Author Topic: Mauritius or Seychelles  (Read 39169 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Mauritius or Seychelles
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2016, 08:07:31 PM »

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:17 AM »
What's the closest place to SEZ that has a Minyan on Shabbos?

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »

Nairobi Hebrew Congregation which I believe is now under the auspices of Chabad 

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2016, 12:26:43 PM »
Cat 6 S. Regis looks like a good use of points.

Staying here in January next month for my honeymoon. booked via SPG Platinum with cash and points, 6.7 cents per point.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2016, 12:57:27 PM »
Nairobi Hebrew Congregation which I believe is now under the auspices of Chabad
Thank you

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2016, 01:02:05 PM »
Planning to go?

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »
BTW I had no issue at all bringing food into SEZ though hotel warned it could be an issue

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:51 AM »
Planning to go?
Researching warm winter destinations that don't have Zika. The HH has availability for when I could go, but I just found out I'm limited to Sun-Sun total travel time so it likely doesn't make sense to go so far.

Offline Saulius

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »
I am planning on a trip to Seychelles on the 11th of December. Wondering if it's worth it as well to fly to Mauritius, particularly Rodrigues Island.

Offline damaxer91

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2016, 05:18:13 PM »
I am planning on a trip to Seychelles on the 11th of December. Wondering if it's worth it as well to fly to Mauritius, particularly Rodrigues Island.

If you have the time... But SEZ is def nicer

Offline Dawie

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2016, 05:32:11 PM »
Thank you
JNB isn;t much further and has many more options flight and accommodation wise

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2016, 09:06:40 PM »
Any advice how many days should I spend on each islands? Mahe, Praslin, and La Digue?
Solo adventurer here.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2016, 02:29:41 AM »
I flew Turkish to SEZ. The Istanbul to Seychelles leg was 8 hours, and the plane was for the most part empty. Immigration asked to see proof of accomodations and my return ticket, which I showed on my Smartphone. Just the 9 hour time difference from EST is a killer. Jetlagged all week. Suggest those visiting to bring snorkeling gear, and head straight to the island of La Digue. There is plenty of budget self catering accomodations

Offline Luvtotravel

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
I flew Turkish to SEZ. The Istanbul to Seychelles leg was 8 hours, and the plane was for the most part empty. Immigration asked to see proof of accomodations and my return ticket, which I showed on my Smartphone. Just the 9 hour time difference from EST is a killer. Jetlagged all week. Suggest those visiting to bring snorkeling gear, and head straight to the island of La Digue. There is plenty of budget self catering accomodations
pictures?
Don't wait for the perfect moment; take the moment and make it perfect.

Offline Drago

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2016, 08:15:00 AM »
Details on the trip? It's on the bucket list.

Offline jomaster28

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2017, 05:23:14 PM »
I went to Mauritius for a week in January and had an amazing time. Stayed at the Westin Turtle Bay & the St Regis. Both hotels were amazing but of course the St. Regis is better.

My wife and I ran into a couple traveling all across Asia/Africa and they went to Seychelles before they came to Mauritius. They said without a doubt Mauritius is much better than Seychelles.

That is about all i can help with the debate between the two countries.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »
Say what??? "Mauritius much better than Seychelles"??? Somebody must be smoking crack here!!!
Either that couple didn't step out of the airport or didn't tour the islands of Seychelles at all.  (And yes,
I have landed many times before in Seychelles just to change planes because from Johannesburg
to Abu Dhabi, there is a codeshare with Etihad Airlines and Air Seychelles).

I spent a week in La Digue, Seychelles last December. Praislin Island and La Digue are absolutely stunning.

If one does go to Mauritius, I would highly recommend that one should head straight to Rodrigues Island. (Airport code RRG)

I went to Mauritius for a week in January and had an amazing time. Stayed at the Westin Turtle Bay & the St Regis. Both hotels were amazing but of course the St. Regis is better.

My wife and I ran into a couple traveling all across Asia/Africa and they went to Seychelles before they came to Mauritius. They said without a doubt Mauritius is much better than Seychelles.

That is about all i can help with the debate between the two countries.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:24:13 PM by Saulius »

Offline astrophy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »
Say what??? "Mauritius much better than Seychelles"??? Somebody must be smoking crack here!!!
Either that couple didn't step out of the airport or didn't tour the islands of Seychelles at all.  (And yes,
I have landed many times before in Seychelles just to change planes because from Johannesburg
to Abu Dhabi, there is a codeshare with Etihad Airlines and Air Seychelles).

I spent a week in La Digue, Seychelles last December. Praislin Island and La Digue are absolutely stunning.

If one does go to Mauritius, I would highly recommend that one should head straight to Rodrigues Island. (Airport code RRG)

We've booked our flights and will be doing 12 nights in the Seychelles. We were looking at La Digue and Praslin. Do you have a suggestion on how many days to do in each and if Mahe is worth a few nights? La Digue seems to be more affordable with Airbnb's. We also weren't sure what part of each island to stay on. Hard to find good trip reports.

Offline Saulius

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2017, 04:39:20 AM »
We've booked our flights and will be doing 12 nights in the Seychelles. We were looking at La Digue and Praslin. Do you have a suggestion on how many days to do in each and if Mahe is worth a few nights? La Digue seems to be more affordable with Airbnb's. We also weren't sure what part of each island to stay on. Hard to find good trip reports.

I hope you are not flying straight from San Diego to Seychelles, as you would be extremely get lagged. (Seychelles is GMT+4 )
I prefer to skip Mahe, or stay there on the first day of arrival (especially if you are arriving late), or stay there on the night before
as well if your departure is early. When I arrived in Mahe early in the morning, I took the shuttle to the ferry dock in Victoria,
and took the ferry to Praislin. (From Praislin to La Digue is a short hop). The ferry ride is quite long, over an hour, and if you
are going the Winter months, June-September, I would highly recommend taking the 15-minute flight instead, as many people get extremely seasick. (There are staff standing there with vomit bags).

On La Digue, everybody rents bikes - and also there are day excursions to various islands like Cousin, Curieuse, St.Pierre, Felicité, Isle Coco, etc. Curieuse is very popular for their Giant Tortoise Sanctuary. Where to stay depends on the month you are coming, as during the Winter months, some areas are not suitable because of the wind and sea-weed. On Praislin you might want to rent a car for a few days. On La Digue, everybody rents a bike. I did look at airbnb, but I ended up finding self-catering accommodations at good prices.

Offline astrophy

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Thanks!

We are flying into AUH and are going to do some nights in Dubai and then I think it's a 4.5 hour flight to SEZ.

I've thought about adding on the 15 minute flight to Praslin with a separate ticket. The issue is that we plan to bring two bags each since we will be gone for a month and I've only read one report that Air Seychelles will allow two bags when coming from an international flight. We've done a similar speed boat ride from Bali to near by islands and you are right... after about 30 minutes you are ready for it to be over. Though, I thought there was a direct ferry to La Digue that was offered less frequently each day?

I think the biggest complaints I've heard about La Digue is the lack of food options and things to do. I think possibly the excursions could take care of that? The lack of food options is a downside, but we've been in places in the Philippines that were similar and it wasn't bad.

Do you think its worth spending any days on Mahe if we are planning days on Praslin and La Digue?