Topic Wiki

Upcoming Trips                                                                        Trip Reports
Proisrael
Martyb
ayman
SLMYRCB
benjie1305
shwarmabob gang
CS91 & EJB
Shauly

EJB
SRM
1st week of February
2nd week of February
3rd week of February
1st & 2nd week of April
2nd & 3rd week of July
2nd & 3rd week of July
3rd & 4th week of August
4th week of August

3rd week of January
3rd & 4th week of March
Dan Part 1, Dan Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 1 , ChikkyMonkey Part 2, ChikkyMonkey Part 3,
Aussiebochur, ZCN, Brian, TAVI, world2see, zvmiester, Cbs, Yehoshua, AJK, rots5,
Knowitall, Suave, Marco Polo, morgs

Inter-Thailand Flights   Bangkok Airways (PG)

PG flights are bookable on points through JAL, CX, EY and AB.

JAL
Required Mileage: Transferable from SPG. JAL uses a distance based award chart and allows up to a maximum of 7 stopovers (8 segments). To figure out how many points you will need, add up the total amount of miles that will be flown (can do this on GCMap.com) and then find the appropriate row in the award chart (http://www.ar.jal.com/ar/en/jalmile/use/partner_air/p_jmb/jmb_mile_ar.html). If you are traveling before 3/31/2017 there is a promotion for trips up to 4,000 miles (see http://www.jal.co.jp/121campaign/pg_discount/index_en.html for reduced mileage rates). The promotion makes JAL the best award redemption option for PG flights. 

Booking the Flight: The only way to find out if there is availability on the flight that you want is to call JAL. Recommended that you do so before transferring points. JAL doesn't allow you to hold a reservation so you have to hope that the flight doesn't get booked up while you're waiting for the point transfer to go through. Once the points post to your JAL account, call JAL back to book.
+1 800-525-3663 (5:00 - 18:00 PT) press 1 - 4 - JAL membership number - # - pin - # - 0 (for human or 1 for computer search)

Traveling with Infant: Tell JAL that you are flying with a lap child. They will put the infant on the reservation, but they will also tell you that you need to call PG directly to get the infant's ticket issued and pay for any taxes etc. JAL will only charge you for the adults on the reservation. Unless you speak Thai, calling PG won't work (when you press 9 for English when calling any of the Asian offices, the message will tell you to go to their website, and the office in Germany can't issue tickets). To add the infant, send an email to reservation@bangkokair.com with your confirmation number and tell them you want to have the lap infant's ticket issued. They will email you back with the price (data point: it was ~$96USD for CNX-USM-HKG for me) and ask you to reply with your cc info split into two separate emails for security (one email with first 8 digits, exp. and name on card, second email with last 8 digits, cvv, and billing address). I believe they only take Visa or MC. You'll then get an email back with confirmation.

Baggage Allowance: Economy passengers are allowed 20kg, infants (and dolls) are allowed 10kg. Excess weight on domestic flights will incur a charge of 80thb ($2.25ish) per kilo. International overage fee chart can be found here. Join the PG FlyingBonus program to receive an additional 10kg.

Contacting PG: In general, if you have any questions, the only way to speak with them in English besides email is PG Live Chat. You can find the link if you log in to your Flyer Bonus account. Chat reps are very helpful.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE TO PAY (JAL AND PG) WITH A CC BELONGING TO SOMEONE THAT IS TRAVELING ON THE ITINERARY. PG WILL SOMETIMES ASK YOU TO SHOW THE CC USED TO PAY FOR THE TRIP WHEN YOU CHECK IN, AND RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DENY BOARDING IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

CX
Required Mileage:

EY
Required Mileage:

AB
Required Mileage:

Bangkok   BKK/DMK

Hotels                                              Activities                                          Chabad                                                                Additional Info
Viengtai Hotel (Ohr Menachem)
Davis Hotel (Beth Elisheva)
Shangr-La (Even Chen)
Sheraton Resort (Hua Hin)
Riva Surya
Kao Sahn Rd
Night Markets (near stadium)
Shopping Malls
Grand Palace
Kanchanaburi (2 hrs away)
Floating Markets
Beth Elisheva (Financial & Shopping district)
Even Chen
Ohr Menachem (Kao Sahn Rd)
ALWAYS use meter in taxis and
   try to say destination in Thai - if you
   need help with numbers as Cbs ;)
(Free) sim in airport at kiosks -(true move(h- sim), dtac
   (happy(micro) sim for iPhone)
Songkran (water fight week)- April 13th!
Kosherthailand.com
BKK Luggage Lockers - 100 baht/day/bag (~$3)
Public Transport
Domestic flights:
   Air Asia, Tiger Air, Thai, Bangkok Air
Tailor:
   Rajawongse

Phuket/Patong/Koh Phi Phi/Krabi   HKT/KBV

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Westin
JW Marriott
Sala Resort
Sheraton Krabi
The Pavilions
Holiday Inn Koh Phi Phi
Ritz Carlton Reserve
places w/ private pools
Beaches
Monkey Show
Cable Skiing
Longtail Boats
Island Tour
Koh Phi Phi:
Diving
Fire Show (wed is biggest)
Maya Bay (full day trip)
Nice Lookouts
Kayaking (to Monkey Beach)
Thai Boxing
Beware of summer weather; monsoon season
Best weather: Jan - May
Island Tour (can be done as a day trip or overnight):
   Andaman River, Maya Bay, Similian Islands, Krabi Islands,
   Koh Lanta (Emerald Cave)

Koh Samui   USM

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                          Additional Info
The Conrad
Sunday Resort
Sheraton
Le Meridian
The W
Le Murrya (Near Chabad)
Fx Hotel (Near Chabad)
Beaches
Diving (Koa Phangan, Koh Tao)
Ang Thong Marine Park Islands
Water Sports (at chaweng and boh phut),
Safari Island (elephants, tigers, zip line)
Scooter (around island)
Kayaking $30
Koh Tao and Koh Nangyuan Island trip w/ snorkeling
The Conrad will gladly make arrangements with
   the Chabad restaurant for Kosher food. Email them at usmks.fb@conradhotels.com

Chiang Mai   CNX

Hotels                                                            Activities                                                                            Additional Info
Le Meridien (10 min. Walk to Chabad)
Shangri La (2 min. Walk to Chabad)
Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi
Sukantara Cascade Resort
Maese Elephant Show
Maetaeng Elephant Park
Patara Elephant Farm
Thai Elephant Home
Thoms Pai Elephant Camp
Bamboo Rafting
Tiger Kingdom
Monkey Shows
Snake Shows
Crocodile Shows
Zip Lining
Trekking
White Water Rafting
Longneck Tribe
Gun Shooting
Night Safari
Temples/Palaces
Chiang Mai River Boat (To Cooking School)
Extreme Sports!
Repelling
Caving,
ATVing
Bungee
Segways
Rent motorbikes (5$ day)
3D museum right down the road from Chabad
   (if you have an hour or two to kill)
Sunday Market (ratchadamonoen  Rd, old city)
Night Market (Changklan Rd, near Chabad & Le Meridien)
Sat Night Market (Wua Lai)
Tiger Kingdom is best in morning
Use ישראל 669  as travel agent for trips
   (next door to Chabad)
Recommended Zip Line: Flight of Gibbon or Flying Squirrel,
   can be reserved through Yackov (המרכז המטייל)
   for best price.
When reserving tours, ask for a discount due to
   using your own transportation
Tailors:
   CM Tailors
His and Hers- 3 minute walk from LM on the way to chabbad.

Chiang Rai   CEI/4hr drive from CNX

Le Meridien
Four Seasons Tent Camp Golden Triangle
Black House
Queens Residence
Night market
Day trip to Burma/Myanmar
Waterfalls
White Temple
Ruaamit elephant camp
Pai village (3 hr drive)
Hot Springs
Scooters
Golden Triangle

« Last edited by CR on July 26, 2020, 11:38:14 AM »

Author Topic: Thailand Master Thread  (Read 732367 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Thailand Master Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2011, 10:30:55 PM »
Monday morning.
So you can be in CNX (Chiang Mai) on Sunday?
One of my regrets (besides for not tailoring clothes) was not being in CNX on Sunday night for the famous Sunday night market that everyone was talking about.
If you can change your ticket to arrive Sunday, I would do it.  You'll have plenty of time to also stop for food in the Chabad house, stay in the excellent Le Meridian, and then hit up the animal shows on Monday.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
So you can be in CNX (Chiang Mai) on Sunday?
One of my regrets (besides for not tailoring clothes) was not being in CNX on Sunday night for the famous Sunday night market that everyone was talking about.
If you can change your ticket to arrive Sunday, I would do it.  You'll have plenty of time to also stop for food in the Chabad house, stay in the excellent Le Meridian, and then hit up the animal shows on Monday.
The Motzei Shabbos flight is now available. So I can arrive in BKK, Sunday 5:30am.
If I can add BKK-CNX-BKK to my ticket it'll only cost $90 change fee.

As of now, my continuing flight from BKK is Monday 7:30pm.

If I wanted to go to Chiang Mai and get some clothes tailored, should I go straight to CNX Sunday morning, see the animal shows, see the market at night and fly back to BKK Monday early enough to get to the tailor OR
Go to the tailor Sunday morning (are they open Sunday?), then go to CNX, see the night markets and then go to the animal shows Monday?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2011, 01:52:42 AM »
The Motzei Shabbos flight is now available. So I can arrive in BKK, Sunday 5:30am.
If I can add BKK-CNX-BKK to my ticket it'll only cost $90 change fee.

As of now, my continuing flight from BKK is Monday 7:30pm.

If I wanted to go to Chiang Mai and get some clothes tailored, should I go straight to CNX Sunday morning, see the animal shows, see the market at night and fly back to BKK Monday early enough to get to the tailor OR
Go to the tailor Sunday morning (are they open Sunday?), then go to CNX, see the night markets and then go to the animal shows Monday?
Why do you need to go to BKK at all?
You can spend 2 great days/1 night in CNX.
There are plenty of tailors in CNX.  I'm not sure if they're open on Sunday or what their turnaround time is though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2011, 02:00:05 AM »
Why do you need to go to BKK at all?
You can spend 2 great days/1 night in CNX.
There are plenty of tailors in CNX.  I'm not sure if they're open on Sunday or what their turnaround time is though.
I don't have to, only the tailors that I've heard recommended are all in BKK (guessing that's just where most people get their stuff done). Anyone know a good tailor in Chiang Mai?

That would be great. TG has availability 7:45-9:05 on Sunday morning, returning 5:05-6:15pm Monday. Is 1:15 cutting too close to connect in BKK.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2011, 02:09:27 AM »
I don't have to, only the tailors that I've heard recommended are all in BKK (guessing that's just where most people get their stuff done). Anyone know a good tailor in Chiang Mai?

That would be great. TG has availability 7:45-9:05 on Sunday morning, returning 5:05-6:15pm Monday. Is 1:15 cutting too close to connect in BKK.
Is it a TG-TG connection?  Should be fine.  I wouldn't do an Air Asia connection like that though.

I know one couple we met at the Chabad house on Shabbos was raving about a CNX tailor that they always use, but we were leaving Sunday afternoon. 
The young shluchim there are GREAT.  Give him a call or drop him a email to see if he might know of any tailors that he or others use.

Walking down the main street in CNX (Chabad, Le Meridian, and the daily night market-not the sunday night market are on the same street)  you'll pass by dozens of insanely cheap tailors and massage places.  Just don't forget that bargaining is the name of the game here.
They may ask for 1,000 Baht (~$30) for the La Coste or Ralph Lauren knockoff polo but they'll go down to 120 (~$4).  Same for an all-day driver to the animal places.

Look at Chikky's earlier post in this thread for more CNX activities like rafting, etc.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2011, 02:28:05 AM »
Is it a TG-TG connection?  Should be fine.  I wouldn't do an Air Asia connection like that though.

I know one couple we met at the Chabad house on Shabbos was raving about a CNX tailor that they always use, but we were leaving Sunday afternoon. 
The young shluchim there are GREAT.  Give him a call or drop him a email to see if he might know of any tailors that he or others use.

Walking down the main street in CNX (Chabad, Le Meridian, and the daily night market-not the sunday night market are on the same street)  you'll pass by dozens of insanely cheap tailors and massage places.  Just don't forget that bargaining is the name of the game here.
They may ask for 1,000 Baht (~$30) for the La Coste or Ralph Lauren knockoff polo but they'll go down to 120 (~$4).  Same for an all-day driver to the animal places.

Look at Chikky's earlier post in this thread for more CNX activities like rafting, etc.
Yep, TG-TG.

Do you have details for the driver?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2011, 02:32:20 AM »
Yep, TG-TG.

Do you have details for the driver?
Just negotiate with any taxi in CNX.  Figure on negotiating 700-800 Baht for a driver to take you around all day.  Don't go to the animal parks by Tuk-Tuk but be sure to take one at some point during your stay,

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2011, 03:21:22 AM »
Looks like there is C&P's available which is awesome.

Officially, check in is 3pm. Any chance I can check in in the morning? Or at least drop my bag off?

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »
Looks like there is C&P's available which is awesome.

Officially, check in is 3pm. Any chance I can check in in the morning? Or at least drop my bag off?

Most hotels, have a storage room for bags, when u check-in early, or check-out late.

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »
When are you going? summer is not high season for thailand so good chance you can check in early....

Not sure about CNX tailors but in general you have to watch who you buy from... In BKK I have used and can only recommend Rajawongse Tailer (dress-for-success.com) CNX may have some decent but I doubt it will be as good quality as BKK especially for shirts..

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2011, 10:34:17 AM »
When are you going? summer is not high season for thailand so good chance you can check in early....

Not sure about CNX tailors but in general you have to watch who you buy from... In BKK I have used and can only recommend Rajawongse Tailer (dress-for-success.com) CNX may have some decent but I doubt it will be as good quality as BKK especially for shirts..

Next month.

So would you recommend spending some time in BKK to get some clothes tailored or will it take too much time away from Chiang Mai?
How long does it take for them to measure you up? I presume they can make it and then ship it to you, correct?

Currently, I can do the following,
Arr. BKK Sun.5:30
Sun BKK-CNX, 7:45-9:05

Mon CNX-BKK 17:05-18:15
Depart BKK 19:30
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:39:01 AM by aussiebochur »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »
Email to ask for early check-in: reservations.chiangmai@lemeridien.com

I didn't leave the BKK airport, but I don't think the airport is close to where you would want to be-it's a very sprawling city.

Chiang Mai is much more compact.
There definitely are good tailors in CNX-I just don't know who they are.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2011, 10:14:02 PM »
Seems like the tailors are closed Sunday (at least Chikky's one).

To get back to BKK earlier on Monday would mean leaving in the mid-morning.(No midday, early afternoon flight available.)
I don't think its worth missing a day in Chiang Mai for the difference in quality of the shirts (if there is one).

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
Seems like the tailors are closed Sunday (at least Chikky's one).

To get back to BKK earlier on Monday would mean leaving in the mid-morning.(No midday, early afternoon flight available.)
I don't think its worth missing a day in Chiang Mai for the difference in quality of the shirts (if there is one).
Nope, enjoy the time in CNX-Fun little city!

I'm not sure if the regular night market goes on as usual on Sunday, but if it does check that out as well.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »
Is everything very time consuming or can you get from one thing to another quite quickly?

Dan, from your trip report (ye, some of us read it and appreciate it ;)), it seems like you did most of the activities on one day? Were you very pressed for time the whole day? You mentiontaking the elephant ride at the show for that reason.

Trying to figure what I can realistically fit in 1.5 days. Want to do as much as possible but don't want to be run off my feet rushing from place to place without enjoying...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2011, 10:33:35 PM »
Is everything very time consuming or can you get from one thing to another quite quickly?

Dan, from your trip report (ye, some of us read it and appreciate it ;)), it seems like you did most of the activities on one day? Were you very pressed for time the whole day? You mentiontaking the elephant ride at the show for that reason.

Trying to figure what I can realistically fit in 1.5 days. Want to do as much as possible but don't want to be run off my feet rushing from place to place without enjoying...
All of the animal stuff is in the same area and can be done fairly quickly.
We did it on a short Friday so we didn't do the elephant ride at the other place and didn't go rafting, etc.

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 16, 2011, 09:04:55 AM »
Bugger.
Had an Aeroplan agent willing to add BKK-CNX-BKK to my award ticket. Didnt pull the trigger cos I was wasnt sure.

Now they wont do it (its not allowed) so Im going to have to pay.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 16, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Bugger.
Had an Aeroplan agent willing to add BKK-CNX-BKK to my award ticket. Didnt pull the trigger cos I was wasnt sure.

Now they wont do it (its not allowed) so Im going to have to pay.

Try again and again and again. Eventually you'll find someone

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 16, 2011, 09:39:12 AM »
So, back to Air Asia.

I can arrive BBK 5:30am Sunday.

Air Asia has a flight at 6:40am. Is that too tight?
Otherwise the next flight is at 10:30am.

On Monday, I leave BKK 7:30pm.
The Air Asia flight before that is 2:35-3:45pm.

Cost: THB3955 ($130)

The TG flights I wanted were,
BKK-CNX, 7:45-9:05am Sunday
CNX-BKK, 5:05-6:15pm Monday

I can buy them for $264/$333 Economy/Business. Is it worth the extra money to spend 5 hours longer in Chiang Mai, smoother connections and nicer flights?

If I have bags, will they check them all the way through in/out of CNX, being that it will be two seperate tickets? (Both arriving and departing flights are on the same airline, TG)

Perhaps there is another low cost airline that will work better?

Offline aussiebochur

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 16, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
Try again and again and again. Eventually you'll find someone
On my fourth try.
Couple agents have started doing it and then realized that I must transit BKK twice. Then they say its not allowed...

Damaxer, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

It was again and again and again AND again but I got an agent to process it. Just hope the re-ticketing isnt manual and someone else notices :-\
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:18:03 AM by aussiebochur »