Author Topic: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks  (Read 125755 times)

Offline Galitzyaner

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: Teton National Park and Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2017, 02:30:58 AM »
Teton is awesome.  I recommend the Teton crest trail. Take lift at Jackson hole to start and avoid that ascent. 4 days on trail.
Really?! I was so annoyed that I wasted a whole day driving around Teton last summer. So underwhelming.

OTOH I was so awed by the wonders at Yellowstone, that I actually plan to go back there this month!

Offline thaber

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile

Offline henche

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
Really?! I was so annoyed that I wasted a whole day driving around Teton last summer. So underwhelming.

OTOH I was so awed by the wonders at Yellowstone, that I actually plan to go back there this month!

Yah. But I hiked the Teton crest trail

Offline Yammer

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »

Did you read @somethingsfishy TR?

Offline Galitzyaner

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Did you read @somethingsfishy TR?
The pics, yeah.
He's always gonna have spectacular pics whatever he photographs ;) .
Really, think about it, the entire Teton NP is all literally about one mountain view?! Whatever you're photographing (unless you're zoche to see wildlife) is all that mountain!
Yellowstone is about so much more.

Anyways, obviously this is just my (and my wife - who was with me) personal opinion, perhaps a little too simplistic, but a simple guy I am.
Yellowstone talks to me. Bryce, GC, they talked to me too... to give you an idea.
So, my advice to anyone reading this: If you're a simple guy, not one of those sophisticated folks sitting around NP with fancy camera equipment waiting for a nice sighting or many different views of the same mountain, if you're short on time (like most simple folks ;) ) either skip Teton entirely or just drive through it on your way to Yellowstone and that'll be way more than enough for you.

Offline hachover

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
Really, think about it, the entire Teton NP is all literally about one mountain view?! Whatever you're photographing (unless you're zoche to see wildlife) is all that mountain!

So, my advice to anyone reading this: If you're a simple guy, not one of those sophisticated folks sitting around NP with fancy camera equipment waiting for a nice sighting or many different views of the same mountain, if you're short on time (like most simple folks ;) ) either skip Teton entirely or just drive through it on your way to Yellowstone and that'll be way more than enough for you.

I happen to agree that Yellowstone deserves the larger share of time spent, but I think you are vastly underselling Teton. First, Grand Teton is hardly the only mountain in the park, and is certainly not the only scenery. If you want to hike up a mountain, in Teton you'll have lots of choices and variety in terms of both elevation and difficulty. Jackson Lake is spectacularly beautiful, especially from the road with the mountain range in the background. Also, with the exception of bison, I found it was much easier to spot wildlife in Teton than in Yellowstone.
I'm an optimist; but only because life isn't going to give me any other good choices.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2017, 11:54:45 AM »

The pics, yeah.

Anyways, obviously this is just my (and my wife - who was with me) personal opinion, perhaps a little too simplistic, but a simple guy I am.
Yellowstone talks to me. Bryce, GC, they talked to me too... to give you an idea.

I agree 100% that Yellowstone is definitely more interesting and should be the bulk of the trip.

But there are definitely nice things to see in the Grand Tetons. And many things are based on the time of day ( or night ) sunrise, sunset, stars at night. You can just drive through it but without being at the right place at the right time, your missing out what Aurora of it. If I actually get to finnish my TR maybe you get to see some...

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2017, 12:11:59 PM »
The pics, yeah.

LOL. If it makes  you feel better, I was in Acadia National Park a week ago and didn't really get any pictures I like very much - for the second time. I have some sort of Acadia-curse or something.

Interesting - this was precisely my conclusion when I looked into visiting many years ago. One mountain view - why in the world would I go?

But then a few years later I did some real research and discovered that it was vastly more than that. As others have mentioned, amazing hikes, the most spectacular sunrises pretty much anywhere in the lower 48, and amazing wildlife. On top of that you have fantastic off-roading that you can do in any SUV, Gros Ventre is completely different than anything else in the area, and so much more.

That being said one day is probably enough for most people, and the bulk of your time will be better spent in Yellowstone.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
Also, with the exception of bison, I found it was much easier to spot wildlife in Teton than in Yellowstone.

And I found the exact opposite to be true.

In short, it's wildlife - they come and go as they please and aren't beholden to tourists. No question that you'll have amazing wildlife sightings in either park.

Offline dansdealsfan5

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 12, 2018, 04:37:10 PM »
I'm planning on staying at the Marriott in Jackson Hole Aug 5 - 10. Is it smart to do that and travel every day to Yellowstone. I really don't like the hotel options in West Yellowstone. Anyone have experience with this?

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #170 on: April 12, 2018, 04:46:22 PM »
I'm planning on staying at the Marriott in Jackson Hole Aug 5 - 10. Is it smart to do that and travel every day to Yellowstone. I really don't like the hotel options in West Yellowstone. Anyone have experience with this?

Not the best of ideas. You'd be wasting a massive amount of time.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »
+1000 there's quite a bit or traveling just to get around the park everyday...

I stayed in the Marriott a few weeks after it opened and had a nice experience there.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 12, 2018, 05:14:32 PM »
+100

The drive from Jackson up into Yellowstone is long and (with the exception of when you're passing the Tetons) quite boring. West Yellowstone is much closer and the drive from there to the center of the park is much much more interesting.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 12, 2018, 05:16:05 PM »
+100

The drive from Jackson up into Yellowstone is long and (with the exception of when you're passing the Tetons) quite boring. West Yellowstone is much closer and the drive from there to the center of the park is much much more interesting.
While I stayed in West Yellowstone, when I was there I realized that it's probably best to stay in the park. You save a nice amount of time.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2018, 05:32:16 PM »
While I stayed in West Yellowstone, when I was there I realized that it's probably best to stay in the park. You save a nice amount of time.
Agreed. I was just about to post about that.

I'm assuming you meant staying in one of the hotels in the park. It might be sacrilegious to say this on DDF, but IMO do it right and get a tent (and a bunch of other stuff) and go camping there. You'll save a bunch of money and it's a whole different experience.

Offline Yammer

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 12, 2018, 05:37:10 PM »
Agreed. I was just about to post about that.

I'm assuming you meant staying in one of the hotels in the park. It might be sacrilegious to say this on DDF,
Correct That's what I meant.
but IMO do it right and get a tent (and a bunch of other stuff) and go camping there. You'll save a bunch of money and it's a whole different experience.
That would depend with whom I'm going....

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 12, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »
That would depend with whom I'm going....
-1(/2)

More like depends if you do it right or half-ass it. $100-$150 (IIRC) worth of gear can be the difference between it being awesome and being miserable.

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 12, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
+100

I actually enjoyed that drive over the that crazy pass (forget what’s it’s called) between Idaho and Wyoming. Then in Idaho, I had to stop because the road was full of cows.

Isn’t there an entrance at the bottom of Yellowstone right above the Tetons that you can cut through?

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 12, 2018, 06:22:00 PM »
I actually enjoyed that drive over the that crazy pass (forget what’s it’s called) between Idaho and Wyoming.
yup, that's pretty cool but it's not between Jackson and Yellowstone.

Isn’t there an entrance at the bottom of Yellowstone right above the Tetons that you can cut through?
That's the (relatively) long boring drive I'm talking about.

Offline JunkYardUnz

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 12, 2018, 06:23:40 PM »
I did something similar to that two years ago, I stayed in Big Sky Montana (flew into Bozeman) drove every other day to Yellowstone (I think it was three times), was not that bad. The Airbnb rentals are a third the price in Big Sky and probably much nicer.

Enjoy Yellowstone, in my opinion, if you are not a hiker and just looking for interesting sites it’s the best national park. We have been trying to replicate that experience since then at other national parks, but were unable to.