Topic Wiki

https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/

https://www.mixcloud.com/zev-brenner/talkline-with-zev-brenner-on-credit-card-scams-affecting-the-orthodox-jewish-community/

http://podcast.headlinesbook.com/e/31616-credit-card-miles-and-points-swiping-for-rewards-buying-and-selling-miles-is-it-assur-and-a-chillul-hashem-or-a-great-way-for-a-side-parnassah/

BEFORE SWIPING FOR SOMEONE READ THIS: (first hand story)

https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=36812.msg2062371#msg2062371
https://www.dansdeals.com/more/dans-commentary/dark-side-earning-credit-card-points-psa-dont-swipe-others/#comment-1399884

Dan's warning to DDF:
I hope people realize that any buying group or anyone else that gets merchandise in advance of payment can go south at any time. That's even if you get a check at the time of delivery.
X-posting as I don't want anyone to say that I never put a warning here.

A story that ended up in court - https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=iRcRHuyZUdOIx69D00a5XQ==&display=all&courtType=Kings%20County%20Supreme%20Court&resultsPageNum=1

I am one of the biggest buyers for buying groups, I have done millions in transactions and have sent to every group there is over the past 3 years. Most buying groups are okay, some scan in slower than others, some pay slower than others - most will lose a few packages over the year. You can research and find which are better for you.

However there is a bigger problem now with Amazon itself.  Amazon in the past has been great with any problems always ready with a refund for lost packages even if it was thousands of dollars. Lately Amazon has clamped down and has tagged these buying groups addresses  in their systems as "freight forwarder" and now no longer will fix any problem you have whatsoever. Doesn't matter what the problem is, even if it shows the package was never delivered, amazon will not help you in any way. Their copy and paste response will always be "this item was sent to a freight forwarder and we're unable to replace or refund the item. We recommend contacting your freight forwarder for more details, as we don't have any more insight or information regarding this matter, For more information about sending items via freight forwarders, please visit our Help Pages: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117950." As well the amazon drivers either must know this or have been increasingly bad at delivering packages because the numbers of packages missing has gone up astronomically. Previously you would have very few packages missing, now the past 3 months I have had 59 "lost" packages. I now have over $15,000 of loses and some guy in Delaware is probably living the life with all the stuff he stole from me. I will survive, I have made a lot more than $15,000 over the years however just a warning to others here that things are not as they used to be and it really is no longer worth doing buring groups with all the loses piling up

« Last edited by Yo ssi on July 24, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »

Author Topic: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others  (Read 1199409 times)

Offline davidrotts63

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
Re: Buying Groups-Swiping
« Reply #720 on: May 03, 2018, 12:26:12 AM »
The deals seem to be unlimited - its as much as people have a credit limit and are willing to cycle- for example, there was a sale for a mac at $985 so I know someone who had a 50k credit limit and ordered 50 and cycled it....you can only get 1 per a customer online though there are 4 colors he just did guest checkout and in 1 hr ordered 50k worth to his house...they hand it to the guy and he gives them a check.

Some deals like iPad at a 499 price match are so worth it for them they are offering upwards of $15 commission per an item.

At end of the day only rule being skirted it seems is a limit in this case though one can say they are ordering on behalf of '1 per a family member' etc.

Best buy gets the money and the cc gets the money....i am trying to find whats wrong here
You are over simplifying getting orders through.
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline cholent

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 03, 2018, 12:31:26 AM »
I know people who do that or sometimes multiples of that, monthly.

Really? Very impressive
Don't ask stupid questions and you won't get stupid answers

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 03, 2018, 12:34:01 AM »
You are over simplifying getting orders through.
I know its difficult or they wouldn't offer it - I'm not trying to say something is fishy because "why don't they just order it themselves" -

let's take an example of an item without a commission to make things simple, they are resellers... it's much easier to get a bunch of people to buy for them vs spending hours getting creative with guest purchases etc.

I'm just trying to figure out is there any other not kosher or illegal dynamic that could get someone in trouble.

It seems the only issue is "household limit"....and not sure if its even a ethical issue to ignore that?

You could say technically once you buy it it's yours to deal with so even if you have in mind to buy as many as you want once you get it you can then 'decide' to resell even though BestBuy does not want that.

Further, most of these groups supply best buy tax id's that are given to the buying group people from best buy after they show bestbuy they are resellers so it seems they if they cared they would shut it down.....they should be able to tie 1,000's of ipad orders to a tax id they gave out.

^^^^^ I do not know Halacha this is just my ramble....am I trying to justify something unethical?

Offline mrprez27

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 03, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
Really? Very impressive

think about it - lets say a buying group will take as many macs as u can buy so you have a 100k limit even and u just order as many as possible.

I am sure its doable....question is - is this ethical and any even small factor here illegal?

Offline SamCan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 03, 2018, 02:12:22 AM »
If someone moves 100k per year a more, wont it trigger an audit from the irs, being that he is receiveing more than 100k a year from a certain corporation?

Offline yitrap

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 03, 2018, 02:17:02 AM »
If someone moves 100k per year a more, wont it trigger an audit from the irs, being that he is receiveing more than 100k a year from a certain corporation?
Open a business account. You are a business after all

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: May 03, 2018, 02:46:13 AM »
Really? Very impressive
You're not special
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 03, 2018, 03:06:49 AM »

Offline mmgfarb

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 03, 2018, 03:07:26 AM »
"JS [is] a fetid cesspool of unvarnished linguistic manure, with lots of useless drivel and post-padding." -Moishebatchy

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 03, 2018, 08:00:05 AM »
Really? Very impressive

and he is responding to me so I'm not special either  >:(

Offline ben89

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 142
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 03, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
There is no way in the world that that guy got 50 MacBook orders through. POIDH

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
Re: PSA: Don't swipe recklessly for others
« Reply #731 on: May 03, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »
Pretty sure I did 50+...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #732 on: May 03, 2018, 09:25:00 AM »
If that's the barometer to get audited, then half of DDF would have been audited already...
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »
I considered myself lucky when I was able to get 5 through. These days I'm lucky if I could get one to go through...

Offline davidrotts63

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 26
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Gold, Hyatt Member, BA Blue, Ebay banned, Amazon Prime
« Reply #734 on: May 03, 2018, 09:26:19 AM »
Pretty sure I did 50+...
From Best Buy?
(Quit) pulling out the flowers, and watering the weeds. -Peter Lynch

Offline chinagel

• View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 03, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
werent macbooks on ebay? theyre much easier

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 03, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
I don't believe this topic was touched upon in the 'swipe for others'.

There are a lot of 'buying groups' where people in the community will pay you back (and sometimes include a small commission) to buy stuff from stores such as BestBuy and in most cases price match.

My understanding is because they are trying to skirt ' limit per a household' and then sell these items overseas or when the sale ends?

This seems to be a great way to do massive churning (I have some coworkers moving a couple 100k and also some itemss have a commission).

Besides for the risk that the person may go under and not pay.

Is this kosher? Anyone familiar?

Thank You
PSA: Be very careful doing this. Most of these are shoestring operations and have no backup capital if something goes wrong.
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline Mountain Man

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 03, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »
I know its difficult or they wouldn't offer it - I'm not trying to say something is fishy because "why don't they just order it themselves" -

let's take an example of an item without a commission to make things simple, they are resellers... it's much easier to get a bunch of people to buy for them vs spending hours getting creative with guest purchases etc.

I'm just trying to figure out is there any other not kosher or illegal dynamic that could get someone in trouble.

It seems the only issue is "household limit"....and not sure if its even a ethical issue to ignore that?

You could say technically once you buy it it's yours to deal with so even if you have in mind to buy as many as you want once you get it you can then 'decide' to resell even though BestBuy does not want that.

Further, most of these groups supply best buy tax id's that are given to the buying group people from best buy after they show bestbuy they are resellers so it seems they if they cared they would shut it down.....they should be able to tie 1,000's of ipad orders to a tax id they gave out.

^^^^^ I do not know Halacha this is just my ramble....am I trying to justify something unethical?
I think you're only issue is getting your accounts banned at retailers. And you're writing an over simplIfication. You didn't once mention all the canceled orders and redirected packages. 50 macs in an hour (that actually got delivered) is incredibly impressive.

Imho it's very easy for the companies to link accounts. I believe they don't because it serves them well. It seems to me you should ask your LOR more than a forum. Or ping @yehuda .
Quote from: JTZ link=topic=10531.msg1695873
If you never had to eat crow then you lived one boring life.

Online yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 03, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »
PSA: Be very careful doing this. Most of these are shoestring operations and have no backup capital if something goes wrong.
If you get the packages to your house, and that buying group goes bankrupt, worst case you could just return the items. It's a pain, but it's not a terrible loss..

Offline cholent

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 03, 2018, 09:44:11 AM »
If you get the packages to your house, and that buying group goes bankrupt, worst case you could just return the items. It's a pain, but it's not a terrible loss..
Unless you give it to them in exchange for a check which then bounces