DansDeals Forum > Credit Cards And Finance

Car Lease v. Buying

(1/167) > >>

Dan:
Overheard: "He didn't actually buy that $95,000 car, he just leased it."

IOW: He's just paying more than half of that price for the privilege of driving it with limited miles and having absolutely nothing to show for it after 3 years.

yuneeq:
@Dan Not sure why it bothers you. Sure, he could've bought the car, but you're talking about a rich guy. He has the money, so why should he not enjoy the luxury of driving a brand new gorgeous car every 3 years?

Would it make more sense for him to buy and sell it 3 years later? I'm not sure you'd save any money that way either.

Dan:

--- Quote from: yuneeq on November 02, 2013, 11:27:27 PM ---@Dan Not sure why it bothers you. Sure, he could've bought the car, but you're talking about a rich guy. He has the money, so why should he not enjoy the luxury of driving a brand new gorgeous car every 3 years?

Would it make more sense for him to buy and sell it 3 years later? I'm not sure you'd save any money that way either.

--- End quote ---
You completely missed my point.

People speak about a lease as if they're saving lots of money by leasing.  I know a guy with serious credit card debt who recently leased a $45,000 car.
When he was called out on it he said it was just a lease anyway, he didn't actually buy the car.

As if that makes it better?!?
People need to stop thinking in monthly payments.  Be honest, you've bought that car with an agreement to sell it at a big loss after using it for just a few years.

yuneeq:
@Dan
Agreed.

I think the average leaser doesn't have that problem though. I hope.

Dan:

--- Quote from: yuneeq on November 03, 2013, 12:05:11 AM ---@Dan
Agreed.

I think the average leaser doesn't have that problem though. I hope.

--- End quote ---
Lots of people who can't afford it lease fancy cars.
Kol hakavod to someone who leases a $100K car and can afford it, but people need to realize that they are paying a premium to lease. 

If you wouldn't buy a $45K car then you have no business leasing it.  Get the idea of it being more affordable to lease out of your head.  It's just a marketing trick.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version