Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Where to go from here?
« on: October 26, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »
So I went on a bit of an application spree (ok for me it was a spree, for some of you it's probably a weekly occurence).

In late August I applied for the Citi AA card with the 75k mile bonus and was rejected due to insufficient credit history ( which I found funny since I have had a CC since I was 18 and I am 26 now with several CCs), and a late payment from several years ago.  In September, I applied for Chase Checking with CO debit card and got that ( I know its not a credit card, but I didn't know if it was relevant in terms of credit checking), then applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred and was approved, then applied for Starwoods Preferred Guest either at the end of September or early October and was approved, then applied for Chase CO MC this month and was rejected due to too many recent inquiries. 

How long should I wait before applying for something else, and what should I apply for?  I'll apply for a business card if it's not a hassle but I would have to say sole prop ebay business.  I would prefer to apply for non-business cards at least for now.  Lets see who can convince me to follow their advice :)  You can suggest several cards if you like but maybe suggest in what order I should get them.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 01:33:23 PM »
First of all congrats on getting all those cards!

Now, just because you were denied by one bank for too many inquiries does not mean the other ones won't approve you. But if you want to better your chances, I would check all three credit reports and see which have the least inquiries, as typically each bank only checks one report, then select a CC that will check the report with the least inquiries (search the web to find out who checks what in your state).

Offline Monsey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
If you applied for the co mc within 30 days of the chase sapphire prefered then chase probably didnt even pull your credit and just denied you for too many recent applications with them not because there are too many applications on your credit report

Offline bem684

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 01:03:57 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. 

Does anyone have suggestions as to which card(s) to apply for next?  I don't have a preferred airline or anything like that but it seems like I'll be getting most of my miles from Continental for now since I will get the checking account bonus and the Sapphire Preferred points which I plan to convert to Continental.  Can any of the other active offers get me a lot of CO miles?  I was thinking it might be worth trying again for that Citi AA card in a few months just because it's enough miles for a free flight even without combining any other offers. 

Your thoughts, Mileage Mavens?