Author Topic: Alaska Master Thread  (Read 189354 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Alaska Master Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
I hope to go to Alaska 6/30-7/4. Anyone have any tips/ideas?

So far my (very tentitive) itinerary is fly into ANC, rent an RV (far cheaper than car+hotel and much more convenient), and drive down to Seward. Want to do sea kayaking (looking at some of the guided day trips), hiking, maybe ATVing, etc. Thinking of doing Denali on the last day (flight will prob be 10ish - is it doable?).

Any tips on kayaking? Which trip/outfitter? Where is the best place (in the Seward area) to see calving glaciers? Whales?

Suggestions on hikes etc.?
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2013, 01:09:22 AM »
Where are you renting an RV from? How much is it?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2013, 01:13:52 AM »
Where are you renting an RV from? How much is it?

So far this place looks best. Pricing out at around $1050 for a premium class C incl. tax and unlimited mileage.

Offline henche

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2013, 01:24:22 AM »
1. You aren't going to drive from Seward to Denali and see anything in one day. The drive is very far.

2. In Seward: Do a fishing charter during the silver salmon derby. But, make sure you verify that the fish are still in schools and haven't broken up to start running yet, or you won't catch nothing and should be by the river heads on the shore instead. (half day fishing is like 150 pp)

3. I fee like the glacier cruises in that area mostly leave from Whittier, which is like a decent drive from Seward. There may be some from Seward also, I dunno. A decent glacier cruise will run you like 100 pp also.

4. Hiking near Seward. A cannot miss is the Exit Glacier hike. Pretty strenuous up to the top, but the views of the Harding Ice Field are amazing, and you can walk right up to (onto?) it. Bring a sweatshirt in your backpack on the way up even if its 100 degrees because it is cooooold up by the icefield.

5. Don't forget to include for the RV docking fees at the campgrounds you'll be docking at. I don't know anything about RV's. But, I do know there is a really great campgrounds on the road by the Exit Glacier (10 min out of Seward) which IIRC is free for tenters, and  a moose walked right though the night I stayed there.

6. There is a guy who makes hand made knives on the road down to Seward. His shop is called IRBI. He's cool, stop by and shmooze with him.

I have lots more info about the area, but my trip (3 yeshiva guys) was probly a bit different than what you want to do.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2013, 01:28:03 AM »
If you plan on driving through AK definitely get The Milepost,

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 01:33:55 AM »
One more piece of unsolicited advice.

Alaska is really really big. I made the mistake of trying to do and see way too much in different areas. You really need to pick an area and pretty much just stay there. I'd say Kenai is big enough that you can do everything you want just there.

Think of it like someone from Europe coming to the "the US" on vacation. You can't go to "the US"--you need to pick a place you are going. You cannot do "alaska" on vacation; you do "Denali and area", or "Kenai", or "Kodiak Island", etc.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 01:37:30 AM »

So far my (very tentitive) itinerary is fly into ANC, rent an RV (far cheaper than car+hotel and much more convenient), and drive down to Seward. Want to do sea kayaking (looking at some of the guided day trips), hiking, maybe ATVing, etc. Thinking of doing Denali on the last day (flight will prob be 10ish - is it doable?).

Any tips on kayaking? Which trip/outfitter? Where is the best place (in the Seward area) to see calving glaciers? Whales?

Not the best idea to do Denali same day as flight. Instead go to Talkeetna which is 2 hours closer to the airport IIRC and do a flight over Denali which is way cooler then going to the park. I did 2 days in Talkeetna and 2 in Denali.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »

Alaska is really really big. I made the mistake of trying to do and see way too much in different areas. You really need to pick an area and pretty much just stay there. I'd say Kenai is big enough that you can do everything you want just there.

Think of it like someone from Europe coming to the "the US" on vacation. You can't go to "the US"--you need to pick a place you are going. You cannot do "alaska" on vacation; you do "Denali and area", or "Kenai", or "Kodiak Island", etc.
+1 we spent 2.5 weeks and only saw a fraction of what you can see.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:15 AM »
Just some pics

Offline yehuda S

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »

We are going a couple weeks after you. We're going for about a week and that seems pretty short, 3/4 days seems like  very little time unless you don't plan on sleeping.

I'm working out our itinerary now and would be happy to share it/ get your ideas.

A couple things: we're using points at the Sheraton anchorage which is a pretty good deal.

We are renting from Avis: the price worked out well for pick up in downtown anchorage and drop off at the airport.

We are staying at a cabin near Denali for one night. It's a hostel that has great reviews. http://www.denalihostel.com/

I found this company that takes you ice climbing on exit glacier in tiny groups. We really want to do it although it isn't cheap but it's probably a once in a lifetime thing. It looks amazing and has amazing reviews: http://www.exitglacierguides.com

I am trying to figure out which cruise to take in kenai fjords park or prince William sound. This company: major marine looks good, I am leaning in that direction but for no particular specific reason. They have an evening cruise so that might work. I want to see whales and calving glaciers. I can sleep when I get home. www.majormarine.com

Anything else you want to know? Feel free to pm me.
Work is what you do between vacations.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2013, 01:47:54 AM »
I found the cruise in the Gulf of Alaka cooler then the Prince william sound. We did both and they both had many glaciers but the Gulf of Alaska was a bit nicer, plus we saw a pod of killer whales.

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2013, 01:50:41 AM »

We are arriving early Thursday morning and leaving late tuesday. Our plan is two days in Seward, Shabbos in anchorage (got in touch with chabad there, seems like they have meals- for a fee- ) and Sunday/monday in Denali. I hope this isn't too much...I want to see the glaciers and mt McKinley.

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:04 AM »
Just some pics

I didn't see that kind of stuff. but I did this

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
We are arriving early Thursday morning and leaving late tuesday. Our plan is two days in Seward, Shabbos in anchorage (got in touch with chabad there, seems like they have meals- for a fee- ) and Sunday/monday in Denali. I hope this isn't too much...I want to see the glaciers and mt McKinley.
Seems like you can do the basics with that amount of time. The days are really long so that will be nice. We spent Shabbos in Seward and another Shabbos near Valdez.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »
1. You aren't going to drive from Seward to Denali and see anything in one day. The drive is very far.
2. In Seward: Do a fishing charter during the silver salmon derby. But, make sure you verify that the fish are still in schools and haven't broken up to start running yet, or you won't catch nothing and should be by the river heads on the shore instead. (half day fishing is like 150 pp)
3. I fee like the glacier cruises in that area mostly leave from Whittier, which is like a decent drive from Seward. There may be some from Seward also, I dunno. A decent glacier cruise will run you like 100 pp also.
4. Hiking near Seward. A cannot miss is the Exit Glacier hike. Pretty strenuous up to the top, but the views of the Harding Ice Field are amazing, and you can walk right up to (onto?) it. Bring a sweatshirt in your backpack on the way up even if its 100 degrees because it is cooooold up by the icefield.
5. Don't forget to include for the RV docking fees at the campgrounds you'll be docking at. I don't know anything about RV's. But, I do know there is a really great campgrounds on the road by the Exit Glacier (10 min out of Seward) which IIRC is free for tenters, and  a moose walked right though the night I stayed there.
6. There is a guy who makes hand made knives on the road down to Seward. His shop is called IRBI. He's cool, stop by and shmooze with him.

I have lots more info about the area, but my trip (3 yeshiva guys) was probly a bit different than what you want to do.

Thanks - great info.

1. :(. Next time...

2. Don't think my wife will go for a fishing cruise. Most I could imaging doing is fishing off the shore somewhere for an hour or two just for the kicks.

3. Yes, we're looking into Whittier too. But so far though Seward seems to be more convenience for kayaking, which for us is a higher priority than a cruise.

4. Sounds very interesting, I'll look into that. Do you have any pics to share?

5. Fees in the Seward area seem to be around $15-20, so not a very big expense.

6. Sound interesting, I'll look him up.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2013, 01:54:00 AM »
I didn't see that kind of stuff. but I did this
did you eat it?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »

Ok, so if you're in ANC for shabbos, that changes things because you have to drive back somewhere anyway. Still, consider how far ANC itself is from Denali. And FanOfDan is probably correct that the best way to see Denali is from the air. I spent a night in Denali and we didn't see McKinley at all--there was too much clouds/fog/smoke.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2013, 01:57:59 AM »
Not the best idea to do Denali same day as flight. Instead go to Talkeetna which is 2 hours closer to the airport IIRC and do a flight over Denali which is way cooler then going to the park. I did 2 days in Talkeetna and 2 in Denali.

I found the cruise in the Gulf of Alaka cooler then the Prince william sound. We did both and they both had many glaciers but the Gulf of Alaska was a bit nicer, plus we saw a pod of killer whales.

Who did you use for the cruise and Denali flight? How much were they?

Offline henche

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2013, 02:00:45 AM »
did you eat it?

yes, after taking out the fish eggs

Offline yehuda S

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 02:01:36 AM »
Ok, so if you're in ANC for shabbos, that changes things because you have to drive back somewhere anyway. Still, consider how far ANC itself is from Denali. And FanOfDan is probably correct that the best way to see Denali is from the air. I spent a night in Denali and we didn't see McKinley at all--there was too much clouds/fog/smoke.
I looked into this but it seems like flights over denali are mucho $$$. I vaguely recall about $300 p/p? Maybe more. This trip is turning out to be quite costly. I don't think we can spring for that much money. Also the bus trip through Denali seems pretty nice although it's 13 hours round trip to the end.

The Lubavitch website is www.alaskajewishgala.org and the Shabbos meals are also really expensive, about $40 per person per meal.