Author Topic: BMG's "Adirei HaTorah" Event  (Read 33088 times)

Offline gubevo18

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: BMG's "Adirei HaTorah" Event
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »
I believe it’s intended to be used when the compared item is contrasted with the original interpretation. I think it’s used when the source you’re bringing is different than your assertion, not when it’s similar.

(My main exposure to cf. is Artscroll footnotes).

ETA: I think many people use it wrong, not just here.
In legal writing cf. means sort of compare with when the source is similar but not directly supporting. When you want to show something supports an opposing conclusion/viewpoint you would either us but see or contra depending on the context.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2023, 07:11:43 PM »
In legal writing cf. means sort of compare with when the source is similar but not directly supporting. When you want to show something supports an opposing conclusion/viewpoint you would either us but see or contra depending on the context.
I’m aware it’s used that way, but I believe it is in error. These aren’t great sources but
https://scientistseessquirrel.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/friends-dont-let-friends-use-cf/
https://seamussweeney.net/2018/05/31/i-have-been-using-cf-wrongly-for-my-entire-life/

“cf.

The abbreviation cf. stands for the Latin word confer which means “compare.” It is primarily used in endnotes or footnotes to point readers to works that the author recommends referencing in comparison with the work at hand. Therefore, it might be more useful to read cf. as “but compare this to.” It is generally preceded by citations of works that are sources for the author’s argument and then followed by one or two examples of works that somehow differ from or depart from the argument. Although it is not strictly necessary to explain how these works are different, you might find it useful to include a short phrase for the benefit of your reader.

Example: 2. Jones 1992, Smith 2003; cf. on methodology Harris 2005.”

Source- https://writingcenter.unc.edu/tips-and-tools/latin-terms-and-abbreviations/#:~:text=The%20abbreviation%20cf.,with%20the%20work%20at%20hand.
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline Afrages6

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2023, 07:14:48 PM »
Are you aware of the fact that Lakewood has become essentially the healthcare capital of America with a thriving jobs economy? Driven almost exclusively by the aforementioned Kollel yungerliet? and there are now a large amount of lucrative entry-level positions in many Lakewood companies?

But honestly, that wasn't my point. It's about where our priorities lie and what we value.
Do you really believe these things or just see big buildings going up so assume it’s true?
There’s a big difference between making money off a few deals and building wealth. I think a lot of people are learning that now and it’ll have vast effects throughout or communities.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2023, 08:07:46 PM »
I understood it as the equivalent of השוה. I appreciate the clarification

I was mistaken, your השטה seems to align with S209’s correct definition that I was unaware of
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2023, 09:24:26 PM »
Do you really believe these things or just see big buildings going up so assume it’s true?
There’s a big difference between making money off a few deals and building wealth. I think a lot of people are learning that now and it’ll have vast effects throughout or communities.
There are many of both types
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online yungermanchik

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Location: Previous Signatures: If you chapped hana'ah from a post, like it; You think you know the answers and things are the way they seem.. it just ain't so -The Rebbe from Lublin-
Re: BMG's "adireinu" Event
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2023, 10:47:01 PM »
Thanks. I always mistakenly thought it meant עיין
I think you're correct.
I believe it’s intended to be used when the compared item is contrasted with the original interpretation. I think it’s used when the source you’re bringing is different than your assertion, not when it’s similar.

(My main exposure to cf. is Artscroll footnotes).

ETA: I think many people use it wrong, not just here.
ממקום שבאת

End of 1st paragraph.
Small people talk about other people.
Average people talk about things
BIG PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.

Offline S209

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
    • Gowns By Shevy
  • Programs: Marriott Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, National EE, Rock Royalty Wild Card, Wyndham Diamond, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Uber VIP, IHG Platinum Elite, ANA Platinum, DDF Lifetime Prez Platinum Elite, AmEx Platinum
Re: BMG's "adireinu" Event
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2023, 11:40:48 PM »
I meant in the Gemaros. I don’t think that’s how it’s used in the footnotes there. Maybe I’m wrong.

(Either way further research reveals I’m likely correct regardless of how they use it, cf. the links upthread).
Quote from: YitzyS
Quotes in a signature is annoying, as it comes across as an independent post.

Offline herb

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2024, 09:43:21 AM »

June 16th

Offline dealfinder11

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2024, 03:39:30 PM »

June 16th

Does anyone know if they landed on a location yet? I know they were researching potentially using Metlife this time.