Author Topic: MATERNITY LEAVE  (Read 1714 times)

Offline cucumber

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
MATERNITY LEAVE
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »
My wife has been working 3 months prior to having a baby, and her employer would not
arrange for her to receive unemployment benefits. She has pay stubs for the 3 months
of work, the baby is now 2 months old and my wife is currently not working. Is there a
way for her to still receive maternity leave benefits?

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: MATERNITY LEAVE
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
I believe maternity leave and unemployment benefits are two separate things. One is paid by the government, and one by private insurance. I may be wrong on this.

You don't need your employers cooperation to get unemployment, but AFAIK she will not receive unemployment benefits if she left the job on her own without being terminated.

As far as maternity leave, she probably can get the benefits but I'm not sure how. She would have to file very soon though.

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
i think your wife is looking for DBL benefits. "Disability benefit law"

Offline est

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »
they are two seperate things. unemployment i think you need to have worked for six months and you have to be ready, able and willing to work everyday you file for unemployment - which means your wife is not eligible. disability covers a birth but its is only for 6 weeks unless you get a doctors note that you need longer to recover ex. c-section. everyone is eligible her employer cannot deny. dont get too excited the max is a few hundred dollars.

Offline yeshivaman

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:40:58 PM »
what state? If its in NJ call Lakewood Resource & Refferal Center (LRRC). I can get you the number if you need it.
i wish i knew what i was doing...

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:27:15 PM »
what state? If its in NJ call Lakewood Resource & Refferal Center (LRRC). I can get you the number if you need it.

Good idea. Looks from his profile that he's in NY so call the UJO in Wiliamsburg they should be able to help and direct you.