Topic Wiki

TSA Pre✓® Participating Airlines

How it works

An applicant must be a U.S. citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) and cannot have been convicted of certain crimes. If an applicant has a record of any of the crimes identified in the eligibility requirements, they may choose not to apply, as the application fee is nonrefundable.

Interested applicants must visit an application center to provide biographic information that includes name, date of birth and address. An applicant will be fingerprinted and will be required to provide valid required identity and citizenship/immigration documentation. An applicant also has the option to pre-enroll online to provide basic information and make an appointment before visiting an application center. There is a nonrefundable application processing fee of $85.

After completing enrollment, successful applicants will receive a Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail approximately 2-3 weeks following the visit to the application center. An applicant also may check status online by visiting https://universalenroll.dhs.gov/ and clicking on “Service Status.” The Known Traveler Number is valid for five years.

Once approved as eligible for TSA Pre✓™, the enrollee must enter the provided KTN in the ‘Known Traveler Number’ field when booking travel reservations on any of the ten participating airlines.  The KTN also can be added when booking reservations online via a participating airline website, via phone call to the airline reservation center, or with the travel management company making reservations.  Additionally, the KTN can be entered in participating airline frequent flyer profiles, where it will be stored for future reservations.
Please make sure the name used when applying for the TSA Pre✓™ application program matches the name used when booking travel.
TSA Pre✓™ eligibility will be identified with a TSA Pre✓™ indicator on the boarding pass.

Important Notice

Please note, appointments may only be made for a date within a 45 day window of completing the online application, and if all available appointments are booked in that period, appointments would not be accepted, requiring the applicant to check back for availability. The applicant also may visit an application site as a “walk-in” without an appointment but could experience a longer wait time.

Ready to pre-enroll? Visit the TSA Pre✓™ application website.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What if I do not meet the eligibility requirements?
A. If TSA determines that the applicant does not meet program eligibility requirements, the applicant will receive a letter via U.S. mail to the mailing address provided in the application with instructions on how to proceed.

Q. How can I pay?
A. Applicants pay at an application center with credit card, money order, company check, or certified/cashier's check. Cash and personal checks are not accepted. Application centers accept Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express, and Discover credit cards. Check and money order payments for all services should be made payable to "MorphoTrust USA." Checks and money orders must be written in the exact amount. No change or refunds can be given.

Q. Can I be refunded the $85 fee?
A. No. TSA uses the application fee to cover the costs of background checks after the application is submitted. Therefore, no refunds are allowed, even if it is determined that the applicant does not meet eligibility requirements.

Q. Where can I apply in-person?
A. For information and directions to your nearest application center, click here. TSA has more than 300 locations nationwide.

Q. Do I need to make an appointment for an application center?
A. Visit the TSA Pre✓™ appointment webpage to make an appointment or contact the Universal Enrollment Call Center at 1-855-DHS-UES1 (1-855-347-8371) Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m., Eastern Time.  Walk-ins are also allowed at most application centers, but wait times may be longer.

Q. What documents do I need to bring to the application center?
A. View the list of required identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents.

Q. How should I fill out my name on my application?
A. The name on the application must exactly match the name on the applicant’s identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents and be the name used when booking travel reservations.

Q. What if I have legally changed my name and it does not match the name on my identity and proof of citizenship/immigration documents?
A. If the applicant has legally changed his or her name, that individual must provide an original or certified a court-ordered name change document (such as marriage certificates or divorce decrees) in addition to the required documentation. For example, when presenting a U.S. birth certificate with maiden name and a driver’s license with the married name, the applicant must also provide a marriage certificate that shows the link between the names on the birth certificate and the driver’s license.

Q. What happens if I cannot provide fingerprints or be fingerprinted?
A. For the in-person fingerprint collection, TSA has procedures to accommodate individuals who are partial or full amputees or who may be unable to provide ten-finger fingerprints.

Q. How will I be notified if I am approved?
A. If approved, the applicant will receive a notification letter with an assigned Known Traveler Number (KTN) via U.S. mail when TSA completes the review of their application. The assigned KTN must be used when booking travel reservations. Applicants can also check their status online.

Q. Will I receive a card or credential to be used when traveling?
A. No. There is no card or credential provided by the TSA Pre✓™ application program.  Instead, the traveler would use the provided Known Traveler Number (KTN) when booking travel.  The KTN can be provided online when booking a flight. It also can be saved in the traveler’s profile, or provided verbally to the airline representative when booking travel by phone.

Q. If I have already been approved for Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, or if I already have a KTN,  do I need to apply for the TSA Pre✓™ application program?
A. Individuals who already have a KTN, including members of Global Entry, NEXUS, or SENTRI, need not enroll in the TSA Pre✓™ application program.

Link to purchase Global Entry TSA pre-check for a discounted price.
« Last edited by chff on August 16, 2019, 12:28:30 AM »

Author Topic: TSA Precheck  (Read 178123 times)

Offline Welder

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 13
    • View Profile
Re: TSA Precheck
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:21 PM »
"We need more welders and less philosophers" — Marco Rubio

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2015, 10:22:44 PM »
For some reason my pre-check isn't showing up on my southwest boarding pass. I called southwest and they told me to call tsa. I called tsa and they said that you are not always guaranteed pre-check on your boarding pass eventhough you are enrolled in pre-check??? Is that true?

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 15, 2015, 10:25:21 PM »
For some reason my pre-check isn't showing up on my southwest boarding pass. I called southwest and they told me to call tsa. I called tsa and they said that you are not always guaranteed pre-check on your boarding pass eventhough you are enrolled in pre-check??? Is that true?
Do you have a middle name that is not on the ticket? I always manage to get it added at check-in though.
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline keemster26

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 15, 2015, 10:32:52 PM »
Do you have a middle name that is not on the ticket? I always manage to get it added at check-in though.
Nvr mind. It came up somehow. Thanks for your help

Offline CS1

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • California Gourmet Premium Chocolate
  • Programs: DDSLA, DDSCLE, Bonvoy Titanium Feb 2025
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2015, 03:00:46 PM »

as long as you type in your "known traveler number", then pre-check should come up on the boarding pass.
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline Dr Moose

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2015, 03:01:59 PM »
officially yes. try adding it at the check-in desk.
Hey there! I am using DansDeals Forums.

Offline noturbizniss

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 30, 2015, 02:40:05 PM »
I booked aa using avios, added my mileage number using AY website, and on AA website I added KTID for everyone however I don't see it showing up under the reserevation. All I see is this.

When I click on Add/edit passenger info I see this:

READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline benjie1305

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 30, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
Isn't it the Known Traveler ID that you want to use for your TSA Pre #?
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2015, 02:42:52 PM »
Isn't it the Known Traveler ID that you want to use for your TSA Pre #?

yes, perfect -- That's where you put in your number -- where it says "known traveler ID".  i just did the same avios and that field came up. (If it only comes up for edit/add passenger, then edit your's.)
California Gourmet Belgian Nut-Free Chocolate Chips https://bit.ly/CaliforniaGourmetDirect

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
yes, perfect -- That's where you put in your number -- where it says "known traveler ID".  i just did the same avios and that field came up. (If it only comes up for edit/add passenger, then edit your's.)
Thing is i already added it but nothign is showing...
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
Normal
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

You should be able to add it at the counter at the airport as well if this actually doesn't work.

Worst case you'll just get in the TSA-Pre line and show your GE Card.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline coralsnake

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:46 PM »
Just call AA to verify that it's attached to each pax ressy. If it is youll be fine.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2015, 02:59:57 PM »
Just call AA to verify that it's attached to each pax ressy. If it is youll be fine.
thanks. Will do that. I'll confirm my free checked bag as well then.
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2015, 03:00:52 PM »
You should be able to add it at the counter at the airport as well if this actually doesn't work.

Worst case you'll just get in the TSA-Pre line and show your GE Card.

does the card work for domestic? GE told me that it's only for use if entering they country by boat or plane. 

you place the same KTID with each passenger? Or each their own ID#?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:05:17 PM by CS1 »

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »
does the card work for domestic? GE told me that it's only for use if entering they country by boat or plane. 
you please the same KTID with each passenger? Or each their own ID#?
each has their own ID. got 4 plat cards back in jan  ;D
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »
each has their own ID. got 4 plat cards back in jan  ;D

nice. you brought your kids to be interviewed? works from what age? we used to get TSA pre-check if we were with them, but not when flying alone. therefore for plat + global entry, had to drive 2 hrs to the airport that didn't have 100% booked appts. for 4-6 weeks.

Offline benjie1305

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2015, 03:08:13 PM »
nice. you brought your kids to be interviewed? works from what age? we used to get TSA pre-check if we were with them, but not when flying alone. had to drive 2 hrs to the airport that didn't have 100% booked appts. for 4-6 weeks.

They require it for every age for GE. For TSA Pre I believe your kids can come with parents. Have interviews in 2 weeks for 6 months old and 3 year old. What a pain.
Work hard, Play harder!

Offline noturbizniss

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2015, 03:12:07 PM »
So despite adding it three times it was no tthere, had the ressie rep add it in and now it's showing up.
nice. you brought your kids to be interviewed? works from what age? we used to get TSA pre-check if we were with them, but not when flying alone. therefore for plat + global entry, had to drive 2 hrs to the airport that didn't have 100% booked appts. for 4-6 weeks.
Brought them to EWR, we all went together, only about 25 minutes from the house. We hope to go to Israel at some point, and once my wife needed to go out of her way to go down we figured might as well bring us all.
Only thing was they couldn't fingerprint my almost 2 year old so I think we need her card or something if we go international. No international travel plans now, so it's not an issue.

READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline CS1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2015, 03:16:26 PM »
They require it for every age for GE. For TSA Pre I believe your kids can come with parents. Have interviews in 2 weeks for 6 months old and 3 year old. What a pain.

still smart --- will save you several/hundreds of hours over a lifetime of standing on line in security/scanners, removing laptops and customs lines. 
(and you don't need to drive with your kids 2 hrs away to an airport). Some airports decided to only book once a week, so in the spring they were booked for 3-4 months in advance.