DO NOT CALL IN, NO MATTER WHAT!!
- Q: How can I take advantage of the Amex Platinum $200 airline fee reimbursement?
A: There are 4 options:
- Airline Fees- Use your Amex Platinum card to pay for any fees charged by an airline, such as close-in booking; award processing; baggage; etc (not valid for tickets).
- Gift Cards - Purchase $200 worth of airline gift cards (in increments of $100 or less -myth). All who have purchased $200 flat have gotten reimbursed.
- PlatinumGuy's Grand Mehalech (aka PGGM).
- CHFFGM - for the people who have United registered as their Airline of choice book an award ticket on United.com less than 21 days in advance. An Intra-Hawaii award is just 6k for a one way. Cancel it right after booking it. Get refund from United, and a credit will come from AMEX as well. http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=3802.msg481681#msg481681 (but see here)
- Register for Delta Airlines as your airline of choice here: https://americanexpress.com/airlinechoice ;
- Purchase a non-refundable Delta ticket departing from a USA airport (even on another card) that has at least 3 passengers or 3 segments (e.g. NYC-TLV-NYC-LAX). Make sure to choose international flights, or longer flights within the USA such as JFL-LAX. [Most flights within the USA have EC's that are $59 or cheaper, and will therefore require more segments. Some flights do not have EC's at all.]
Alternatively, you can book a round-trip JFK-TLV for 1 passenger. (Note: NON -USA airport departures likely do NOT have a 24 hour refund policy; purchase only tickets departing from a USA airport.)
- Go to 'My Reservations' and purchase Economy comfort (EC) seats on your plat card.
[You may have to scroll "up" on the seatmap using the hard-to-find scrollbar on the right, to find the EC seats].
EC prices fluctuate, the main things is that all your EC's add up to $200 or more, and that none of them are more than $150 each.
[Current examples: JFK-LAX @ $89 each; three segments/passengers required. JFK-TLV @ $109 each; two segments/passengers required.] Edit from ae123: Keep in mind that some tickets will not have any EC available while others may allow for free EC upgrades.
This is something you won't know until AFTER buying the ticket. now shows online if EC available. Hence, you may need to buy a few tickets before building up the $200.
- After 4 minutes to 24 hours, call Delta to cancel the ticket and ask for a refund. Make sure to mention EC refund. (You can do this online, but its sometimes a PITA to have everything credited correctly.)
Recent reports are that cancelling online has successfully reflected refund of EC charges without issues. To cancel online go to mytrips, selected the trip and choose cancel in the top right corner. The message coming up after cancellation says "Any Economy Comfort seating charges have been refunded"
- The ticket itself will remain a pending charge and will disappear in a few days (or will actually post and you'll receive a credit thereafter).
- The EC charge will also post. Initially, the charges may post in "pending charges" as one large lump sum, but will eventually post to your statement as separate charges.
- Thereafter (from several days to several weeks), you'll get reimbursed by AmEx.
- Say thanks to PlatinumGuy!
Q: I know I'll get this benefit with the American Express Platinum Card, But how about the American Express Mercedes-Benz Platinum card? Is that card eligible for this awesome benefit?
Q: Wow! And how about the American Express Business Platinum card?
A: Yes! That card also offers the credit!
Q: Is there anything I need to do in order to be eligible for the credit?
A: Yes, you must first register for a particular airline you want to get credited for.
Q: How do I register for an airline?
A: You can call the number on the back of your card, or you can do it here: https://americanexpress.com/airlinechoice
Q: Once I choose an airline, can I change my airline of choice?
A: Per the Terms & Conditions, you can only change once in a calendar-year, but you can ask them to change it if your credit hasn't been used yet.
Q: How can I maximize this benefit to get the most out of it?
A: Since you're eligible to receive the $200 credit each calendar-year, you can apply for the card at the end of the year and get $200 in December + another $200 in January.
you can buy Delta Gift Cards online.
Additionally, Delta GC's can only be used at a ticket office or the airport.
You can redeem Delta ecerts online. A maximum of three payment methods at once may be used when buying tickets online, so a max of 2 eCerts + CC will be permitted per purchase exceeding $150
JetBlue gift cards do not seem to work
United gift certificates worked as of last year, but only one can be used per reservation, and they can't be used with award tickets. It seems they no longer work. Only UA gift registry still works.
American GC work, but cannot be used on award tickets
Authorized users DO NOT get the $200 airline reimbursement.