Author Topic: Peru Master Thread  (Read 37314 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Chile And Peru Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
Thanks! Machu Picchu is one of those things which were on my bucket list as a Bochur which will probably have to wait now till my mid-life crisis :))

Offline Fan of Dan

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 10:34:55 PM »
Trip report continued.

Monday morning we decided to take a tour of the sacred valley. We used the driver we had met in Cuzco, as he only charged us 40 dollars for a full day from 10 am to 4. Keep in mind that he was coming from an hour away... We went to many different ruins, of which some were cool others required some imagination to appreciate. What I enjoyed was watching the locals get around, riding their donkeys, cutting their wheat by hand etc. We went to Moray, Moras and Salinas. Moray and Moras are different structures built into the mountain and Salinas is this really cool salt field. Hard to describe but very cool. We then called it a day and went back to the hotel. We wanted time to enjoy the resort as it isn't worth wasting. We walked around the town we were staying in (which you would never know existed if you did not leave the resort grounds). We were nervous at first as it is really poor, and people make in a month there what you pay for a coke, but everyone was nice. People were putting whole pigs (dead) in the back of bicycles to eat. They had a local market and everyone was dancing, though I was not sure why.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:52 PM »
Sacred valley

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »
Moray and Salinas

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 12:25:55 AM »
Tuesday we went to Machu Picchu. In order to get there you need to buy an entrance ticket a few weeks in advance as they sell out. You will also need to buy way in advance train tickets as you can only get there by train, or the Inka trail (which sells out even faster and takes a few days to hike). Trains leave from Cuzco and take about 2.5 hours I think, but we went from the Sacred Valley, where we were staying. It is closer and cheaper this way. The train leaves from Ollytatambo, which is my favorite city in Peru. Huge mountains and a lot of fun people watching. There are several ruins there as well. We hung out there for 2 hours until our train was scheduled to leave.

We arrived at Aguas Calientas, which is where Machu Picchu is located around 1 pm. You then need to buy tickets in town for the bus to Machu Picchu. Don't try walking it is really far and uphill. Buses run every ten minutes. We got to Machu Picchu and gave in our tickets. We then went into the park and were blown away by the ruins. They are surrounded by these huge mountains and cliffs, and are really spectacular. The ruins are in great condition and you really get a feel for what it was like. I really enjoyed it even though I am not a history guy. There were llamas roaming around, which just added to the experience that was worth coming to Peru for. We then took the bus down to and hung around Aguas Calientes until our train left. There are lots of great places to buy souvenirs and it's fun to hang out there (like everywhere in that part of Peru). Our train ride home was quite an experience. We were waiting for our train but it wan't coming. All of the sudden a train from a different company came and everyone just got on. We just followed the crowd and boarded after realizing our train was cancelled and our company had rebooked us with their competition. No announcement or anything just utter chaos. Peru style I guess.

Wednesday was our final day. We had a red eye flight to Rio de Janiero which we booked on TACA at 20K UA points a piece. This gave us the day to tour Cuzco before flying to Lima for our connection. We hired a driver to take us to Cuzco and then toured the city, We then went to the airport and enjoyed watching part of the ceiling fall onto the head of the Lan employee helping us. Only in Peru. Our flight from Cuzco to Lima we booked with Avios which was 4.5K IIRC. We had a 3 hour layover in Lima airport but there is a great lounge there which has shower facilities etc. There is even a machine which you put in oranges and you get freshly squeezed OJ. That was the end of the Peru part of our trip!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:21:14 AM by Fan of Dan »

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »
Tuesday we went to Machu Picchu. In order to get there you need to buy an entrance ticket a few weeks in advance as they sell out. You will also need to buy way in advance train tickets as you can only get there by train, or the Inka trail (which sells out even faster and takes a few days to hike). Trains leave from Cuzco and take about 2.5 hours I think, but we went from the Sacred Valley, where we were staying. It is closer and cheaper this way. The train leaves from Ollytatambo, which is my favorite city in Peru. Huge mountains and a lot of fun people watching. There are several ruins there as well. We hung out there for 2 hours until our train was scheduled to leave.

We arrived at Aguas Calientas, which is where Machu Picchu is located around 1 pm. You then need to buy tickets in town for the bus to Machu Picchu. Don't try walking it is really far and uphill. Buses run every ten minutes. We got to Machu Picchu and gave in our tickets. We then went into the park and were blown away by the ruins. They are surrounded by these huge mountains and cliffs, and are really spectacular. The ruins are in great condition and you really get a feel for what it was like. I really enjoyed it even though I am not a history guy. There were llamas roaming around and the experience was worth coming to Peru for. We then took the bus down to and hung around Aguas Calientes until our train left. There are lots of great places to buy souvenirs and it's fun to hang out there (like everywhere in that part of Peru). Our train ride home was quite an experience. We were waiting for our train but it wan't coming. All of the sudden a train from a different company came and everyone just got on. We just followed the crowd and boarded after realizing our train was cancelled and our company had rebooked us with their competition. No announcement or anything just utter chaos. Peru style I guess.

Wednesday was our final day. We had a red eye flight to Rio de Janiero which we booked on TACA at 20K UA points a piece. This gave us the day to tour Cuzco before flying to Lima for our connection. We hired a driver to take us to Cuzco and then toured the city, We then went to the airport and enjoyed watching part of the ceiling fall onto the head of the Lan employee helping us. Only in Peru. Our flight from Cuzco to Lima we booked with Avios which was 4.5K IIRC. We had a 3 hour layover in Lima airport but there is a great lounge there which has shower facilities etc. There is even a machine which you put in oranges and you get freshly squeezed OJ. That was the end of the Peru part of our trip!!
It sounds like machu picchu is just about sight seeing, are there any activities involved? Is there any hikes you have to go in order to get there or are there any optional hikes or climbing?

The lounge in lima is pretty nice but was extremely crowded when I was there, though the shower was very refreshing.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2013, 01:24:10 AM »
It sounds like machu picchu is just about sight seeing, are there any activities involved? Is there any hikes you have to go in order to get there or are there any optional hikes or climbing?

The lounge in lima is pretty nice but was extremely crowded when I was there, though the shower was very refreshing.
Machu Picchu itself is pretty large and you will need to walk for around 2 hours at the bare minimum to see the main sights. Then there is a mountain which overlooks MP which is an extremely steep hike up. It costs extra and you can only do it early in the morning so that is why we skipped it, as we came later in the day. But it is supposed to be a huge draw.

In the picture I added the hike is the steep mountain towards the right of MP.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 01:27:42 AM by Fan of Dan »

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »
Machu Picchu.

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:09 AM »
There IS actually a hike to Huayna Picchu, a small portion of the ruins which is located in two spots all the way on top of the mountain IIRC.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2013, 02:05:47 AM »
@Fan of Dan: Amazing TR! Brought back some great memories. Looks like you really did it well there! Did you visit "Bayit shel Fistuk" the Israeli home? Quite an experience in itself..

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2013, 09:19:56 AM »
@Fan of Dan: Amazing TR! Brought back some great memories. Looks like you really did it well there! Did you visit "Bayit shel Fistuk" the Israeli home? Quite an experience in itself..
Thank you!! We did not end up visiting them, because we never slept in Cuzco. I did meet the whole Chabad family from Cuzco unfortunately in the airport. I say that because it seemed that they had lost an infant and were flying to Israel for kevura. Was very sad. What was amazing was that I was shmoozing with the shaliach and he gave off such a happy friendly and welcoming impression. I only realized what was going on when his 6 year old daughter walked up to me and started asking me questions in Hebrew.

Offline txtmax4

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
Wow, that's sad :(

Offline awardticket

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 02:36:23 PM »
Nice trip report!!

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile

Offline Martyb

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Peru Master Thread
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 04:16:24 PM »
Just got back from Peru/Machu Pichu - Will try to get TR out at some point - If anone has any questions feel free to PM me

Offline HP58

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »
Just got back from Peru/Machu Pichu - Will try to get TR out at some point - If anone has any questions feel free to PM me
Can't wait for that TR. Peru is on top of my list in South America...

Online shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Does anyone know the best place to stay if going to chabbad in Cusco for shabbos?
Affordable and cleanliness balance.

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2015, 11:56:05 PM »
Does anyone know the best place to stay if going to chabbad in Cusco for shabbos?
Affordable and cleanliness balance.

Chabad in CUZ is seasonal.

Online shmebeble

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2015, 08:53:04 PM »
Anyone have experience bringing food into Peru.
Salami? Meal Mart meals?
Any options once I am there?

Offline Brian93

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2015, 10:03:06 PM »
Anyone have experience bringing food into Peru.
Salami? Meal Mart meals?
Any options once I am there?
I don't think bringing in is such an issue, but you should be able to to get from the shliach in Lima