Topic Wiki

TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines

How it works

An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.

Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information that includes name, date of birth and address. An applicant will be fingerprinted and will be required to provide valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. An applicant also has the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an application center. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.

Once approved as eligible for TSA Pre✓™, the enrollee must enter the provided KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations on any of the ten participating airlines.  The KTN also can be added when booking reservations online via a participating airline website, via phone call to the airline reservation center, or with the travel management company making reservations.  Additionally, the KTN can be entered in participating airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
Please make sure the name used when applying for the TSA Pre✓™ application program matches the name used when booking travel.
TSA Pre✓™ eligibility will be identified with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on the boarding pass.

Important Notice

Please note, appointments may only be made for a date within a 45 day window of completing the online application, and if all available appointments are booked in that period, appointments would not be accepted, requiring the applicant to check back for availability. The applicant also may visit an application site as a “walk-in” without an appointment but could experience a longer wait time.

Ready to pre-enroll? Visit the TSA Pre✓™ application website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements?
A. If TSA determines that the applicant does not meet program eligibility requirements, the applicant will receive a letter via U.S. mail to the mailing address provided in the application with instructions on how to proceed.

Q. How can I pay?
A. Applicants pay at an application center with credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Application centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Check and money order payments for all services should be made payable to "MorphoTrust USA." Checks and money orders must be written in the exact amount. No change or refunds can be given.

Q. Can I be refunded the $85 fee?
A. No. TSA uses the application fee to cover the costs of background checks after the application is submitted. Therefore, no refunds are allowed, even if it is determined that the applicant does not meet eligibility requirements.

Q. Where can I apply in-person?
A. For information and directions to your nearest application center, click here. TSA has more than 300 locations nationwide.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment for an application center?
A. Visit the TSA Pre✓™ appointment webpage to make an appointment or contact the Universal Enrollment Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time.  Walk-ins are also allowed at most application centers, but wait times may be longer.

Q. What documents do I need to bring to the application center?
A. View the list of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents.

Q. How should I fill out my name on my application?
A. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the applicant’s identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents and be the name used when booking travel reservations.

Q. What if I have legally changed my name and it does not match the name on my identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents?
A. If the applicant has legally changed his or her name, that individual must provide an original or certified a court-ordered name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation. For example, when presenting a U.S. birth certificate with maiden name and a driver’s license with the married name, the applicant must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

Q. What happens if I cannot provide fingerprints or be fingerprinted?
A. For the in-person fingerprint collection, TSA has procedures to accommodate individuals who are partial or full amputees or who may be unable to provide ten-finger fingerprints.

Q. How will I be notified if I am approved?
A. If approved, the applicant will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail when TSA completes the review of their application. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel reservations. Applicants can also check their status online.

Q. Will I receive a card or credential to be used when traveling?
A. No. There is no card or credential provided by the TSA Pre✓™ application program.  Instead, the traveler would use the provided Known Traveler Number (KTN) when booking travel.  The KTN can be provided online when booking a flight. It also can be saved in the traveler’s profile, or provided verbally to the airline representative when booking travel by phone.

Q. If I have already been approved for Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or if I already have a KTN,  do I need to apply for the TSA Pre✓™ application program?
A. Individuals who already have a KTN, including members of Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, need not enroll in the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

Link to purchase Global Entry TSA pre-check for a discounted price.
« Last edited by chff on August 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Author Topic: TSA Precheck  (Read 178127 times)

Offline sky121

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
TSA Precheck
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
If I'm flying Delta and I put in my Alaska Air account that has my known traveler number will I still get TSA Precheck? Or do I have to put in my Delta mileage account that has my known traveler number?

Hope this isn't a dumb question.   :P
"Not all who wander are lost"

Offline Hudi

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: TSA Precheck
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:33:45 PM »
If you know your known traveler ID you can put it in manually regardless of which FF# you use.

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »
If you know your known traveler ID you can put it in manually regardless of which FF# you use.
Put it in where manually? Its added to both my mileage accounts. The Delta and the Alaskan.

Offline SearchGuy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 10:37:27 PM »
1) Is it worth to apply?

2) Are the lines so much faster?

3) If I apply for global Entry do I have to apply separately for PreCheck?

BTW It's not my first post in DDF... :P

Offline sillypainter

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:49 PM »
1) Is it worth to apply?

2) Are the lines so much faster?

3) If I apply for global Entry do I have to apply separately for PreCheck?

BTW It's not my first post in DDF... :P

Pre is definitely a great program, and lines are usually empty (not sure about certain airports, but I used it in EWR, and it was empty, better than priority).

GE gives it automatically, just use your ID number on your profile. It doesn't detect it on its own.

Offline PlatinumGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:07:58 PM »
Worth every dime
״וזה כלל גדול: שישנא אדם כל דבר שקר. וכל מה שיוסיף שנאה לדרכי השקר – יוסיף אהבה לתורה.״ - אורחות צדיקים

Offline momo613

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 11:16:50 PM »
I LOVE pre check! It cuts an average of 15-20 minutes per flight. I usually get through the tsa area in under 3 minutes with it

Offline Yordai Dooma

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »
Honestly depends on the airport and time of day. Many times i take the reg elite line as it moves quicker when pre gets backed up.

Offline ShmuliT

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 03:30:48 AM »
I have (GE and) precheck, but how exactly do i show i have it. My wife got a sticker on her passport, but my non USA passport does not.

Offline SearchGuy

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 103
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:37:29 AM »
GE gives it automatically, just use your ID number on your profile. It doesn't detect it on its own.
can you please explain a bit more on this?, where am I supposed to use it on my profile

Offline A3

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 06:40:55 AM »
can you please explain a bit more on this?, where am I supposed to use it on my profile

On your mileage profile, together with your birthdays etc. There is an option to add your  GE number.

Offline Bp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 08:20:51 AM »
It's called known traveler number or ID

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »

Most airlines have an option under your profile where you can add it. Of you can't find it call them.
Airlines sending me "We're in this together" emails.

Bruh, where were you when my suitcase weighed it 51.50 pounds?

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 08:51:30 AM »
Honestly depends on the airport and time of day. Many times i take the reg elite line as it moves quicker when pre gets backed up.
If your airport/terminal has a PreTSA line you don't have to take off your shoes and don't need to take out your laptop. I would always take this line just to avoid this hassle. The problem is they don't have this line everywhere. When I checked in with Lufthansa T1 in JFK they said they have no idea what it is.

Offline Menachem613

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »

If your airport/terminal has a PreTSA line you don't have to take off your shoes and don't need to take out your laptop. I would always take this line just to avoid this hassle. The problem is they don't have this line everywhere. When I checked in with Lufthansa T1 in JFK they said they have no idea what it is.

I choose airlines based on this availability.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2014, 10:20:54 AM »
AA ORD in the morning... I've tested it out... It can be like 10 minutes shorter in the reg line... I have a TSA approved laptop bag so I'll I'm doing is taking off my shoes absolutely belt. The line there for pre can be huge

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:27 PM »

What's a "TSA approved laptop bag"?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:14:59 PM by Bostener »

Offline sky121

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »
I have a TSA approved laptop bag

What's a "TSA approved laptop bag"?

A bag that you don't have to take the laptop out of.

Offline Bostener

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2014, 05:15:55 PM »
A bag that you don't have to take the laptop out of.

Where and how do you get it?

Offline lubaby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2014, 05:21:17 PM »
Where and how do you get it?
It just means that the back flap opens up so the laptop is visible without having to take it out.
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/commute-tsa-ipad-laptop-messenger-bag
See image 3