Author Topic: Continetal Elite Upgrade EWR-TLV  (Read 6161 times)

Offline Yoel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Gold Medallion, Premier Platinum
Continetal Elite Upgrade EWR-TLV
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:33:20 PM »
I just became silver and im almost gonna become gold before the end of the year.
Just curious, whats my chances on getting upgraded to biz if silver and also when gold?
TLV-EWR-TLV  is my usual flight
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 07:54:52 PM by Dan »

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Continetal Elite
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 07:07:32 PM »
I just became silver and im almost gonna become gold before the end of the year.
Just curious, whats my chances on getting upgraded to biz if silver and also when gold?
TLV-EWR-TLV  is my usual flight

Ive been a Plat for 10 yrs and with 1000% surety I can Promise you , that you will Never get a Free Upgrade to/from TLV or any other market where CO has BF seating! Dont feel too bad a Plat cant get it either.

Bout the only thing a Plat can hope for is an oversold flight where there are some empty BF seats and that they are on a very expensive Coach fare, otherwise No way Hosea! especially when flying on an ElCheapo

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Re: Continetal Elite Upgrade EWR-TLV
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
Ive been a Plat for 10 yrs and with 1000% surety I can Promise you , that you will Never get a Free Upgrade to/from TLV or any other market where CO has BF seating! Dont feel too bad a Plat cant get it either.

Bout the only thing a Plat can hope for is an oversold flight where there are some empty BF seats and that they are on a very expensive Coach fare, otherwise No way Hosea! especially when flying on an ElCheapo
In theory if coach is oversold the agent should op-up the Plat with the highest status.

However agents have much leeway in oversold situations.  If you're nice and are in the right place and the right time even a lower elite may be able to talk their way into BF.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
In theory if coach is oversold the agent should op-up the Plat with the highest status.

However agents have much leeway in oversold situations.  If you're nice and are in the right place and the right time even a lower elite may be able to talk their way into BF.

Not really the GAs have special Rules that they should be following so Talking nice shouldnt help whatsoever, and as I said I do believe that the fare paid has alot to do with who gets it in the end. and its very rare for it to happen at all that I just dont see a Silver or Gold getting it unless the Flight is late in getting out and all the coach seats are already full and that guy is holding a Dup BP for a coach seat already occupied. It might take too long for the GA to see who really should get it and thusly will give it to the person standing at the Gate

If on the other hand theres plenty of time to the Departure time and alot of people still havent boarded then Id expect the GA to follow the Rules.

Thsuly I stand with what I said its `almost a Zero chance for anyone to get the OPUP less so for a person not a Plat and not on an expensive Y fare

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:30:15 PM »
OpUps are very rare, but they do happen.

My wife and I flew CLE-LAS last year on an "elCheapo" when coach was oversold by 1 and F had 1 empty.  I was Silver and she had no status.
I had been EUA'd at the 24 hour window and there were some elites (or at least elite companions) on the upgrade waitlist.

I went to the gate, chatted up the GA and voila, she was sitting in F.

Sure that's not BF, but it can happen.  Agreed that it's rare though, but it's not zero.

I've only flown to Israel in J/F (twice with miles, once due to a CO.com hiccup) so I've never had the chance to test my luck yet  :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 09:33:29 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:36:48 PM »
OpUps are very rare, but they do happen.

My wife and I flew CLE-LAS last year on an "elCheapo" when coach was oversold by 1 and F had 1 empty.  I was Silver and she had no status.
I had been EUA'd at the 24 hour window and there were some elites (or at least elite companions) on the upgrade waitlist.

I went to the gate, chatted up the GA and voila, she was sitting in F.

Sure that's not BF, but it can happen.  Agreed that it's rare though, but it's not zero.

I've only flown to Israel in J/F (twice with miles, once due to a CO.com hiccup) so I've never had the chance to test my luck yet  :D

Sorry I should have stated I was talking about Intl and Especially the TLV flights which it seemed the OP indicated was the 1 they most flew and the 1 I thought they were asking about. But CO guards that BF seat extremely carefully and I believe CO audits its Intl flights to make sure no abuse is taking place with regards to their Bread & Butter rev

But schtick still occurs with the Domestic flights although its getting alot harder and alot less employees who dont wish to be Unemployed are less likely to put their neck on the line simply since a passenger gave them the eyes or sweet talked them,IMO

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »
I think Dealer got upgraded after the summer (EWR-TLV). He's gold. They weren't oversold, they said they just changed there policy
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 09:22:50 AM »
I think Dealer got upgraded after the summer (EWR-TLV). He's gold. They weren't oversold, they said they just changed there policy

Not that I am aware of , policy changed that is

Offline bades

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 10:47:54 AM »
im sorry if this is in the wrong thread, Does anyone know if theres a chance for an upgrade on Delta, as a gold member, from jfk to tlv :D

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 11:01:24 AM »
 Im not aware of any Carrier that will dole out free UPs to/from TLV. ElAl used to do it to its top flyers I think even today that requires some pts

CO will give out free UPs on its Intl flights where it services the route using non BF cabins. Since its BF to TLV nothing there

Asfor DL they are the worst for UPs as to use their SWUs you need to be on a very expensive coach tkt that would cost morethen CO, or AA or UA in most cases

Offline dealer

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 02:47:54 PM »
Not that I am aware of , policy changed that is

Yeah on the way back to Americhka after Tisha B'av, the flight was oversold and me and my wife are gold (wow that rhymes, should I keep on going...)
and as we were told
that in NY it wasn't cold
(alright I'll stop)

basically new Co policy if  aflight is oversold (even in business first markets) instead of bumping thye'll upgrade you starting with elites, but they won't tell you this when you check in .  actually when  i came to check in i knew the flight was oversold and asked if i could get upgraded to BF, she said thers no room,  when i got to the gate that same agent, ran over to me and gave us the new boarding passes (btw i got the info from a FT Co forum thread)

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 02:53:26 PM »
Yeah on the way back to Americhka after Tisha B'av, the flight was oversold and me and my wife are gold (wow that rhymes, should I keep on going...)
and as we were told
that in NY it wasn't cold
(alright I'll stop)

basically new Co policy if  aflight is oversold (even in business first markets) instead of bumping thye'll upgrade you starting with elites, but they won't tell you this when you check in .  actually when  i came to check in i knew the flight was oversold and asked if i could get upgraded to BF, she said thers no room,  when i got to the gate that same agent, ran over to me and gave us the new boarding passes (btw i got the info from a FT Co forum thread)

again this isnt the same as free ups, meaning if a EWR-MIA flight has empty seats in FC they will fill them with Elites even if the flight isnt oversold. If there are empty seats on the TLV flights and the flight isnt Oversold then no Free Ups!

Till now it seemed to me (I could be Wrong) that most asking were thinking that as a Gold or whatever as long as there were empty BF seats to/from TLV they could get a free up even if the flight wasnt oversold, and that was what I was addressing and to that issue I dont Believe CO has changed its Policy

I am surprised that they gave a Gold the OPUP as usually the TLV flights are full of Plats

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 03:01:07 PM »
I am surprised that they gave a Gold the OPUP as usually the TLV flights are full of Plats
I'm sure the flight was full of Plats, but like I said, the agent has more power in an oversell situation that you are saying.
If dealer asked nicely at check-in and made an impression on the agent they can definitely give him the op-up over a higher-tier or higher fare class elites.  Which is probably exactly what happened.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 03:04:28 PM »
I'm sure the flight was full of Plats, but like I said, the agent has more power in an oversell situation that you are saying.
If dealer asked nicely at check-in and made an impression on the agent they can definitely give him the op-up over a higher-tier or higher fare class elites.  Which is probably exactly what happened.

and when that happens and if the person knows they were Overlooked and know about Scott, some heads will roll. Now I agree alot of people probably on the TLV flights dont know about FT or Scott but Offically its not suppose to be that way, and more and more people are learning the Ins & Outs

and OPUPs on CO is very rare compared to most other carriers and Not something Id rely on, also VDBing off a CO Intl flight is a heck of alot less then what was possible a couple of yrs ago, they really do have their Rev dept on top of things

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
and when that happens and if the person knows they were Overlooked and know about Scott, some heads will roll. Now I agree alot of people probably on the TLV flights dont know about FT or Scott but Offically its not suppose to be that way, and more and more people are learning the Ins & Outs

and OPUPs on CO is very rare compared to most other carriers and Not something Id rely on, also VDBing off a CO Intl flight is a heck of alot less then what was possible a couple of yrs ago, they really do have their Rev dept on top of things
Obviously I wouldn't rely on an op-up, but they do happen occasionally.
There is no transparent upgrade list like pda.co in an oversell situation.  It's left up to the GA's discretion.  If you're elite and polite they can definitely upgrade you before someone else.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 03:32:19 PM »
Obviously I wouldn't rely on an op-up, but they do happen occasionally.
There is no transparent upgrade list like pda.co in an oversell situation.  It's left up to the GA's discretion.  If you're elite and polite they can definitely upgrade you before someone else.

the pda will still show if there is anyone on the Waitlist for UPs , just check a few CO Intl flights and you will see it there even as long as the flight hasnt left. So if I was #1 and I knew the flight was OSed and theer were some no shows to BF , you bet Id be getting in touch with Scott wanting to know why if there were OPUPs wasnt it given to #1 on the waitlist on down

TWA had this problem till it was brought to their attention and then Bingo over night people found themselves stuck in coach with what they had purchased, as the GAs and Red Coats simply told their friends and relatives 'sorry all flights are now Audited and no way will I lose my job due to Upgrading someone who shouldnt have been'. TW made teh person who processed teh UP log in with the employee ID# and put down why they gave it to that person. once tahtw as done TW found they had a ton of FC and Biz seats that were available for sale constantly = no sense making a fake res or a fully refundable res for FC or Biz if in the end you wont be able to sit there anyway and those of Us who were entitled to be UPed started getting the UPs as they should have been

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
the pda will still show if there is anyone on the Waitlist for UPs , just check a few CO Intl flights and you will see it there even as long as the flight hasnt left. So if I was #1 and I knew the flight was OSed and theer were some no shows to BF , you bet Id be getting in touch with Scott wanting to know why if there were OPUPs wasnt it given to #1 on the waitlist on down

TWA had this problem till it was brought to their attention and then Bingo over night people found themselves stuck in coach with what they had purchased, as the GAs and Red Coats simply told their friends and relatives 'sorry all flights are now Audited and no way will I lose my job due to Upgrading someone who shouldnt have been'. TW made teh person who processed teh UP log in with the employee ID# and put down why they gave it to that person. once tahtw as done TW found they had a ton of FC and Biz seats that were available for sale constantly = no sense making a fake res or a fully refundable res for FC or Biz if in the end you wont be able to sit there anyway and those of Us who were entitled to be UPed started getting the UPs as they should have been
The waitlist is totally different!
Obviously if there are pax who paid the copay+miles and are on a waitlist for an upgrade they will have priority in every situation.

However a regular Plat flying EWR-TLV even on a Y fare won't be on the waitlist and will have absolutely no clue if a Silver on an L fare was given an op-up!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 03:48:47 PM »
The waitlist is totally different!
Obviously if there are pax who paid the copay+miles and are on a waitlist for an upgrade they will have priority in every situation.

However a regular Plat flying EWR-TLV even on a Y fare won't be on the waitlist and will have absolutely no clue if a Silver on an L fare was given an op-up!

back when I checked the TLV flights on a reg basis hardly a flight passed where there wasnt a # of people on the waitlist, also true is CO hasnt been selling the BF cabins like they were a couple of yrs ago and why its no longer rare to 20+ people were UPed and BF still went with some empties. But in Peak season CO usually has a list a mile long to get into BF even now.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 04:10:03 PM »
CO90 tonight: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO91 tonight: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO84 tomorrow: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 1
CO85 tomorrow: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO90 tomorrow: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO91 tomorrow: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 04:28:13 PM »
CO90 tonight: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO91 tonight: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO84 tomorrow: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 1
CO85 tomorrow: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO90 tomorrow: Coach: available, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0
CO91 tomorrow: Coach: full/oversold, BF: available.  Upgrade waitlist: 0

the Oversold is meaningless as its that way alot of the time yet goes out with empties, TLV no-show factor so CO knows by how many they can oversell it and still not need any VDBs, and if they do those last min tkts will more then offset the VDB and Hotel cost, CO isnt selling any $1000 fares more like very expensive Ys

the 84 is delayed heres the seat map http://pda.continental.com/PDA20/FlightSeatMapList.aspx?FNum=84&FDate=SN2PFOhMRLqHh8ZChlH5YA==&RDiret=Status&segId=1&Fdep=EWR&FArr=TLV&shp=0005&cC=CO&GUID=000fa5d5-e1f1-4229-a77a-8967f75f5e12&gInfo1=1 seems theres 1/2 dz emptys in Coach while BF is full yet above you have it as Full/Oversold 13 cleared Standy-by and 2 left on the UP Waitlist = not much has changed from what I posted above before looking at the Flight and the way the TLV flights have been operating for yrs already

basically the TLV flights cant be relied on to get OPUPed to due to it being Oversold as all too often CO will get it right by overselling it knowing full well they will end up with Empties and putting Standbys on
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:32:46 PM by steve2 »