Author Topic: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread  (Read 442715 times)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« on: November 07, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Need some crowdsourcing on planning the routing for my next two trips or so.

Goals:

(i) Maximize time in nice F cabins, (ii) extract maximum value by,  for instance, turning the two trips into three, utilizing "free one ways" (more technically known as open jaws and stopovers, e.g. (a) NYC-BKK-NYC(stop)-HNL and then (ii) HNL-EWR-SIN-SYD-EWR, giving me a free "third" trip to HNL).

Assumptions:

--First destination will be New Zealand (a lot of fun routings that way)
--Second destination will also be somewhere in Asia/Oceania (another destination for nice routings)
--Two people are traveling
--I have 500,000 of each mileage currency.
--I'd like to fly SQ R, EK F (a380), OZ F (772), LH F (744)
--I try to avoid YQ unless it's completely necessary (e.g. SQ R, but not LH F through M&M)

Notes:

--I'd like to burn UA miles before 2/1/14 which may lead to using booking *A as my first outbound given LH's tendency to only release F space two weeks out (and also, since there have been no announcements by EK/AS/JL to deval EK awards, or SQ to deval theirs, I feel a bit more comfortable holding off if necessary with them).
--I don't mind paying additional for positioning flights (I should have a WN CP to use, Gd willing).
--OZ F award availability on their JFK route, which is currently the only route that has the new F,  has largely become nonexistent in the last 8 weeks for whatever reason. So even though I'd like to try it, it may not be possible.

Now, I figure this should be a (somewhat) fun exercise, so given the above,  let your imaginations run wild!
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline myb821

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile

Offline Moishebatchy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
Re: AJK's Trip/Route Planning Thread
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 11:08:51 AM »
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=7986.0 ?

I've seen (and posted) that link already so many times that I recognize the topic number by heart already. :D

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 11:18:41 AM »
One possible route:

Outbound -- JFK/LAX-DXB-SIN(EK F)-SYD(SQ R) [Can stopover in DXB, SIN, and SYD; uses AS miles and SQ miles; well over 20 hours in EK F]
Inbound -- AKL-BKK-FRA(TG F)-NYC(LH F)-LIR [Access to TG F Spa and FCT; using UA miles; and I'd try to finagle a stopover the last leg even though it isn't technically valid]

Outbound #2 -- LIR-NYC(stop)-HKG-DPS(CX F) [Can stop in NYC; uses AA miles]
Inbound #2 -- SIN-NRT-LAX(SQ R)-NYC(WN) [Have to return home using WN CP]

Wow, this is a bit more complicated than even I thought, but I do build in a "free" trip to LIR and get to experience SQ R, EK F, LH F, TG F, and CX F.

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement?
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:20:29 AM »
Give me a break JJ this doesnt need to be in one of those threads

+1

I am specifically looking for routing suggestions, not destination suggestions. Also, I don't see why creating a thread for these (my?) trips specifically is any crime.

Also, I'm not looking for help finding availability. I can do that all my own.

Just figure that with all the creative people on here, this would be somewhat like thinking what you'd do with the money if one won the lottery  :D

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
can you stop in the north american gateway on a one way AA redemption

Offline myb821

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 11:26:23 AM »

Why?

Offline Ergel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »
can you stop in the north american gateway on a one way AA redemption
Sure
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:29:06 AM »
One possible route:

Outbound -- JFK/LAX-DXB-SIN(EK F)-SYD(SQ R) [Can stopover in DXB, SIN, and SYD; uses AS miles and SQ miles; well over 20 hours in EK F]
Inbound -- AKL-BKK-FRA(TG F)-NYC(LH F)-LIR [Access to TG F Spa and FCT; using UA miles; and I'd try to finagle a stopover the last leg even though it isn't technically valid]

Wow, this is a bit more complicated than even I thought, but I do build in a "free" trip to LIR and get to experience SQ R, EK F, LH F, TG F, and CX F.

Thoughts? Suggestions for improvement?
Did that this summer, they have very limited flights they offer and maybe one which is non-stop. Wasn't so happy with it, though for $20 RT two people, i sucked it up.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 11:32:44 AM »
Give me a break JJ this doesnt need to be in one of those threads
+1

I am specifically looking for routing suggestions, not destination suggestions. Also, I don't see why creating a thread for these (my?) trips specifically is any crime.

Also, I'm not looking for help finding availability. I can do that all my own.

Just figure that with all the creative people on here, this would be somewhat like thinking what you'd do with the money if one won the lottery  :D
50% cynicism 50% jest.

Don't worry when I decide to burn my stockpile I will drive everyone nuts with the planning. I'm thinking year long honeymoon trip around the world :)

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 11:33:20 AM »
Sure

+1, one of the few advantages of AA's routing rules.

Did that this summer, they have very limited flights they offer and maybe one which is non-stop. Wasn't so happy with it, though for $20 RT two people, i sucked it up.

Did what? The LAX-NYC on WN?

They don't offer any non-stops that I'm aware of, but I will Gd willing have the CP, so why not use it?

Unless you know a way to not have to by reconstructing the itin?

Offline meshugener

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Amex Platinum, Chase Freedom 10X10 Exclusives, Avis Presidents Club, National Executive, Hertz 5 Star, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
Ever been to Williamsburg?
Take the J, $2.25 surcharge per passenger.
Love me or hate me. I still love you.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 11:35:37 AM »
Why?

Well, I don't HAVE to use WN, but it'd be my cheapest, most effective way that I'm aware of, as--at least on this version of the itin--I can't build it in for free.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
Ever been to Williamsburg?
Take the J, $2.25 surcharge per passenger.

Once. Never again.

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »
Once. Never again.
Had skirt above the knees?

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Had skirt above the knees?

Was wearing a kippa sruga.

Offline Marco Polo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
+1, one of the few advantages of AA's routing rules.

Did what? The LAX-NYC on WN?

They don't offer any non-stops that I'm aware of, but I will Gd willing have the CP, so why not use it?

Unless you know a way to not have to by reconstructing the itin?
Yes.

I think i recall seeing one non-stop flight being offered, but may have been out of ISP.

The issue with that flight is having a SO and flights are only offered until 12PM daily (someone CMIIW and it changed). With the SO, you eat up a whole day regardless when you leave LA.

I used my CP because like i mentioned, $20RT for two people is great. I paid for wifi on way home so i did not have to miss work, otherwise i would "splurge" on a regular award redemption.

Not sure of a way to rework the itin.
Quaerite et Invenietis.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Yes.

I think i recall seeing one non-stop flight being offered, but may have been out of ISP.

The issue with that flight is having a SO and flights are only offered until 12PM daily (someone CMIIW and it changed). With the SO, you eat up a whole day regardless when you leave LA.

I used my CP because like i mentioned, $20RT for two people is great. I paid for wifi on way home so i did not have to miss work, otherwise i would "splurge" on a regular award redemption.

Not sure of a way to rework the itin.

No such route.

But, yeah, the connection is annoying, but like you, I'll do work on the plane if I must.

Offline jmansour

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
Need some crowdsourcing on planning the routing for my next two trips or so.

Goals:

(i) Maximize time in nice F cabins, (ii) extract maximum value by,  for instance, turning the two trips into three, utilizing "free one ways" (more technically known as open jaws and stopovers, e.g. (a) NYC-BKK-NYC(stop)-HNL and then (ii) HNL-EWR-SIN-SYD-EWR, giving me a free "third" trip to HNL).

Assumptions:

--First destination will be New Zealand (a lot of fun routings that way)
--Second destination will also be somewhere in Asia/Oceania (another destination for nice routings)
--Two people are traveling
--I have 500,000 of each mileage currency.
--I'd like to fly SQ R, EK F (a380), OZ F (772), LH F (744)
--I try to avoid YQ unless it's completely necessary (e.g. SQ R, but not LH F through M&M)

Notes:

--I'd like to burn UA miles before 2/1/14 which may lead to using booking *A as my first outbound given LH's tendency to only release F space two weeks out (and also, since there have been no announcements by EK/AS/JL to deval EK awards, or SQ to deval theirs, I feel a bit more comfortable holding off if necessary with them).
--I don't mind paying additional for positioning flights (I should have a WN CP to use, Gd willing).
--OZ F award availability on their JFK route, which is currently the only route that has the new F,  has largely become nonexistent in the last 8 weeks for whatever reason. So even though I'd like to try it, it may not be possible.

Now, I figure this should be a (somewhat) fun exercise, so given the above,  let your imaginations run wild!

wow this one looks interesting excited to see what everyone comes up with