Author Topic: Argentina Master Thread  (Read 162431 times)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Argentina Master Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 31, 2013, 03:16:31 PM »
It's not that we need Argentine sushi. It's that it was right by the PH.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 31, 2013, 05:48:11 PM »
Luba is a medium priced dairy / pareve  restaurant. We got a gnocchi souffle (no clue why it's called a souffle though) and salmon ravioli. Both were very good, although the gnocchi could be shared (they said it's enough for 1.5 people).

The ravioli were ARS$115 and the gnocchi were ARS$95. The restaurant only fits 18, and that was pushing it. We arrived at 1:15 and got the last two seats.

Even though when we got there it wasn't all that crowded, as soon as people started showing up for their reservations around 1:30-2:00p it got quite packed. I'd suggest a reservation if you want to guarantee a seat.

In terms of distance from the PH, it's not that bad, so if we haven't gone to Sushi Go first it would've only been a 10 minute or so walk.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 31, 2013, 05:59:49 PM »
Went to Freddo today and tried their dairy ice creams. All I can say is if maichel was amazing, Freddo dairy was super amazing, especially the Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Suisa.

I then went next door to a Successo store. I was chatting with the owner about her favorite alfajores and what she'd recommend. When I told her I'd never tried one before she was shocked and insisted I take a two pack to bring for my wife to try. It really helps to be fluent in Spanish :-)

I tied the chocolate alfajores and I really liked them. The cookies were so soft it almost melted in your mouth. How so they compare to the bakeries' alfajores?

Offline frumeyid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 01, 2013, 09:32:39 AM »
Dan, can you help me out with my ferry issue? Theyre about 150 dollars for round trip tickets and, withthe visas, this will really add up. Should I just book it when I get there? Will I be able to pay argentine pesos even though Im getting the tickets in Montevideo?

Offline dginz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz #1 Five Star
« Reply #304 on: November 03, 2013, 12:18:35 AM »
What is the best option in terms of Cell service there?
I plan on being there for a week and want to get a sim for calls and text. If possible also some internet. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 03, 2013, 08:09:51 AM »
What is the best option in terms of Cell service there?
I plan on being there for a week and want to get a sim for calls and text. If possible also some internet. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

T-Mobile. They offer free texting and data that work great here. Calls over wifi are also free, but calls over the cell network will run you $0.20/minute. Plus, there are no contracts with T-Mobile so you can cancel at any time for free.

Offline dginz

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz #1 Five Star
« Reply #306 on: November 03, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Aha, not so interested in doing that. Anybody knows the best company in Argentina?

Thanks.

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 03, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »
FYI: I tried some Argentine cheese over shabbos. It tastes rotten, but people here said that's how it's supposed to taste. Weird. Dan, maybe that's why you though the pizza was with spoiled cheese? Just a guess.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #308 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:59 PM »
Wasn't the pizza, it was the filled dough items that sit on the counter.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline frumeyid

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 05, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »
I would really appreciate some help on my ferry issue. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Offline SGF

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2013, 01:42:27 AM »
FYI: I tried some Argentine cheese over shabbos. It tastes rotten, but people here said that's how it's supposed to taste. Weird. Dan, maybe that's why you though the pizza was with spoiled cheese? Just a guess.
funny that all non Argentinians say the same about the cheese, though it tastes fine to me.

Offline tzeekee123

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2013, 02:54:01 AM »
funny that all non Argentinians say the same about the cheese, though it tastes fine to me.

Milk and cheese is definitely not a strong point in Argentina (I usually stay away). But the meat! Gosh I miss that place!

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:19 AM »

Offline Frostboot

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 08, 2013, 09:11:01 PM »
Trip to BA planned for February. The more I think about the reciprocity fee the more I am getting pissed off! $320 right off the bat before I step in the country!?!?! Did this put a damper on any of your vacations?

Offline Yehoshua

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 09, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
Trip to BA planned for February. The more I think about the reciprocity fee the more I am getting pissed off! $320 right off the bat before I step in the country!?!?! Did this put a damper on any of your vacations?
Not really. Since you pay it in advance you kinda forget about it. Also, it's good for 10 years so that makes return trips a lot easier to plan. Just pay it and forget about it unless you don't really want to see southern South America; they all charge $160.

Offline dovid2880

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
Not really. Since you pay it in advance you kinda forget about it. Also, it's good for 10 years so that makes return trips a lot easier to plan. Just pay it and forget about it unless you don't really want to see southern South America; they all charge $160.

Southern South America: Brazil, Argentina and Chile charge a reciprocity fee. Uruguay doesn't.

Offline Bosco

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2014, 04:00:55 PM »
Anyone have some pesos theyd be willing to sell? Going to Montevideo and Buenos Aires next week.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »
Good Twitter account for the number you should target:
https://twitter.com/DolarBlue

Offline Bosco

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
So were in buenos aires until Sunday night. Arrived last night. So far we tried Luba, Asian and Freddo parve sorbet (we were fleishig from Asian).

Luba wasnt so amazing but, to their credit, we ordered paninis and they just didnt have the bread for it. They used regular white bread and it took pretty long so they gave us our food for free! Even though it wasnt good, I was very impressed by how they treated us and would definitely go back to give it another shot.

To drop a bombshell, after all of the hype ive seen on this forum on Asian, I was really expecting something that would blow my mind. The beef spring rolls lacked flavor, the bbq ribs were far from the best Ive tasted and my medium rib steak was well done. Again, to their credit, because the bbq ribs were very fatty (a good thing in my opinion) they added another (well done) rib steak to the ribs order before they even brought it so that was nice. However, the food was far from impressive. Maybe I just ordered the wrong things. We plan on going back to try the sweetbreads, roasted beef and thai beef salad if they have it. Maybe the pastrami thing as well.

The freddo sorbet was amazing. We got lemon and passionfruit/orange. We really enjoyed it. Going to get some milchig stuff tomorrow and hang out in Once. Please post if anyone has any tips.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2014, 09:21:05 PM »
You probably need to special order the roasted beef and Thai beef salad.