Author Topic: Yes, I'm a Cubs Fan  (Read 87414 times)

Offline Amusch

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, I'm a Cubs Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 16, 2016, 12:56:20 PM »
And so it was prior to 2003. Thank Bud Selig.

It was actually switching off, which may be even worse than ASG. But every other sport (except NFL) seemed to catch on to my idea, so why not MLB...

Offline Dr Moose

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 16, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »
I like how it currently is. It gives meaning to the ASG, they want to actually win.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 16, 2016, 01:14:02 PM »
Should have used the dislike button.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Barryg

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 16, 2016, 02:13:48 PM »
I actually had this crazy ideal for deciding home field for WS instead of stupid AS game winner. I'm not sure if it's too crazy to ever be implemented. Ready? Give home field advantage in the World Series to............................the team with the better record!!!
In baseball home field means something, but nowhere close to what it means in the NBA. Besides, half of the NL all stars were on the Cubs. Happens to be that out of the teams that would be the toughest challenge for the Cubs - Giants in an even year. Dodgers if Kershaw is at full strength, the Mets and Nationals are all in the NL, so home field until the WS means a lot.

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 16, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »
In baseball home field means something, but nowhere close to what it means in the NBA. Besides, half of the NL all stars were on the Cubs. Happens to be that out of the teams that would be the toughest challenge for the Cubs - Giants in an even year. Dodgers if Kershaw is at full strength, the Mets and Nationals are all in the NL, so home field until the WS means a lot.
I vigorously disagree.

In NBA at least the dimensions of the court and time of possession are the same and theyre all indoors.

In MLB- ballparks have different dimensions and different winds or lack thereof. The outfields and walls have different intricacies that have a direct effect on the actual game play. A ball hit or played one way in one ballpark will be far different in another.

The other direct effect HF advantage has in MLB is batting at the bottom of the inning. No other sport has that. In MLB the home team gets last licks.

Doesnt compare at all to any other sport. Baseball HF matters most.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 16, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
Tell that to STL.  :P
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
Tell that to STL.  :P
He never said it matters most - to win. On the slim chance they make it to the playoffs this season, they're not gonna have HF advantage which will work to their favor.

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 26, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
I have not watched them this year. Are they like in second or third? How many games over .500?
First, 43.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »
I vigorously disagree.

In NBA at least the dimensions of the court and time of possession are the same and theyre all indoors.

In MLB- ballparks have different dimensions and different winds or lack thereof. The outfields and walls have different intricacies that have a direct effect on the actual game play. A ball hit or played one way in one ballpark will be far different in another.

The other direct effect HF advantage has in MLB is batting at the bottom of the inning. No other sport has that. In MLB the home team gets last licks.

Home field advantage is overrated. Yeh it might make a difference but after the first 6 games it evens out.
So the whole debate is about a minor advantage during a game 7 of which anyways the better team should be winning.

And about last licks, maybe I'm wrong, but the advantage also seems to be over rated. Does a team say "we don't need any more runs, lets just strike out for the rest of the inning" if they're leading at the top of the inning? So what's the difference besides a walk off HR being cooler?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:06:32 PM by yuneeq »
Visibly Jewish

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2016, 12:04:40 PM »
Home field advantage is overrated. Yeh it might make a difference but after the first 6 games it evens out.
So the whole debate is about a minor advantage during a game 7 of which anyways the better team should be winning.
which is why if the mets have the WC spot locked up going into sunday, and are only playing for homefield in the WC game, noah should be pushed back to the WC game

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2016, 12:23:38 PM »
which is why if the mets have the WC spot locked up going into sunday, and are only playing for homefield in the WC game, noah should be pushed back to the WC game
Cubs fans are hoping for some tiebreaker games (if two teams tie for second WC, or three tie for the two WC's) so that will take care of Noah, Madbum etc for a while.

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
Cubs fans are hoping for some tiebreaker games (if two teams tie for second WC, or three tie for the two WC's) so that will take care of Noah, Madbum etc for a while.
True Cub fans don't care. You want to be the best then you have to beat the best. If you are afraid to face their best then you don't deserve to win.
"LESS IS MORE" It is the cumulative effect that kills deals!!! How many times do I have to say this?  >:(

Offline Barryg

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2016, 01:32:03 PM »
True Cub fans don't care. You want to be the best then you have to beat the best. If you are afraid to face their best then you don't deserve to win.
Tell that to the Warriors in 15 (Irving and Love injured) or the Cavaliers in 16 (Curry nowhere close to 100% and Green suspended for a game). A win is a win.
Besides... There is an advantage of being the best in your league during the regular season. The WC team is disadvantaged because they burn their best pitcher in the WC game and IF there's a tie or three way tie they burn their best pitchers. They earned the right to an easier road.

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »

And about last licks, maybe I'm wrong, but the advantage also seems to be over rated. Does a team say "we don't need any more runs, lets just strike out for the rest of the inning" if they're leading at the top of the inning? So what's the difference besides a walk off HR being cooler?

Not quite. First of all, HFA has been studied and documented as real. Second, the runs thing matter. The road team doesn't know how many runs it needs to win. If the leadoff man gets on, do you bunt him and play for 1, or swing and go for more. It's not an easy decision in the bottom of the inning when tied or down 1, but its much easier than in the top when you can play for 1, then give up bases loaded no outs and feel dumb you didn't go for more.

Offline dealfinder85

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
so if this year the cubs face the mets and manage to touch their pitching (yes im looking at you kris bryant-that home run late in game 4 meant nothing), it wouldnt mean anything to you to see them go on and maybe win a WS bc last year, when the mets were at full strength, they made a mockery of the cubs bats?

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:47 PM »
so if this year the cubs face the mets and manage to touch their pitching (yes im looking at you kris bryant-that home run late in game 4 meant nothing), it wouldnt mean anything to you to see them go on and maybe win a WS bc last year, when the mets were at full strength, they made a mockery of the cubs bats?
Who cares what happen last year. That is like bringing up "69". It has nothing to do with this year. The fact is the Cubs have the best record this year. If they are worried about playing a certain team then they have no business in the playoffs.

Offline yuneeq

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2016, 04:05:15 PM »
Not quite. First of all, HFA has been studied and documented as real. Second, the runs thing matter. The road team doesn't know how many runs it needs to win. If the leadoff man gets on, do you bunt him and play for 1, or swing and go for more. It's not an easy decision in the bottom of the inning when tied or down 1, but its much easier than in the top when you can play for 1, then give up bases loaded no outs and feel dumb you didn't go for more.

I'm saying that advantage is minute if it comes down to having 1 extra game of HF.

And the facts speak for themselves:
Since the wild-card era began in 1995, teams with the home-field advantage in the early rounds of the playoffs have lost more series than they’ve won

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dispelling-the-myth-of-home-field-advantage-in-baseball-1443825563

It's also well-documented that baseball HF effects are the smallest from any of the major leagues.
Visibly Jewish

Offline JTZ

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 26, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Those statistics are meaningless. Take this year for example. If the Cubs make it to the WS they will be favorites but not have home field. If they win 4-2 what does that tell you about home field advantage?

Offline Dr Moose

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 26, 2016, 04:31:07 PM »
I wouldn't be so certain of that. They were supposed to cruise into WC spot, but they seem to be fighting for it.

Offline Amusch

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 26, 2016, 04:32:16 PM »
I'm saying that advantage is minute if it comes down to having 1 extra game of HF.

And the facts speak for themselves:
Since the wild-card era began in 1995, teams with the home-field advantage in the early rounds of the playoffs have lost more series than they’ve won

http://www.wsj.com/articles/dispelling-the-myth-of-home-field-advantage-in-baseball-1443825563

It's also well-documented that baseball HF effects are the smallest from any of the major leagues.

I don't disagree with any of that. Just sayin.