Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 743730 times)

Offline mochjas

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 123
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #3920 on: August 30, 2017, 01:36:24 PM »
Be careful at the Conrad as they opened our stuff a bunch of times when heating it up. Even after specifically being told not to. Their understanding of English isn't that great.

I suggest going to Chabad koh samui the first day you are there and placing the order with them and instruct them how to wrap. While you are waiting for the order you can have lunch in their pizza shop.

Every free breakfast I got from Chabad that was straight from the hotel wasnt sealed and I couldn't eat it. The chef lives near Chabad so he picks it up on his way in. Luckily they have tons of fruit in their breakfast which I was able to take from.

Offline Z56

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE, Hertz GP, Avis PP
« Reply #3921 on: August 30, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »
Be careful at the Conrad as they opened our stuff a bunch of times when heating it up. Even after specifically being told not to. Their understanding of English isn't that great.

I suggest going to Chabad koh samui the first day you are there and placing the order with them and instruct them how to wrap. While you are waiting for the order you can have lunch in their pizza shop.

Every free breakfast I got from Chabad that was straight from the hotel wasnt sealed and I couldn't eat it. The chef lives near Chabad so he picks it up on his way in. Luckily they have tons of fruit in their breakfast which I was able to take from.

+1 had this same issue. they reordered breakfast again and sent it straight to my room, sealed this time

fruits in Thailand doesn't taste that great just saying
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:50:51 PM by Z56 »
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, AA EX PLAT, Jetblue Mosaic, Qatar Gold, United Silver
« Reply #3922 on: August 30, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
+1 had this same issue. they reordered breakfast again and sent it straight to my room.

fruits in Thailand doesn't taste that great just saying
I dont really eat fruit but my wife and kids loved the fruit.

I didnt make them get it again I just told them to make sure it was sealed the next day and of course it wasnt.  They even messed up a pom meal for me.

When are we going to see the pics of the 2 BR villa that you got?

Offline Theg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »
What you can also do is place a order directly with Chabad and have the Conrad pick it up with the shuttle that goes in 3 times a day to chaweng. I landed at 6 am and the restaurant only opens at 10 am worked out pretty well. And we warmed the food up in the microwave in the room(2 bedroom Vila don't know if the 1 bedroom has one).
You can also Ask them for brand new plates that were never used. They gave me an entire stack of when we arrived so we can take care of our food ourselves without going through the hassle of giving it to the kitchen. Also ask for plastic warp for the food. They are very helpful with everything.
They also opened my kosher breakfast twice and couldn't eat it and the chef came down to our room to apologize. FYI the breakfast they give for Dimond is nothing special so it's not even worth asking for.

Offline G11600

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:43 PM »
In case anyone is interested, here is the full kosher menu from the Conrad Koh Samui (sourced from Chabad).  Prices are WAY more than in the restaurant but Chabad anyway clearly asks that people wanting meals at resorts to use their delivery service (from Bankok) as the restaurant is so heavily subsidized to try to get the non-religious Israelis in the door.  Obviously these prices aren't cheap but at least they do also include delivery and I like that I can put the hotel in charge of everything so I have someone to go back to if it's not correct and also charge it to my room an pay with my Surpass card (hopefully getting about 30% in HHonors points accrual).  Anyway, thought I'd share.

Kosher menu "from Conrad"
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B91uLHnz8Fa3LVVZWUJnYURuYTVUTUpLd3NCOGpacHBWNEc4/view?usp=sharing

Chabad explains it all here about how their restaurants are subsidized:
http://www.jewishthailand.com/templates/articlecco_cdo/aid/913646/jewish/Koh-Samui.htm

regular menu from Chabad restaurant:
http://www.kosherthailand.com/kosher-restaurants-and-catering/restaurants-menus/kho-samui.html

Here is their catering menu (delivered to your hotel double wrapped and ready for consumption):
http://jewishthailand.com/media/pdf/626/cPrH6268595.pdf

The 'eat-in' chabad menu you have here is not the current one, prices increased slightly. Current menu is this one

http://www.chabadthailand.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ChabadKohSamui_MENU_low.pdf

Food was very good, in both quality and quantity.

Note that Chabad will also do deliveries from the milchig or fleishig places, prices are per the menu below plus taxi cost (I think approx 600 to Conrad). I just noticed menu is in Hebrew, i can translate if needed

http://www.chabadthailand.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/%D7%AA%D7%A4%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%98-%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%97%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%A1%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%99-0817.pdf

We were there for a week just now. Stayed in Centara Grand which is just opposite Chabad, 2 minutes walk. Excellent hotel, highly recommended (but not cheap...). Personally I like being in town. Hotel has a wonderful beach which is great for kids (and adults..). Our suite had a private pool (which no-one else can see) + 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms, and included club lounge access. We can easily get Pizza take-away from Chabad and eat in room or on beach!

Note that Shabbat was very busy, they had 1500 guests in total. Friday night was 600 at 7:15 sitting, then another 400 or so at 9:30, and 500 for lunch. Food was fine, but need to get there early to reserve seats. There was also a separate dinner for french speakers, not sure how many there. They asked for donation of 300 baht ($8?) per person per meal to cover costs, more if you like.

We were also a week in Chiang Mai, at 4* Yaang Come hotel. Highly recommend also, very large rooms with manual keys and beautiful pool/gardens. 5 mintes from chabad. approx $60 per room per night. Shabat was also busy, they had 3 sittings on Friday night with approx 450 guests in total (but Chabaad is much smaller)

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:02 PM »

I didnt make them get it again I just told them to make sure it was sealed the next day and of course it wasnt.  They even messed up a pom meal for me.

when my TR will be finished. anyways in the mean time you can PM me I will gladly share them
“I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work

Offline Denverite

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:41 PM »

Thanks for that reminder...I remember that from your TR but will email them AND remind them at check-in.  Actually it's probably another reason to order the meals through the Conrad so that if they open them I can tell them they need to take it off my bill.

+1 that I'd love to see Residence pics!  Also what exactly is in the kitchen? I couldn't tell from any online pictures.  Could I keep all the meals in our own fridge and heat them up myself in a microwave or oven?

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: August 30, 2017, 02:00:15 PM »
What you can also do is place a order directly with Chabad and have the Conrad pick it up with the shuttle that goes in 3 times a day to chaweng. I landed at 6 am and the restaurant only opens at 10 am worked out pretty well. And we warmed the food up in the microwave in the room(2 bedroom Vila don't know if the 1 bedroom has one).
You can also Ask them for brand new plates that were never used. They gave me an entire stack of when we arrived so we can take care of our food ourselves without going through the hassle of giving it to the kitchen. Also ask for plastic warp for the food. They are very helpful with everything.
They also opened my kosher breakfast twice and couldn't eat it and the chef came down to our room to apologize. FYI the breakfast they give for Dimond is nothing special so it's not even worth asking for.

listen its free... doesn't hurt to ask :)

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: August 30, 2017, 02:01:55 PM »
The 'eat-in' chabad menu you have here is not the current one, prices increased slightly. Current menu is this one

http://www.chabadthailand.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ChabadKohSamui_MENU_low.pdf

Note that Chabad will also do deliveries from the milchig or fleishig places, prices are per the menu below plus taxi cost (I think approx 1000 THB to Conrad). I just noticed menu is in Hebrew, i can translate if needed

http://www.chabadthailand.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/%D7%AA%D7%A4%D7%A8%D7%99%D7%98-%D7%9E%D7%A9%D7%9C%D7%95%D7%97%D7%99%D7%9D-%D7%A1%D7%9E%D7%95%D7%99-0817.pdf

We were there for a week just now. Stayed in Centara Grand which is just opposite Chabad, 2 minutes walk. Excellent hotel, highly recommended (but not cheap...). Personally I like being in town. Hotel has a wonderful beach which is great for kids (and adults..). Our suite had a private pool (which no-one else can see) + 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms, and included club lounge access. We can easily get Pizza take-away from Chabad and eat in room or on beach!

Note that Shabbat was very busy, they had 1500 guests in total. Friday night was 600 at 7:15 sitting, then another 400 or so at 9:30, and 500 for lunch. Food was fine, but need to get there early to reserve seats. There was also a separate dinner for french speakers, not sure how many there. They asked for donation of 300 baht ($8?) per person per meal to cover costs, more if you like.

We were also a week in Chiang Mai, at 4* Yaang Come hotel. Highly recommend also, very large rooms with manual keys and beautiful pool/gardens. 5 mintes from chabad. approx $60 per room per night. Shabat was also busy, they had 3 sittings on Friday night with approx 450 guests in total (but Chabaad is much smaller)

FTFY

Offline Z56

• View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: August 30, 2017, 02:06:44 PM »
Thanks for that reminder...I remember that from your TR but will email them AND remind them at check-in.  Actually it's probably another reason to order the meals through the Conrad so that if they open them I can tell them they need to take it off my bill.

+1 that I'd love to see Residence pics!  Also what exactly is in the kitchen? I couldn't tell from any online pictures.  Could I keep all the meals in our own fridge and heat them up myself in a microwave or oven?

PM me for the pictures. 2bdrm villa has a small kitchen, you can  keep your food in the kitchen

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3930 on: August 30, 2017, 02:57:58 PM »

Note that Chabad will also do deliveries from the milchig or fleishig places, prices are per the menu below plus taxi cost (I think approx 600 to Conrad). I just noticed menu is in Hebrew, i can translate if needed

Thanks for all this info! I've never seen a menu with all the dairy stuff so I really appreciate it.  Also did you go with kids? Have any fun activities? I'm planning to go with my 3 older kids and would love some reccomendations.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: August 30, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Thanks for all this info! I've never seen a menu with all the dairy stuff so I really appreciate it.  Also did you go with kids? Have any fun activities? I'm planning to go with my 3 older kids and would love some reccomendations.

Fully Milchig instore menu is here

http://www.chabadthailand.co.il/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Pizzeria_menu_koh_samui.pdf

Pizza is great, personal size. Can be a wait at busy times.
I went with 2 kids (5,15). We were busy in Chiang Mai so did less in KS - half day tour around the island (400 baht per hour for minivan + driver) and Ang Thong National Park by speedboat. Angthong highly recommnded, all really enjoyed. Included visits to 4 islands/bays, kayakking, snorkelling, deserted beach etc - lots of fun. That was 1300 per adult 800 per child under 12, including transport etc.
Others recommended 4 x 4 jeep tour of island (approx 1000 per person - book at mercaz lametayel) - but we didn't go. Spend most of the day at beach or hotel/private pools, with cheap massage most days (200 baht per hour)
Personally I was very happy being in Chaweng. Cost of suite at Centara was sijmilar to upcharge from Conrad to get 1 bedroom suite instead of standard reward room, but I loved having kosher restuarants + shopping + juice bars + 7-11 (with Hagen Dazs!) + 200 baht massages etc close by, with a private pool, free cocktails every evening etc. Also shabbat at chabad was a real experience, enjoyed it more than I thought I would!
Conrad seems rather remote to me, and misses out on the beautiful beach in Centara (which was where we spend most of our time)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:24:38 PM by G11600 »

Offline mochjas

• View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: August 30, 2017, 03:26:42 PM »

Conrad seems rather remote to me, and misses out on the beautiful beach in Centara (which was where we spend most of our time)
Conrad takes points and has amazing service! It is truly one of the best hotels Ive ever been too. I dont regret it for a second. All rooms have private pools as well. No need to upgrade really as all rooms are the same. The only upgrades are better views unless you can somehow get a 2 BR residence. Only Z56 was upgraded to that. I dont know anyone else from here that was. Denverite paid for it outright

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: August 30, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »
Conrad takes points and has amazing service! It is truly one of the best hotels Ive ever been too. I dont regret it for a second. All rooms have private pools as well. No need to upgrade really as all rooms are the same. The only upgrades are better views unless you can somehow get a 2 BR residence. Only Z56 was upgraded to that. I dont know anyone else from here that was. Denverite paid for it outright
To each their own, personal choice!
I wanted to take 2 kids (5,15) which is not possible in standard award room, and if it is possible would be very tight. Conrad charge 6000 Baht ++ per night for extra bed for 15 year old. They offered me 1 BR suite for addiitonal 10,000 ++ per night (by email) - but that is more than I paid outright for suite with private pool at Centara (without using any points).
See reviews of Centara here

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g676072-d506952-Reviews-Centara_Grand_Beach_Resort_Samui-Chaweng_Bophut_Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

Great service (especially at club), kids club etc

I generally use points - have been to Conrad Maldives etc - but in this case was pleased that i paid outright for Centara.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:43:10 PM by G11600 »

Offline Denverite

• View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: August 30, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
To each their own, personal choice!
I wanted to take 2 kids (5,15) which is not possible in standard award room, and if it is possible would be very tight. Conrad charge 6000 Baht ++ per night for extra bed for 15 year old. They offered me 1 BR suite for addiitonal 10,000 ++ per night (by email) - but that is more than I paid outright for suite with private pool at Centara (without using any points).
See reviews of Centara here

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g676072-d506952-Reviews-Centara_Grand_Beach_Resort_Samui-Chaweng_Bophut_Ko_Samui_Surat_Thani_Province.html

Great service (especially at club), kids club etc

I generally use points - have been to Conrad Maldives etc - but in this case was pleased that i paid outright for Centara.

I appreciate your perspective.  I "paid" for our 2BR but with a boatload of points, not money.  Honestly I'm ok with the remoteness because I've been to Thailand before and I wanted to keep my kids away from a lot of the seedy aspects of Thailand (drugs, sex trade, etc) although it seems like you enjoyed being there.  You didn't have any discomfort being in town with your kids?  I was wondering if Angthong was too long of a shlep but I'd really love to try it.  My youngest is also a 5yr old and if your kids had fun then that's a good sign!

I wish I would have looked into Shabbat more on the island.  Our current reservation are to fly to Singapore on Friday to have Shabbat with a minyan but I'm going to check into flights and maybe just staying on the Island for Shabbat and not wasting all of Friday traveling and then returning to the US via Bankok.

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: August 30, 2017, 04:01:33 PM »
I appreciate your perspective.  I "paid" for our 2BR but with a boatload of points, not money.  Honestly I'm ok with the remoteness because I've been to Thailand before and I wanted to keep my kids away from a lot of the seedy aspects of Thailand (drugs, sex trade, etc) although it seems like you enjoyed being there.  You didn't have any discomfort being in town with your kids?  I was wondering if Angthong was too long of a shlep but I'd really love to try it.  My youngest is also a 5yr old and if your kids had fun then that's a good sign!

I wish I would have looked into Shabbat more on the island.  Our current reservation are to fly to Singapore on Friday to have Shabbat with a minyan but I'm going to check into flights and maybe just staying on the Island for Shabbat and not wasting all of Friday traveling and then returning to the US via Bankok.

Enjoy!
I would recommend Shabbat in Chaweng, close to Chabad, there are plenty of reasonably priced hotels. You will get a good minyan for all tefilot (not as 'shleppy' as Singapore. Food is acceptable, not gourmet - but you can pick up extras before and after shabbat. It's also much cheaper than Singapore...
Chabad is not in the worst/seediest part of Chaweng, walk from Centara wasn't too bad.

Re Angthong - recommend, but remember it's a bit further from Conrad. I recommend you find a boat leaving from Nathon instead of Big Buddha/Bo Phut, as that's much closer to Conrad (and also closer to Angthong).

Forgot to mention that there is also daily minyan at chabad - when I was there shacharit was at 7:30 and 9:00, and mincha/maariv around Shkia (plus late maariv during the evening)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:37:31 PM by G11600 »

Offline PieRSquare

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: August 30, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »
Centara's hotels.com page says no cribs, can anyone confirm?

Offline G11600

• View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:29 AM »
Centara's hotels.com page says no cribs, can anyone confirm?

They have cribs, no charge I believe. you can contact the hotel at

csbr@chr.co.th

Worth asking Merkaz Lemetayel for a quote, they often have good rates, much better than hotel direct and other resellers

order@lametayel-thailand.com

Worth also noting that if you book direct on centara website you can get extra 10% off online rates if you get their (free) loyalty card...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:30:40 AM by G11600 »

Offline ad120

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: August 31, 2017, 12:47:31 AM »
Where is the best place to get a custom made suit in Chiang Mai?

Offline blue eyes

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: August 31, 2017, 01:22:27 AM »
I've read through the majority of posts and am super excited to go!
Sukkos in Thailand!
I need a little help planning the details.
It seems like the two main areas ppl spend time is in Ko Sumai and Chiang Mai. Both have chabads with a sukkah.
Since we will probably land in hong kong is it worth spending first days there vs chiang mai?
where should we spend chol hamoed and second days?
since I can book my tickets w free stop overs planning is essential.
thanks!