Author Topic: Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park  (Read 14497 times)

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #195 on: March 19, 2017, 11:29:13 AM »
Also, in the Tetons area there are only north-south roads. So if you get clouded in, there's no where to run a few hours earlier for a better chance.

You want a spot that has easy east-west access.

Got it. I disabled that warning setting that tells me someone has posted while I was typing and thats what i get :)
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline mendy613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 19, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
What exactly is this "US trip"?  Lots of car time?  If your kiddos could handle lots of time in car, I wouldn't skip Yellowstone.  There are lots of great views that require a walk, not exactly a hike.  I'm not really into hiking either.  I'd skip Grand Teton.

(As part of a two week trip, we went to Glacier and Yellowstone/Grand Teton.  Did the seven hour guided hike to Iceberg Lake in Glacier NP.  It was beautiful, but arrived back at the car in such pain (leg and knee), I would not have been able to drive.  I was doing nothing even remotely like that the following week in Yellowstone.  We did mostly walks of about 20-30 minutes IIRC, and had a great time.  I was underwhelmed with Grand Teton. This was pre-kids.)

Basically for the last four years the DW and i have been trying to visit all states, mainly leveraging our SW CP.
Now that we have two children and two Companion Passes we are hoping to for our fourth time with all four of us.

Reading the few posts after your reply is why we have stayed away from the national parks until now, we are lazyish and enjoy staying in a nice hotel and maybe doing one or two big things in each state (we have roughly two months).

Problem is, we did already most states and only have some states with big parks left.. This summer I hoping to do Minnesota, both Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon.

Just a bit confused about these huge parks, if its worth it driving around to some of the famous places within, taking some pictures and leaving.
Having a stroller or two wont make hiking to practical and - like i mentioned - its not our thing.

Offline SSLPhD

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 19, 2017, 01:08:15 PM »

Basically for the last four years the DW and i have been trying to visit all states, mainly leveraging our SW CP.
Now that we have two children and two Companion Passes we are hoping to for our fourth time with all four of us.

Reading the few posts after your reply is why we have stayed away from the national parks until now, we are lazyish and enjoy staying in a nice hotel and maybe doing one or two big things in each state (we have roughly two months).

Problem is, we did already most states and only have some states with big parks left.. This summer I hoping to do Minnesota, both Dakotas, Montana, Idaho, Washington and Oregon.

Just a bit confused about these huge parks, if its worth it driving around to some of the famous places within, taking some pictures and leaving.
Having a stroller or two wont make hiking to practical and - like i mentioned - its not our thing.
Many of the short "hikes" in Yellowstone are wheelchair accessible, so strollers are no problem.  By "no hiking," do you mean you won't walk 5 minutes to see something spectacular?  What about 10 minutes? 15?  Whatever your limit is, even if just driving and not getting out of the car, I personally would not skip Yellowstone.

Regarding stuff to do in the other states, ask in appropriate threads.  I recently started a Washington State thread, but not that much interest it seems.  I can answer some questions, maybe post a TR if you'd find that helpful.
AK,AZ,CA,CT,(DE),FL,HI,(IL),ME,MD,(MA),(MN),MT,NV,NH,NJ,NY,OR,PA,(RI),TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WY

Offline yslkwd

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:28 PM »
Couldn't agree more
We went with 2 little kids
Yellowstone requires very little walking

Offline mendy613

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 07, 2017, 01:10:25 AM »
Following up to what i wrote above, I know its been asked before, but is five days too much?
The new Marriott in Jackson Hole is  really expensive paid, but 35k a night. (Fifth night free..)

Given that we like staying put and cant really hike, maybe short day trips will work for the few days?