Author Topic: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread  (Read 129249 times)

Offline SOS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #2190 on: January 11, 2018, 07:37:52 PM »
Ever wonder what route is the best bang for your buck in SQuites?

Well, wonder no longer, as I had too much time on my hands no time today, but crunched all the numbers anyway, and here are the results.

The colored numbers represent the amount of SQ miles that are required per mile flown in Suites. Lower the better.

Notes:

Best overall routes are ex-JFK (except for FRA) and ex-AKL.

However, the likelihood of scoring 2 savers JFK<>FRA<>SIN<>?? is next to nothing, thus leaving the best practical route as AKL<>SIN<>HKG/NRT/ZRH/CDG.

Did you make an updated chart after the latest devaluation?

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2191 on: January 11, 2018, 07:44:35 PM »
Funny you should ask -- I just came across that chart and filed it away in my "old" folder.

I guess one day I should probably update it.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline mmgfarb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: January 11, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Funny you should ask -- I just came across that chart and filed it away in my "old" folder.

I guess one day I should probably update it.
If you send me the spreadsheet I may find some time to update it.
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline Wizmanison

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: January 11, 2018, 08:24:30 PM »
If you send me the spreadsheet I may find some time to update it.
Looking forward to it!

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #2194 on: January 28, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
Had booked the "glitch" to SCL/Patagonia for a week, but given the amount of planning and other factors, doesn't look like we're going to be able to make that work. Additionally, neither of us are in the mood for a vacation that requires another vacation afterwards.

Alternatives, as we see them:

Saturday night to Thurs in LAX, stay at WABH, and eat ourselves into a stupor. Pros: No need to plan for food, relatively quick flight. Cons: weather is not hot enough to just sit by pool and relax, which is a primary goal in this trip.

Same timing (or *perhaps* through weekend to Sunday) in a single island of Hawaii, relax and do as little or as much activities as we want. Pros: Weather is phenomenal, can craft perfect activity/relax balanced vacation. Cons: requires longer flight, been to OGG and LIH already, requires food prep, and first 2 days are subject to jetlag (tho that may work somewhat to our advantage...)

MLE redux x3. Head to Conrad MLE in OWB. Pros: Great weather, absolutely no real prep needed at all except for food, great premium products. Cons: need kosher food, super long flights.

We're not going with kids.

At this point, I'm ranking them LAX, HNL, MLE. But I'm open to other ideas or a different ranking.

WWYD?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16441
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #2195 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
Are the SCL tickets refundable?
Not worth using them and going to EZE or GIG for a relaxing trip?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: January 28, 2018, 01:18:48 PM »
Are the SCL tickets refundable?
Not worth using them and going to EZE or GIG for a relaxing trip?
Zika?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #2197 on: January 28, 2018, 01:34:07 PM »
Zika?
Last I checked there was no local Zika transmission in Buenos Aires, just in the north of the country. I'd look into it, great foodie city.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: January 28, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
Go to Morocco

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: January 28, 2018, 01:45:47 PM »
Last I checked there was no local Zika transmission in Buenos Aires, just in the north of the country. I'd look into it, great foodie city.

According to CDC map, it's there:

Anecdotally, people are saying it's not "that bad," but I'm not sure how much I can rely on that.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2200 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:47 PM »
Go to Morocco

How long would you suggest someone go for?  Looks to be a bit chilly there now, and Feb doesn't seem to be a great season for anything...

https://www.onthegotours.com/us/Morocco/Best-time-to-visit
https://www.tripsavvy.com/best-time-to-visit-morocco-1454429

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: January 28, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »
What's the advantage of HNL over an island you haven't been to like ITO/KOA/MKK/LNY?

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: January 28, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Zika?
No zika in Chile. I'd go to BsAs as @Dan suggested. It's a great food city, lots to do, no need to prep at all, even food.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: January 28, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
What's the advantage of HNL over an island you haven't been to like ITO/KOA/MKK/LNY?

None, I just recall you suggesting HNL in the past as a great place to spend a week...

Are the others better?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: January 28, 2018, 02:20:46 PM »
No zika in Chile. I'd go to BsAs as @Dan suggested. It's a great food city, lots to do, no need to prep at all, even food.

Chile ≠ BsAs.

Santiago/Patagonia, in Chile, does not have Zika, which is why we originally booked there.

BsAs, in *Argentina*, does. What am I missing?