Author Topic: Peru Master Thread  (Read 7855 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chile And Peru Master Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:41:15 PM »
Online it seems that you can only do RT, but it is possible that theyll do a one way award if you call.
apparently you can according to a FT poster, I tried getting them on the phone but didn't have time to be on hold, plus I can get an 89$ inc. tax rt from AEP-MVD from pluna's sale and not take the flight back, one way is more expensive so the question is weather to use 3k starwood to save $100 3.3 cpm according to my calculations

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Wow, those are some cheap prices for AEP-MVD!  Not worth the hassle of dealing with a LAN phone rep and using 3K SPG at those rates!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
Wow, those are some cheap prices for AEP-MVD!  Not worth the hassle of dealing with a LAN phone rep and using 3K SPG at those rates!
the lan flight would be the SCL-AEP segment so the choices are 3k spg and 89$ or 190$ for the 3 leg trip hence the save $100 part

update: it seems from further reading up on LAN on Ft that LAN doesn't let you redeem one ways although you can do one way than a short cheap segment.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 05:15:54 PM by E »

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 01:23:21 AM »
My Two cents about Peru and Chile:
Peru: Cuzco is definitely the hottest spot in Peru, definitely go to Machu Picchu, make sure to climb up to Guaina Picchu, you get there by train from Cuzco.
The Nazca Lines are pretty amazing, you can do a helicopter ride or even small airplane, or you can see two of them from on top of a nearby mountain. Around that area you can also go sandboarding.
Another beautiful place to visit in Peru is Huaraz.
I am writing in short, you can do more research about these places online.
Lima, don't spend more than a day there, visit the Miraflores (downtown) area..
I remember flying Lan within Peru itself, Possibly flew AA to LIM.
Chile: Santiago is pretty boring. If you like skiing there are lots of resorts there and also there is an active vulcano somewhere in the south I believe.
Yep, in a nutshell..
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 01:18:52 AM »
Anyone know anything about the trains to and from Machu Picchu? I need to get from the sacred valley to M.P. and I only see trains with Peru rail and the night train that I want back from MP is already booked. Are there any other options? I am staying in Urambamba, and going in August.

I found something that looks good on Machupicchutrain.com and was wondering if they are good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:25:58 AM by Fan of Dan »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »
I just booked my trip to Peru getting to Lima on Sunday morning and leaving Cuzco to connect in Lima Wednesday night. Does it make sense to go to Cuzco Sunday afternoon so I can spend 3 nights in the area? Or is Lima worth a night?

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
I just booked my trip to Peru getting to Lima on Sunday morning and leaving Cuzco to connect in Lima Wednesday night. Does it make sense to go to Cuzco Sunday afternoon so I can spend 3 nights in the area? Or is Lima worth a night?
How long is your stopover in Lima on the return?
I guess you can spend a night in Lima, Cuzco is relatively small and 3 days/2 nights days including 1 day (morning till evening) in Machu Picchu should fit just right IIRC.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »
How long is your stopover in Lima on the return?
I guess you can spend a night in Lima, Cuzco is relatively small and 3 days/2 nights days including 1 day (morning till evening) in Machu Picchu should fit just right IIRC.
I have an 8 hour stopover and I have a driver who can show us all the sights in Lima then.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 12:34:10 AM »
I have an 8 hour stopover and I have a driver who can show us all the sights in Lima then.
I don't want to mess up your vacation based on my old recollections from when I was there...
Also, I don't know what you like and what type of trip you are taking.
All I can say is Cuzco is unique, Lima is a big city with its attractions.
Your best bet is to check out tripadvisor.com, it is really a great site with real people's reviews and ratings about each attraction.
It will make it much easier for you to plan your trip according to your needs/wants.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2012, 12:52:33 AM »
I don't want to mess up your vacation based on my old recollections from when I was there...
Also, I don't know what you like and what type of trip you are taking.
All I can say is Cuzco is unique, Lima is a big city with its attractions.
Your best bet is to check out tripadvisor.com, it is really a great site with real people's reviews and ratings about each attraction.
It will make it much easier for you to plan your trip according to your needs/wants.
Ok I will definitly do that. Tnks for all the pointers. Just curious was the Tambo del Inka around when you went? If not check it out, awesome cat 4. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3285
 May just spend 3 nights based out of there.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 01:01:19 AM »
Ok I will definitly do that. Tnks for all the pointers. Just curious was the Tambo del Inka around when you went? If not check it out, awesome cat 4. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=3285
 May just spend 3 nights based out of there.
That looks gorgeous, looks like a trip in itself.
In my experience I stayed at a place right by "Plaza de Armas" at the old city where all the action takes place.
I landed there with a friend with no prior hotel reservation and we did just fine, although I agree that thing need to be more planned out with the wife..
Bear in mind that said hotel is about an hour away from all the "action"..

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 01:07:34 AM »
That looks gorgeous, looks like a trip in itself.
In my experience I stayed at a place right by "Plaza de Armas" at the old city where all the action takes place.
I landed there with a friend with no prior hotel reservation and we did just fine, although I agree that thing need to be more planned out with the wife..
Bear in mind that said hotel is about an hour away from all the "action"..
Yes a wife changes the entire equation.  On TA about this hotel, 292 ppl rated it the highest score, 18 ppl the second highest and just 7 ppl rated it lower than that, so it looks pretty solid. Sometimes SPG can be pretty usefull.

As I am flying out of Cuzco on Wednesday at 430 pm I figured I would just hang out in cusco on the last day. Tues I am going to MP (hotel is in that direction) so that really just gives me Monday to figure out what to do. It looks like I will get a kick out of just seeing those Peruvians running around in their interesting clothing!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 01:26:51 AM by Fan of Dan »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:52 PM »
I spent a week in Peru as part of my South America trip. Any interest in a trip report?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14379
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:08 PM »
Yes!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chile And Peru Master Thread
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »
"Not all who wander are lost"