Topic Wiki

DEAD - 10/13/14

READ THE WIKI! IT IS VERY CLEAR!

The Basics:

You can send up to $1,000/month directly from your CCs or GCs, and receive the same amount, which can then be withdrawn to your bank account. (No, you don't withdraw the money to your CC or GC.) These limits reset on the 1st of the calendar month at 12am Pacific Time.

Setup:

1. Although AP requires a SSN, you will not get a hard pull against your credit. You will not get a 1099-K unless you are receiving over $20k per year AND have done 200 transactions.

2. The driver's license number on the account need not be a real number, only the same format.

3. You need to connect and verify a bank account to be able to send $1,000/month. Otherwise, only $500 will be allowed. (Also, you will have difficulty withdrawing money to your bank account if it is not connected to your account.)

4. Verification can sometimes be instant if you log into your bank account through Amazon, but sometimes (particularly with smaller banks or CUs, it seems) the only working option is to allow AP to make two small deposits to you account (less than a dollar, often much less) and then reporting the exact amounts thereby verifying that the account is yours. (If you want to use AP as described here, don't even think about trying to profit from the small deposits by opening up a ton of accounts. You have been warned.)

5. The receiver account must add a credit card to be able to capture the funds sent.

Sending Money

1. Make sure to select "Goods and Services" when sending money. This is important so that the transaction codes as a purchase (for which you will get CC points/miles) and not a cash advance (for which you will not).

2. For some reason, when sending the value from GCs, AP will often prevent the full value from being sent unless, when connecting the GC with your account, you first enter the wrong expiration date and then change it to the correct one. <blinkblink>... <shrug>... but it works.  Or wait a week after putting the GC into your account for the hold to be removed from the funds.

3. And no, Amazon Gift Card balance cannot be used with Amazon Payments.

Multiple accounts:

1. It is highly recommended not to access both accounts of a transaction from the same IP address. Please see the IP Information section below for more... IP Information.

2. Most people didn't have problems opening two accounts per SSN even if they link to the same bank account, but it is risky to send money back and forth between them. Some report a similar risk with sending or receiving with a spouse who has the same bank account linked to their account.

3. Sending money using the same CC from different accounts is a known cause of shutdown.

Error messages and potential delays

1. If you get a message stating "We are unable to complete your transaction until further review. It can take up to 24 hours to complete this transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause," relax and be patient. It is perfectly normal.

2. Withdrawals are never authorized immediately. Be patient. It usually doesn't even take a full day. Likewise it's perfectly normal for you to get a message that your withdrawal has succeeded but it doesn't show up in your bank account yet even as pending. It will be there soon. Be patient.

3. Verifying a bank account via the deposit method can take a few days. Please anticipate and account for the extra time needed for the deposit method if you are planning to set up and use an account for the first time late in the month.

IP Information:

1. To check the IP address of the device you're using, Google "how to check my IP address"

2. All devices using the same WiFi router have the same IP address.

3. A computer connected to the Internet with a router has a different IP than it does if connected to the Internet without a router.

4. Browsing incognito or in private mode does not change your IP address.

5. To change the IP address of a computer, turn off the computer, wait a few minutes, then turn it back on. Check if you have a new IP address. If not, turn it off for 8+ hours (overnight or something) and check again. You will likely have a new IP address.

6. On a phone or other device (with it's own data) switch WiFi off. To change IP addresses, switch to 'airplane mode' and switch back and you will usually have a new IP address. Note: If your phone or tablet has WiFi only, it will always have the same IP address as other devices that connect through the same WiFi.

PBaruch's suggestions:

1. It is no longer generally considered safe to have multiple AP accounts for the same person.  Yes, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but I would caution against it.  If you are the reckless type go to number 2 below.  If not, please proceed to number 3 below.

2. If you do decide to try your luck and open 2 or more AP accounts for the same person, do not send $ back and forth between these two accounts.

3. Do not send $ back and forth between people in the same household.  Again, there are exceptions and some people have had luck but it is a trigger for a shutdown.  The way AP views it is if you are in the same household, give em cash. 

4. If there are multiple AP users in the same household, do NOT use the same IP address.  If you do, be warned.  You will very likely be shut down.

5. If you are shut down, you may have luck reopening your AP account by varying the spelling of your name and changing your address. 

6. If you want to send $ to a spouse, it helps if he/she has a different last name and address.

7. I would caution against any complete circles or triangles.  For instance, do not send A-B-C-A.  Rather, send A-B-C-D.

8. If you need bank accounts to link to AP, it is VERY easy to open multiple accounts (with no fee) by using Capitol One 360: https://home.capitalone360.com/ (Be aware that this is likely a hard pull.)

9. Do NOT do instant account verification. Let them send deposits instead to verify the account.  By doing so, I do not believe that they know who owns the account. This may be useful if you use some of my other suggestions.

These are my suggestions based upon personal experience and my gleaning of other posts.

Poll

Were you shut down?

Yes, but i got it back! :)
7 (2.9%)
Yes. :(
55 (22.5%)
No, B"H!  :)
149 (61.1%)
Yes and No (I have more then 1 account)
33 (13.5%)

Total Members Voted: 244

Author Topic: Amazon Payments Master Thread (RIP 10/13/14)  (Read 1118799 times)

Offline TC610

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Earn miles/points with Amazon payments using a credit card
« Reply #300 on: December 01, 2011, 02:33:20 PM »
anyone know if you can do the same with paypal (not for free) like to transfer money and it would come out like a charge on ur CC?

Either I'm reading your comment wrong, or the title of this thread answered your question for you.

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 02, 2011, 11:55:29 AM »
This might making multiple accounts a little more complicated. We'll have to see what happens
As a result of changes to federal regulations, Amazon Payments requires that you provide your Social Security Number and verify your name and address.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #302 on: December 02, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »
Bummer. Now if only they verify the SSN the same way they've been verifying the license numbers, we'll be okay ;)

Offline bubbles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 02, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
Bummer. Now if only they verify the SSN the same way they've been verifying the license numbers, we'll be okay ;)

lol

Offline Esther

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 02, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »
Do they use home addresses for anything? Meaning can I use my home address for my account to make a payment to my father with him using our summer address? Same last name would be an issue? Cuz I can use my mother's maiden name....

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:44 PM »
Do they use home addresses for anything? Meaning can I use my home address for my account to make a payment to my father with him using our summer address? Same last name would be an issue? Cuz I can use my mother's maiden name....
I had same questions but I think it's not a rule it's just that in general the further you distance yourself from the payee the better off you are. One or two payments would prob not make a dif but if. You consistently do it discretion is better.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 02, 2011, 01:04:44 PM »
I had same questions but I think it's not a rule it's just that in general the further you distance yourself from the payee the better off you are. One or two payments would prob not make a dif but if. You consistently do it discretion is better.

Whatever you do, don't keep logging onto both accounts (sender and recipient) from the same location (IP address).
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline HelpMe

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 02, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
Make sure you read all the T&C’s when you open the account and any additional information they ask for. Providing false information could get you in big trouble if you are not careful.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline TC610

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 02, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »
This might making multiple accounts a little more complicated. We'll have to see what happens
"As a result of changes to federal regulations, Amazon Payments requires that you provide your Social Security Number and verify your name and address.

FWIW, if you were using less-than-accurate information in your AP account, you can "X" out of the verification popup and still send money.  I'm assuming this is only for a limited time and at some point you won't be able to continue without entering the required information.

Offline TC610

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 02, 2011, 04:07:25 PM »
Make sure you read all the T&C’s when you open the account and any additional information they ask for. Providing false information could get you in big trouble if you are not careful.

I don't doubt it.  But just so I don't have to comb through 37 pages of T&Cs, can you summarize what you found?

Offline Nitantnel

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 05, 2011, 06:04:25 PM »
Social Security and address for AP????!!!!  >:( >:(
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 06:13:49 PM by Nitantnel »

Offline HelpMe

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 05, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »
Social Security and address for AP????!!!!  >:( >:(

Farshultine government .
They need it to send out 1099-k.
"Elvis Has Left The Building"

Offline Shmelly

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 05, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
My friend is willing to let me use my SP on his website to get to $3K for the 50K point bonus. Is 50K points worth the 2.2% I'd have to pay him, on approximately $2500?

Alternatively, can I make a $2500 purchase by him and have him refund the money before my next billing cycle? Would that satisfy SP's requirements?
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #313 on: December 05, 2011, 11:23:39 PM »
$3000 x .022 = $66.

50,000 UR > $66. ( Considerably so.)
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2011, 11:26:55 PM »
<facepalm> Yes, that should have been quite obvious. Thanks.
You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. - Dr. Seuss

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:20 PM »
<facepalm> Yes, that should have been quite obvious. Thanks.

I should point out that you may want to wait to use your friend until the last moment in an effort to reduce your final cash outlay.

In other words, spend as much as you can on your own (think creatively) for 10-11 weeks, and then use your friend for the balance.

You'd be saving yourself 2.2%/$.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
ap is free

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2011, 11:30:12 PM »
What about my other suggestion? Purchase something on his website after 11 weeks, wait for the bonus to hit, then have him issue me a refund before that charge posts for me.

Offline joeb1

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, CPA, Travel Agent
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2011, 11:39:54 PM »
sounds great!
i do that with paypal for all my big spending bonuses

Offline Shmelly

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
i do that with paypal for all my big spending bonuses
Interesting. Buy something using my SP on Paypal, return it and get the refund to my Paypal balance instead of the original SP? That works? If that's the case, why is Paypal+returning the item not the recommended method round these parts? Seems foolproof.