Author Topic: Trip Report: Should You Tip Your Uber Eats Driver?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline Yehudaa

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
Re: Trip Report: Should You Tip Your Uber Eats Driver?
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 09:05:26 AM »
Off topic slightly,
unless you have real good reason, like serious discount for using ubereats, grubhub etc. DON"T
they take up to 30% off the order that leaves a hardworking yid with considerably less parnassah
altz the mitzvah of giving livlihood to a yid call the store, yes it is annoying and slower but is a real mitzvah
and you save the tip for the ubereats........only to be given to the store deliveryboy

They shouldn’t lose anything if they mark up the price to account for the fees, which many (most?) do. Someone on DDF recently posted a comparison of prices in store vs. Uber Eats at a bunch of restaurants, and IIRC most were marked up substantially.

(If someone remembers where that post was, pls post.)

Offline Yehudaa

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 111
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 09:18:22 AM »
My two cents about tipping:

I don’t like tipping, and I wish restaurants, delivery services, and rideshare platforms just paid their staff a living wage and increased prices accordingly and then encouraged no tipping.

BUT as a visibly Jewish guy with a very Jewish name, I consider myself to be a member of God’s PR team, and I think not tipping would reflect poorly on me, and consequently on Hashem who named us his people. I therefore try to tip whatever the market standard is on a given service.

Obviously market standard is up for debate, but I try to figure it out. There are situations where I think it’s not the standard, but if I think the standard is to tip in a given situation, then I do.

Do I like giving away my hard-earned money? Absolutely not. Do I think it’s a good system? No. But under the circumstances, I think we do have to tip enough to not be viewed as ungrateful or taking advantage.

/.02

Offline mevinyavin

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
    • Laptop help/deal request template
  • Programs: Windows 10 and 11 Home, Word/Excel/Publisher 2021, Wordweb, McGill English Dictionary of Rhyme, VLC, Torat Emet, 7-Zip, Lightshot, Calibre, FDM, FreeFileSync, Teracopy, Handbreak, Lightshot
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 09:33:41 AM »

BUT as a visibly Jewish guy with a very Jewish name, I consider myself to be a member of God’s PR team, and I think not tipping would reflect poorly on me, and consequently on Hashem who named us his people. I therefore try to tip whatever the market standard is on a given service.

...Ayen shom od...

I am also consciously aware that my behavior reflects on other frum Jews. This means I err on the side of caution when dealing with a Chiloni and when dealing with Arabs.
Quote from: ExGingi
Echo chambers are boring and don't contribute much to deeper thinking and understanding!

Offline Yehuda57

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2024, 09:35:00 AM »
So why work these jobs?

Becuase finding a higher paying job is always super easy and a walk in the park for anyone, especially those with hurdles such as a language barrier, lack of education on a resume, etc. You know, things that thankfully many employers in our community overlook.

Offline Definitions2

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2024, 10:39:24 AM »
Becuase finding a higher paying job is always super easy and a walk in the park for anyone, especially those with hurdles such as a language barrier, lack of education on a resume, etc. You know, things that thankfully many employers in our community overlook.
I was waiting for someone to bring this up.
It is easier. Although not for a second job. If you're at that point then you should look to reduce expenses until you can get a better job.

Offline aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2024, 11:39:02 AM »

INcluding people who can't even get a job as an Uber driver and use an account with someone else's name.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline ari3

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2024, 12:44:38 AM »
So what is considered a reasonable tip? 15% or even 10% for a delivery driver doesn't seem right. How about on a $150 grocery order?

Offline HudZ

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Torah
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2024, 12:55:28 AM »
So what is considered a reasonable tip? 15% or even 10% for a delivery driver doesn't seem right. How about on a $150 grocery order?
Every case is different. You have to use your own judgement. I don't think reasonable has to do with factors of how high your grocery bill is... You can order 2 cases of water for let's say 10 dollars, a relatively cheap order, but the Shleping would be alot more than some gold bars you have ordered which is 2000 dollars... (Also, they don't know what's in the order necessarily or even the cost amount..)

What's reasonable? UYOJ cuz ECID
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline Mordyk

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Some of this and some of that.
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2024, 07:25:43 AM »
Why isn't it on Uber to pay them decently?  We pay uber a hefty fee, increased food prices as well, and then we need to tip their contracted employee because they underpay?

And the uber driver has a choice.  Work for uber at this price,  or don't. No need to tip.

P.s. I always tip,  I just think it's warped

Online jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2024, 07:50:56 AM »
Does Uber Eats pay the driver more on large orders?

Do they pay them more when you choose priority?
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2024, 08:38:37 AM »

I guess you'll have to ask @myi to go on a few more deliveries. ;)
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline UKinNYS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2024, 01:03:54 PM »
I started recently asking uber drivers how their work/pay is, after someone told me he does it.

from what I picked up, on a good day they make $40/ hour which is before any expenses (gas, tolls, insurance, w&t etc)

uber eats pays less than rides and many drivers avoid (I believe u can choose) so after expenses it's close to min. wage (or less on bad day)

Offline HudZ

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2024, 01:15:03 PM »
I started recently asking uber drivers how their work/pay is, after someone told me he does it.

from what I picked up, on a good day they make $40/ hour which is before any expenses (gas, tolls, insurance, w&t etc)

uber eats pays less than rides and many drivers avoid (I believe u can choose) so after expenses it's close to min. wage (or less on bad day)
Did you ask him re the tips?
אין עוד מלבדו

Offline UKinNYS

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2024, 01:17:13 PM »
$40/ hour is with tips - impression I get is they do rely on them to make it work.
Did you ask him re the tips?

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2024, 01:35:05 AM »

Yes you can. You can choose what rides and or if you want to do UE or just rides.

You are so bored
Thanks for the encouragement! Seems like I'll hold off on my other planned trial runs. Had in mind, DoorDash, grubhub,instacrt, W+, Amazon Prime, and as a UPS holiday season worker.
  But I'm glad I was able to entertain you for some time while you read my boooring post!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 01:42:15 AM by myi »
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501

Offline yfr bachur

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2024, 03:03:15 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement! Seems like I'll hold off on my other planned trial runs. Had in mind, DoorDash, grubhub,instacrt, W+, Amazon Prime, and as a UPS holiday season worker.
  But I'm glad I was able to entertain you for some time while you read my boooring post!

Shoot.
I was eagerly awaiting episode two...

Online yitzgar

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2024, 08:42:16 AM »
Yes you can. You can choose what rides and or if you want to do UE or just rides.

Offline Yo ssi

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2024, 12:31:37 AM »
Mivtzoim tactic 2.0
_    ,
' )  /
 /  / __   _   _   o
(__/_(_)  /_)_/_)_<_
 //
(/

Offline myi

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 356
    • View Profile
  • Programs: 2Many2List!
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2024, 03:17:32 AM »
Shoot.
I was eagerly awaiting episode two...
Honestly, I'm thinking to reconsider..  I myself need to restock on some items from Costco. So I may as well join Instacart for the day and see what it's like to be an Instacart worker. And get paid to go shopping. Debate is whether to except my own order or some random order that comes in. I think the later would be more fun.. though won't be fun pushing a cart around costco with some ham and some other treif food! I'll just have to mark oos for all those items! Lol.
    Was always curious how they utilize my membership and what they use to pay for the orders? Their own card? Companies card? I guess, by joining the Instacart team for the day I'll be able to answer all my questions!   And the best part being able to shop using someone else's membership!  Booya Costco! ;)
Need your LG Exalt fixed? Cracked in half? Water damage? Or parts to repair yourself. 347.201.2501