Author Topic: NYC Vs. OOT  (Read 16036 times)

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
NYC Vs. OOT
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:21:59 PM »
New York City is simply the best town in the entire Chutz L'Aretz. So much Yidden, Torah, Rabbonim, Rebbes, Yeshivas, Chesed (organizations and people) and so much more. And Yidden from everywhere else are constantly moving into NYC.

For good reason.

Offline moko

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: NYC Vs. OOT
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:45:17 PM »
New York City is simply the best town in the entire Chutz L'Aretz. So much Yidden, Torah, Rabbonim, Rebbes, Yeshivas, Chesed (organizations and people) and so much more. And Yidden from everywhere else are constantly moving into NYC.

For good reason.
even the best at being quite a  dirty, disgusting  city. Oh, and only do chesed if u can have a famous org or get written up in the local papers

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
A. There is more Chesed done in a day in New York than is done in a month anywhere else in Chutz L'Aretz.

B. Try explaining why so many out-of-towners keep moving to NY. Anywhere you turn to in NY there are tons of former OOTers.

Not only do the millions of Jews in NY love it, they love it so much everywhere else that they keep on moving here. For decades this has been the case.

And surely we must'nt forget all the Gedolei Yisroel who lived here and still do. Sure you have them elsewhere too, but nowhere else in chutz nearly as concentrated as in NY.

And for good reason.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:49:08 AM »
A. There is more Chesed done in a day in New York than is done in a month anywhere else in Chutz L'Aretz.
Some of what you said made sense until this. That is a rude, stupid, and simply ridiculous thing to say.

Now it is too easy to tell you are a typical stuck up NY'er.

ETA- I'm very happy real NY'ers love it there so much, because I certainly wouldn't want them to be living in a nice community where people are friendly and courteous towards each other (among many other reasons I am not posting in a forum).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 12:54:50 AM by jj1000 »
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »
The reason is quite simple. There is more than 30 times as many Yidden in New York than almost anywhere else in Chutz L'aaretz. Hence my guesstimate.

Furtermore, please tell me where else in chutz you have all of:

Hatzala
Shomrim
Chaveirim
Bonei Olam
A TIME
Bikkur Cholim (about a dozen of them, but most notably Satmar Bikur Cholim)
Dozens and dozens of Tzedaka organizations
Close to a dozen Pesach food drives and distributions
Tomchei Shabbos
Chesed L'Avrohom
MRA
Echo
Misaskim (24/7)
Bnei Raphael
Chesed Helpline
Chesed Shel Emes
Chai Lifeline
The free clothing "store" (I'm forgetting the name)
Shomer Shabbos shul

and many many more that I'm not recalling at the moment than I listed above.

There is chesed being performed in NY 24/7 many times over, every second. Much more than anywhere else simply because of the numbers.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:05:33 AM by Shlomo Zalman »

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 01:05:33 AM »
Some of what you said made sense until this. That is a rude, stupid, and simply ridiculous thing to say.

Now it is too easy to tell you are a typical stuck up NY'er.

ETA- I'm very happy real NY'ers love it there so much, because I certainly wouldn't want them to be living in a nice community where people are friendly and courteous towards each other (among many other reasons I am not posting in a forum).
Why get into a conversation with this guy? You're just goading him on
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:06:50 AM »
If you have a substantial answer to the points I made I'd be happy to address it, as I have above.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:09:55 AM »
The reason is quite simple. There is more than 30 times as many Yidden in New York than almost anywhere else in Chutz L'aaretz.
If you have a substantial answer to the points I made I'd be happy to address it, as I have above.
There is nothing to answer, you are simply incorrect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_population_by_urban_areas

If you were correct NYC would have 18,300,000 Jews(over twice the entire population of NYC... And the increment of 30X goes down from 18Mil. but you can see the fallacy of your statement I assume)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:14:08 AM by jj1000 »

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:14:57 AM »
I said *almost* anywhere.

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 01:16:48 AM »
Additionally, I'm speaking Frum Yidden. Which NY has a higher percentage demographic of than of all "Jews". (Which, btw, included non-halachic "Jews" aside from non-religious.)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:59 AM »
I said *almost* anywhere.
So you admit point A is not true, only almost true. Thanks for agreeing with me and retracting your incorrect statement. 

Either way your argument of you saying "*almsot*" as an excuse is laughable. I gave you a list of 16 cities which NYC does not have 30X the Jewish population of.

Additionally, I'm speaking Frum Yidden. Which NY has a higher percentage demographic of than of all "Jews". (Which, btw, included non-halachic "Jews" aside from non-religious.)
  ::) Thanks for clarifying. Clearly you proved that NYC has 30X the demographic of frum yiden by changing your wording. Just please think through the math of what you are saying and the facts presented and don't feel bad to say you exaggerated.

@Ergel you win. This is dumb. Pretty soon he will only be talking about Aguda run organizations.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:25:20 AM by jj1000 »

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »
Again, I speak exclusively of *Frum Yidden*. I exclude irreligious Jews. And I exclude so-called "Jews" who are halachicly gentiles. (i.e. Paternal descent, non-Orthodox conversions, etc.)

And NY has a substantially higher percent of religious Jews in America than it does of all people in America who call themselves "Jewish".
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 01:27:36 AM by Shlomo Zalman »

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:26:11 AM »
Again, I speak exclusively of *Frum Yidden*. I exlude irreligious Jews. And I exclude so-called "Jews" who are halachicly gentiles. (i.e. Paternal descent, non-Orthodox conversions, etc.)

And NY has a substantially higher percent of religious Jews in America than it does of all people in America who call themselves "Jewish".
  ::) Thanks for clarifying. Clearly you proved that NYC has 30X the demographic of frum yiden by changing your wording. Just please think through the math of what you are saying and the facts presented and don't feel bad to say you exaggerated.

@Ergel you win. This is dumb. Pretty soon he will only be talking about Aguda run organizations.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 01:30:03 AM »
@shlomo zalman
You live under a rock?  Ever heard of Lakewood?

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 01:32:29 AM »
Listen, pal. We can argue over the precise numbers from today until tommorow. But all that is a side show and besides the point.

You and I and all reasonable people agree NY has a substantially higher Jewish population than anywhere else outside Eretz Yisroel. That fact is not in dispute.

You want to argue it isn't 30X but only 25X or only 20X (or another figure) MOST other places, cool. G-d bless you. But it is substantially higher. My 30X figure was not intended to be a scientific observation and I apologize if it came across as being represented as such.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 01:33:24 AM »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 01:36:59 AM »
Is there any demographic info (Chai Foundation?) of the Jewish *religious* population in the U.S.

The numbers are significantly higher for NY.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
Listen, pal. We can argue over the precise numbers from today until tommorow. But all that is a side show and besides the point.

You and I and all reasonable people agree NY has a substantially higher Jewish population than anywhere else outside Eretz Yisroel. That fact is not in dispute.

You want to argue it isn't 30X but only 25X or only 20X (or another figure) MOST other places, cool. G-d bless you. But it is substantially higher. My 30X figure was not intended to be a scientific observation and I apologize if it came across as being represented as such.
OK. Thank you. And yes you did seem to say your wrong opinion as fact.

Now shall we get into how many more fights and politics take place in NY. The different communities hating each other for decades? Beating each other up, not trusting each others hechsharim etc.

NYC is made up of many different areas and is almost silly to call it one community when it is anything but that.

Go to an out of town city where they have one hashgacha, one gemach, one bikur cholim etc. Then I will be impressed at the unity and want to move there.

Like I said I don't really want to get into why I dislike NYC in here, but if you insist we can try to do this civily.

Offline Shlomo Zalman

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
That point isn't relatively correct. Outside NY the communities have less fighting when measured in real numbers, of course, but that is simply because they have significantly less people to fight with and between. But I would say they -- proportionally -- have just as much fighting. But of course it doesn't hit the news and blogs nearly as much, simply because smaller scales don't make as much sport for the baalei loshon hora.

Same idea with the hechseirim, schools and other organizations. OOT they simply cannot support more than one in most communities.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 01:53:41 AM »
I'm born and bred in NYC and lived here all my life.
Who woulda known?!  :-X