Africa are stable and safe... there are only a handful (out of 54) that are unstable/unsafe today! The problem is that the majority of the news stories that we read/see in the US about Africa are focused on the minority of countries that have issues. For example, the capital of Ghana is safer than any major city in the US. Really.

Uganda is very safe country now. Yes, it had a violent past, but it's in the past ... Idi Amin was kicked out in 1979. Kony hasn't been seen in Uganda in years (if he's still even alive; a photographer friend accompanied the Uganda Army hunting for him last year and they think he's dead).

My girlfriend and I have spent the last 1.5 years living in three countries in Africa, including 6 months living in Kampala, Uganda. We even bought a used RAV4 and drove about 5,500 miles all around the country (and it's a pretty small country) on weekends and holidays. We never worried about crime driving around the country; we did worry about getting into accidents - as in any developing country.

During the whole time in Uganda, my girlfriend and I never really had to worry about crime. We'd walk at night (albeit in the good parts of town) alone without fear. We'd drive anywhere anytime. My nephew visited for a few weeks and I didn't have to worry about his safety either.

It is a very safe country - just use your common sense as you would when traveling to any other country. Now, we live in Nairobi and it's called "Nairobbery" for a reason! There is a lot of crime here, so we are much more careful here than in Kampala. But, it's definitely not as bad as the perception that everyone has.

Uganda is a gorgeous country - the wildlife is amazing and the people are extremely nice. Yes, you can see more wildlife quickly in the Tanzanian Serengetti or the Kenyan Masai Mara, but you don't get the intimacy in those big over-touristed parks. For example, in Uganda, you can get within close proximity, on foot, of wild gorillas, chimpanzees, rhinos, giraffes, zebra, etc! Uganda is nicknamed "Pearl of Africa" for a reason. One of my biggest thrills was to do self-drives through the national parks and being about to really drive offroad looking for animals!
:END RANT

As for hotel recommendations in Kampala, it's important to know where the meetings will be as traffic can be pretty bad. Overall, the best areas to stay in are Kololo and Nakasero. The Serena is a gorgeous high end hotel; Emin Pasha is a nice boutique hotel. Kololo has an active nightlife with upscale restaurants, bars and a couple of clubs.

I highly recommend doing the gorilla tracking - it was one of the most memorable experiences of our lives. Feel free to ask questions!

Nice post.
Welcome to the forums

Offline Saver2000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
Nice post.
Welcome to the forums
+1  :)

Offline Yitz

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
It is nice to see someone living in Nairobi and involved with DDF.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
Welcome to DDF!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 01:42:35 AM »
Welcome to the forums! So cool that you spent so much time in Africa.