Topic Wiki

Q: How can I take advantage of the Amex Platinum $200 airline fee reimbursement?
    A: There are 4 options:
    • Airline Fees- Use your Amex Platinum card to pay for any fees charged by an airline, such as close-in booking; award processing; baggage; etc (not valid for tickets).
    • Gift Cards - Purchase $200 worth of airline gift cards in increments of $100 or less. Some have purchased $200 flat and have gotten reimbursed.
    • PlatinumGuy's Grand Mehalech (aka PGGM).
    • CHFFGM - for the people who have United registered as their Airline of choice book an award ticket on United.com less than 21 days in advance. An Intra-Hawaii award is just 6k for a one way. Cancel it right after booking it. Get refund from United, and a credit will come from AMEX as well. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3802.msg481681#msg481681 (but see here)

PGGM:
  • Register for Delta Airlines as your airline of choice here: https://americanexpress.com/airlinechoice ;
  • Purchase a non-refundable Delta ticket departing from a USA airport (even on another card) that has at least 3 passengers or 3 segments (e.g. NYC-TLV-NYC-LAX).  Make sure to choose international flights, or longer flights within the USA such as JFL-LAX. [Most flights within the USA have EC's that are $59 or cheaper, and will therefore require more segments. Some flights do not have EC's at all.]
    Alternatively, you can book a round-trip JFK-TLV for 1 passenger.
  • Go to 'My Reservations' and purchase Economy comfort (EC) seats on your plat card.
    [You may have to scroll "up" on the seatmap using the hard-to-find scrollbar on the right, to find the EC seats].
    EC prices fluctuate, the main things is that all your EC's add up to $200, and that none of them are more than $150 each.
    [Current examples: JFK-LAX @ $89 each; three segments/passengers required. JFK-TLV @ $99 each; two segments/passengers required.] Edit from ae123: Keep in mind that some tickets will not have any EC available while others may allow for free EC upgrades. This is something you won't know until AFTER buying the ticket. now shows online if EC available. Hence, you may need to buy a few tickets before building up the $200.
  • After 4 minutes to 24 hours, call Delta to cancel the ticket and ask for a refund. Make sure to mention EC refund. (You can do this online, but its sometimes a PITA to have everything credited correctly.)
    Recent reports are that cancelling online has successfully reflected refund of EC charges without issues. To cancel online go to mytrips, selected the trip and choose cancel in the top right corner.  The message coming up after cancellation says "Any Economy Comfort seating charges have been refunded"
  • The ticket itself will remain a pending charge and will disappear in a few days (or will actually post and you'll receive a credit thereafter).
  • The EC charge will also post. Initially, the charges may post in "pending charges" as one large lump sum, but will eventually post to your statement as separate charges.
  • Thereafter (from several days to several weeks), you'll get reimbursed by AmEx.
  • Say thanks to PlatinumGuy!

Q: I know I'll get this benefit with the American Express Platinum Card, But how about the American Express Mercedes-Benz Platinum card? Is that card eligible for this awesome benefit?
A: Yes.
Q: Wow! And how about the American Express Business Platinum card?
A: Yes! That card also offers the credit!
Q: Is there anything I need to do in order to be eligible for the credit?
A: Yes, you must first register for a particular airline you want to get credited for.
Q: How do I register for an airline?
A: You can call the number on the back of your card, or you can do it here: https://americanexpress.com/airlinechoice
Q: Once I choose an airline, can I change my airline of choice?
A: Per the Terms & Conditions, you can only change once in a calendar-year, but you can ask them to change it if your credit hasn't been used yet.
Q: How can I maximize this benefit to get the most out of it?
A: Since you're eligible to receive the $200 credit each calendar-year, you can apply for the card at the end of the year and get $200 in December + another $200 in January.

Notes:

Cannot you can buy Delta Gift Cards online. Additionally, Delta GC's can only be used at a ticket office or the airport.
JetBlue gift cards do not seem to work
United gift certificates worked as of last year, but only one can be used per reservation, and they can't be used with award tickets.[/list]
American GC cannot be used on award tickets
« Last edited by how on August 11, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »

Author Topic: AMEX Platinum $200 Airline Fee Credit, Effective 12/01/10  (Read 278535 times)

Offline yosseld

• Non-Elite Member
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
AMEX Platinum $200 Airline Fee Credit, Effective 12/01/10
« on: October 20, 2010, 11:02:26 AM »
AMEX Platinum: The Grandaddy Of Credit Cards!
Wednesday, September 15th, 2010
Update 3: Major changes were announced to the Platinum card and membership rewards program:
-Effective 12/01/10 AMEX Platinum cardholders will get a $200 per calendar year credit for spending on any airline fees, including baggage fees, flight change fees, in-flight food/snack fees, or lounge passes!  Sign up now and get a $200 credit for spending in December 2010 and a $200 credit in January 2011!

I just spoke with a rep. from Amex, they haven't heard of this promo. I want to be clear before I apply for the card, I will get $200 to spend in Dec and again in Jan? This basically means I am only paying $50 for the card?!? How do I make sure to get this "credit" from them?

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:18:12 PM by Dan »

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Re: AMEX Platinum, Effective 12/01/10
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 11:05:58 AM »
It is only good for one airlines, It is legit I got a package in the mail from them explaining all the new benefits.
You cannot use it for tickets, just for "extras" on one specific airline, not sure if you can change the airline but you have to register it.. Extras include- Baggage fees, snacks, drinks, headsets, tv, etc. 

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:07:35 AM »
It is only good for one airlines, It is legit I got a package in the mail from them explaining all the new benefits.
You cannot use it for tickets, just for "extras" on one specific airline, not sure if you can change the airline but you have to register it.. Extras include- Baggage fees, snacks, drinks, headsets, tv, etc. 

Does it cover fuel surcharges? What about booking/ticketing fees?
Quote from: עירובין לד בשינוי
האי אפפוראמא דאזלינן מיני׳ כבי הילולא דמיא, חטוף ואכול חטוף ושתי

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:16:18 PM »

came in the mail and recall from reading the fine print, that one may change their preferred airline but it takes some time for the system to change it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8769
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, UA 1K+Lifetime *G+Lifetime UC, DL Dirt, WN A-List, Airtran Lifetime Elite, Flying Blue Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
I wonder if GCs from the airline would qualify?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline A3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »
Should there reason to Believe that Spirit Airlines will not be a qualifying airlines?

Offline A3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:27:40 PM »
came in the mail and recall from reading the fine print, that one may change their preferred airline but it takes some time for the system to change it

"Only the Basic Card member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card accountcan enroll and select the qualifying airline. Card members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. It can take up to 48 hours post enrollment and airline choice for the benefit to be effective. Card members who have already selected a qualifying airline will not be able to change their choice until December of each calendar year at which time they may change their airline choice for the following calendar year. Card members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. "

This is from the terms and conditions

https://www217.americanexpress.com/cards/platinum/benefit.do?benefitTemplate=template_b&benefitId=platinumbenefitnews

Offline yosseld

• Non-Elite Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 04:48:04 PM »
Sign up now and get a $200 credit for spending in December 2010 and a $200 credit in January 2011!
I was wondering what this specific $200 credit was for? Is it only to be used for airline fees? Or is this for any spending for those 2 months?

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
would this include frequent flier ticket change fees. for example aa charges 150 for an airport vhange to an award ticket? (or duty free?!!)

Offline A3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:54 PM »
would this include frequent flier ticket change fees. for example aa charges 150 for an airport vhange to an award ticket? (or duty free?!!)

As long as on the credit card statement it comes up as the airline you choose i think it may work, So wifi bec it is a third party will not work, Duty free im not sure who you pay... But change fees it specifically lists that one as one of the fees it would cover.

Offline yid

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:12:53 PM »
I meant in flight duty free, but somehow i doubt that will work.

Offline A3

• View Profile
Re: AMEX Platinum $200 Airline Fee Credit, Effective 12/01/10
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:25:30 PM »
I meant in flight duty free, but somehow i doubt that will work.

I was aware of that, but inflight does it still get charged to the airline or to a third company  (like inflight wifi)?

Offline David

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA lifetime Platinum, Delta Silver, SPG gold, Hyatt diamond, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Enterprise Gold, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, and Starbucks Gold!!!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:48 AM »
So with the amex platinum becoming the new DD membership card (due to the current promo), has anyone figured out a good way to "cash out" the $200 airline credit fee?

Also, is it kedai to use amex travel when booking hotels to get the extra amenities or when reserving cars to get the collision insurance covered?

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »
So with the amex platinum becoming the new DD membership card (due to the current promo), has anyone figured out a good way to "cash out" the $200 airline credit fee?
someone suggested airline prepaid cards. does that exist? are they included in the promo? can they be ebayed?

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 11:54:57 AM »
someone suggested airline prepaid cards. does that exist? are they included in the promo? can they be ebayed?
They do exist, for example AA Gift Cards.
If they're included in the promo is a better question, but i'd dare say not.