Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 40688 times)

Offline Fan of Dan

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »
Also for some reason car rentals prices are ludicrously high  :'(
Get an SUV which you can take off road or the unpaved highway. How long you going and where are you flying into?

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
I'm going for one week in the summer, flying through Seattle and into Anchorage. An SUV seems to pricing out at about $1000 for the week.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 01:44:33 AM »
I'm going for one week in the summer, flying through Seattle and into Anchorage. An SUV seems to pricing out at about $1000 for the week.
Try to find the small companies or private guys with small fleets. I got an SUV for 2 weeks at 500 a week. You just need to research the small guys.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 03:00:26 PM »
I booked tickets to Alaska (Anchorage) for next summer. I'd love some suggestions for trips and especially kosher food...

This trip is coming up... Can anyone with experience going there share some info/tips? I want to avoid tourist traps and see the real Alaska..

Thanks

Offline michael

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »
I went, and I made sure to turn off at almost every exit (there aren't many) and meander around. Was awesome.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 04:14:49 PM »
I went, and I made sure to turn off at almost every exit (there aren't many) and meander around. Was awesome.

I like meandering! Which highway was that? When did you go? Was the traffic bad? Did you go to Denali? Did you see glaciers?

What did you do for kosher food?

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2013, 07:43:03 PM »
I like meandering! Which highway was that? When did you go? Was the traffic bad? Did you go to Denali? Did you see glaciers?

What did you do for kosher food?

We flew to Anchorage. The highway was on the way south. Off the highway we saw awesome lakes, glaciers, bear trails (too scared to go on them), and streams FULL of non-moving fish. We went in August. Roads were nearly empty. We did Denali, but as we were only there Sunday through Thursday, we couldn't spend enough time doing everything. Enjoy!!!

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
Did you do anything in the south? I Assume you mean Seward. We are thinking of doing a glacier viewing cruise. Did you do that? Has anyone here taken the Alaska railroad?

Offline michael

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
Did you do anything in the south? I Assume you mean Seward. We are thinking of doing a glacier viewing cruise. Did you do that? Has anyone here taken the Alaska railroad?

I did a cruise. There are two of them, one an hour shorter and somewhat cheaper. We did that one, as people told us that we'd get bored after two hours. We are glad we did, as it was awesome, but longish at two hours.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »
Just a couple of things we did in Alaska in 2010. We went to Seward for a few days and did a cruise of the Gulf of Alaska in which we saw killer whales and glaciers. We went on a float plane to view grizzlies catch salmon and eat them. Not cheap and not to be missed. We paid 300 per person, instead of 600 by going from some random place 2 hours from Seward. We went to Talkeetna for 2 days and did a flight over Denali, coolest flight ever, and did some hiking. We then went to Denali and did the 9 hour bus tour. We then drove across the Denali Highway to Valdez and other areas in the East of the state. Gotta run now but can follow up with more details!

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 37
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
I hope to go to Alaska 6/30-7/4. Anyone have any tips/ideas?

So far my (very tentitive) itinerary is fly into ANC, rent an RV (far cheaper than car+hotel and much more convenient), and drive down to Seward. Want to do sea kayaking (looking at some of the guided day trips), hiking, maybe ATVing, etc. Thinking of doing Denali on the last day (flight will prob be 10ish - is it doable?).

Any tips on kayaking? Which trip/outfitter? Where is the best place (in the Seward area) to see calving glaciers? Whales?

Suggestions on hikes etc.?
Check out all my Trip Reports here!

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »
Where are you renting an RV from? How much is it?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 37
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »
Where are you renting an RV from? How much is it?

So far this place looks best. Pricing out at around $1050 for a premium class C incl. tax and unlimited mileage.
Check out all my Trip Reports here!

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 01:24:22 AM »
1. You aren't going to drive from Seward to Denali and see anything in one day. The drive is very far.

2. In Seward: Do a fishing charter during the silver salmon derby. But, make sure you verify that the fish are still in schools and haven't broken up to start running yet, or you won't catch nothing and should be by the river heads on the shore instead. (half day fishing is like 150 pp)

3. I fee like the glacier cruises in that area mostly leave from Whittier, which is like a decent drive from Seward. There may be some from Seward also, I dunno. A decent glacier cruise will run you like 100 pp also.

4. Hiking near Seward. A cannot miss is the Exit Glacier hike. Pretty strenuous up to the top, but the views of the Harding Ice Field are amazing, and you can walk right up to (onto?) it. Bring a sweatshirt in your backpack on the way up even if its 100 degrees because it is cooooold up by the icefield.

5. Don't forget to include for the RV docking fees at the campgrounds you'll be docking at. I don't know anything about RV's. But, I do know there is a really great campgrounds on the road by the Exit Glacier (10 min out of Seward) which IIRC is free for tenters, and  a moose walked right though the night I stayed there.

6. There is a guy who makes hand made knives on the road down to Seward. His shop is called IRBI. He's cool, stop by and shmooze with him.

I have lots more info about the area, but my trip (3 yeshiva guys) was probly a bit different than what you want to do.

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
If you plan on driving through AK definitely get The Milepost,