Author Topic: What card to use?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline EliH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
What card to use?
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:31:14 AM »
Having many different CC and needing to charge 25-30k, is there a better option with the spending bonuses than SPG? I have not done a good job of tracking the various bonuses, just focused on the initial spending needs.
Thanks in advance,
Eli

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: What card to use?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
Having many different CC and needing to charge 25-30k, is there a better option with the spending bonuses than SPG? I have not done a good job of tracking the various bonuses, just focused on the initial spending needs.
Thanks in advance,
Eli

Is this a one-time or an ongoing thing? When do you have to charge this by? What category is the charge (e.g. home improvement, telecommunications etc.)?
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline EliH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »
One time, charge by Dec 31, category - financial services.
Thanks for your time & effort.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 02:22:56 PM »
One time, charge by Dec 31, category - financial services.
Thanks for your time & effort.

Considering you're charging by 12/31, you have enough time to apply (if you have good credit) for a card and get a signup bonus for the $25K-30K in spending. Depending on how you value rewards, there are lots of cards you can sign up for. Some examples include BA signature visa (from Chase) which offers a 2 for 1 reward bonus for $30 in annual spending (besides for their signup promo, currently @ $25K, $50K if you stay longer than a year). The 100K BA Amex (for $10K in Spending). And of course see this post by Dan.

I don't know of any rewards/cashback cards that offer bonus points for that category. Better off charging it as one charge so that if it goes through as a cash-advance (vs. as a purchase) it'll fail (I don't know anyone who has a cash advance limit that high).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:26:57 PM by AsherO »
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »
Considering you're charging by 12/31, you have enough time to apply (if you have good credit) for a card and get a signup bonus for the $25K-30K in spending. Depending on how you value rewards, there are lots of cards you can sign up for. Some examples include BA signature visa (from Chase) which offers a 2 for 1 reward bonus for $30 in annual spending (besides for their signup promo, currently @ $25K, $50K if you stay longer than a year). The 100K BA Amex (for $10K in Spending). And of course see this post by Dan.

I don't know of any rewards/cashback cards that offer bonus points for that category. Better off charging it as one charge so that if it goes through as a cash-advance (vs. as a purchase) it'll fail (I don't know anyone who has a cash advance limit that high).
Bear in mind that BA is now apparently charging $$$$ surcharges for AA, BA, and IB travel.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline EliH

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:23:19 PM »
Thanks x2, will not ring as a cash advance