Author Topic: whYME's summer 2013 road trip planning thread (part 1)  (Read 10853 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: whYME's summer 2013 road trip planning thread (part 1)
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »
I learned about it in school and insisted we go there when I was 10.
You drive for hours and see a plaque and a bunch of Navajos selling expensive trinkets.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 12:40:09 AM »
I learned about it in school and insisted we go there when I was 10.
You drive for hours and see a plaque and a bunch of Navajos selling expensive trinkets.
Good to hear we didn't miss much  :) boy was my sister mad. We did go to a ghost town in AZ after she would not give in. We drove 2 hours and saw absolutely nothing. We all understood why they call them ghost towns! At least the rodeo she dragged us to was interesting.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
Nothing to see at 4 corners.
I know there's nothing to "see" there. It's just the idea of it, being "in" four states at once.
I know it doesn't really make sense to go there, I guess it's just that I decided years ago that I wanted to go and haven't quite convinced myself yet not to...

Titanic Museum and other stuff in Branson, MO?
Looks interesting but probably won't work. I think I'll probably need something a lot more exciting than that to have me do that part of the drive during the day...

Time the trip for some KC kosher BBQ!
I wish!
That might work time-wise for the way back, but it'll be pretty far out of the way.
Might still be worth it though :)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
At least the rodeo she dragged us to was interesting.
That's a good idea. I should find a rodeo to go to...

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2013, 12:58:20 AM »
It's that time of year again, time to get really serious about planning my cross-country road trip with my family.

I'm going NY > CA, I plan to take a more southern route this time. I have a whole big chunk of the south-central part of the country that I haven't really been to yet (Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas & New Mexico,) I plan to remedy that somewhat over the course of this trip.

I don't really have very much of a plan yet.

I'm thinking to go  NY > Great Smokey Mountains National Park > Nashville, TN and head west from there.

On the western end, I'm kinda leaning toward hitting up the four corners monument > Grand Canyon north rim > maybe a quick stop in Zion NP > LAX

My questions are:
1. Is there anything in MS, AR, MO, KS, OK or northern TX worth seeing/doing? (I'm considering possibly Crater of Diamonds State Park and/or Hot Springs National Park in AR)

2. What are the must-sees in New Mexico?

3. Other than the Grand Canyon and Sedona, what are the best sights/activities in AZ?

(for 2 & 3 I'm looking for things for which I won't need to pay a fortune to some Indian tribe...)
1. Have you been to New Orleans? Are you an Elvis fan? There are some old Jewish museums in those states, you can look up. If you drive through MS let me know as I have a good friend from there and can find out more if you'd like. (His dad runs the biggest hotel on the Gulf, but getting free rooms is a bit tricky for friends or mine.)

2. I don't think anyone will tell you there are any "must see" things in that NM. Taos is a very nice town with some nice art galleries and famous skiing(which won't help you much.) The shliach in Santa Fe is a fantastic guy and I highly suggest reaching out to him if you are in the area, shliach in Taos is also a good guy (I spent 2 weeks by him 2 or 3 years ago.) The women's mikveh in Santa Fe is the nicest mikva I've seen (mind you I haven't graced too many women's mika's in my life :P ) worth going if he allows you to. Albuquerque is known for hot air balloons, so that can be a fun activity.

3. I will have to look this one up to remember but there were some great caves I went though in AZ. Stalagmites and Stalactites were super cool as a kid. I remember wearing a hard hat with a light on it, was a lot of fun.

Petrified Forest is very neat.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2013, 01:08:14 AM »
1. Have you been to New Orleans? Are you an Elvis fan? There are some old Jewish museums in those states, you can look up. If you drive through MS let me know as I have a good friend from there and can find out more if you'd like. (His dad runs the biggest hotel on the Gulf, but getting free rooms is a bit tricky for friends or mine.)
I haven't been there yet, but I'm thinking to leave it for another trip where I'll basically take I-10 all the way across.

2. I don't think anyone will tell you there are any "must see" things in that NM. Taos is a very nice town with some nice art galleries and famous skiing(which won't help you much.) The shliach in Santa Fe is a fantastic guy and I highly suggest reaching out to him if you are in the area, shliach in Taos is also a good guy (I spent 2 weeks by him 2 or 3 years ago.) The women's mikveh in Santa Fe is the nicest mikva I've seen (mind you I haven't graced too many women's mika's in my life :P ) worth going if he allows you to. Albuquerque is known for hot air balloons, so that can be a fun activity.
ALOL'd picturing my kids in an art gallery :) :)
Hot air balloons sound like a great idea I'll have to look in to that.

3. I will have to look this one up to remember but there were some great caves I went though in AZ. Stalagmites and Stalactites were super cool as a kid. I remember wearing a hard hat with a light on it, was a lot of fun.
Carlsbad Caverns?

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 01:11:43 AM »
Carlsbad Caverns?
I'll find out in the normal hours. Notice I added Petrified Forest.

Heads up with all parks call ahead to verify they are open.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
Please tell me you are flying back.

Online jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:13 AM »
why do you think this is part 1? :)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 01:25:27 AM »
Notice I added Petrified Forest.
Is there anything in particular you recommend there?

Heads up with all parks call ahead to verify they are open.
Yeah I kinda made that mistake once trying to get to Yosemite from the east. I figured it's California and i don't need to worry about such things... (the park was open but that road leading to it was still closed for the winter, they were expecting it to open the next day)

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 01:29:20 AM »
Now why would I want to do that? :D

why do you think this is part 1? :)
Exactly!

For the way back I expect to have a lot more time to work with, so this should hopefully pale in comparison.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 02:06:03 AM »
Now why would I want to do that? :D
Exactly!

For the way back I expect to have a lot more time to work with, so this should hopefully pale in comparison.

I am exhausted just thinking about that!! A cross country road trip is something I always wanted to try, but more like in small sections  :)

Offline DovtheBear

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Regus Gold, Hertz 5 Star, National Executive, Sixt Platinum, Chase Debit, Rav Kav Emerald
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 08:16:48 PM »
I am exhausted just thinking about that!! A cross country road trip is something I always wanted to try, but more like in small sections  :)
And probably not with a couple of little kids.  ;)
"להסתובב זה לא אומר להיות חופשי"

Online Mordyk

• View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »
did this trip ever happen?  where is part 2?
#TYH

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
did this trip ever happen?  where is part 2?
yes

where is part 2?
that's a good idea, I should get around to it one of these days. I just need to remember which trip it was and what I did on this trip. I guess for that matter I should do TRs of all my cross-country trips... (these here are 2 of 9)