Topic Wiki

Best first time smoked ribs/brisket recipe: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/spice-rubs-and-pastes/big-bad-beef-rub-recipe

Chickens taste better when cooked whole. Pickles taste better cut. Sandwiches taste better cut and bitten from inside. Meat tastes better sliced against grain.

Definitely a smoker is a personal choice, and what is better depends on what you are looking for.  I say it's a balance of goals, between: (i) making good food, (ii) making authentic BBQ, (iii) having fun with the maaseh of smoking, and (iv) convenience.  Items (iii) and (iv) don't only conflict, they directly oppose each other.

I opted for items (i) and (iv) so went PBC.  I would say WSM is also mostly a (i) and (iv) choice, but it brings in extra elements of (ii) and (iii), at a slight cost to (iv).  Maybe WSM also better at (i)--I have no idea either way.

Further to the above:

If all you want is good food, get a sous vide.

If all you want is authentic BBQ, get a huge offset smoker that you feed with split logs.

If all you want is having fun with the maaseh of smoking, again, get a huge offset smoker.

If all you want is convenience, use your oven.

Henche's PBC review
https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=43018.msg1439199#msg1439199
« Last edited by jj1000 on June 04, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »

DansDeals Forum > General Discussion

Smoking Meats

(1/441) > >>

ushdadude:
So I got inspired at the Long Island kosher bbq competition and bought myself a charcoal kettle grill to start learning how to smoke meats. Anyone have any tip and tricks to share?

ushdadude:
  I guess I can start off with my first experience.
 I bought a 2 pound "mini-brisket" which probably wasn't actually a brisket (no fat cap) I started the coals going in a coal chimney filled 3/4 the way up. I should have started this process earlier because that shot the temperature of the grill to about 450 and it took a good 45 minutes to bring it down to 250. I put some hickory chips to get a nice smoke. Another mistake I made was not soaking the chips so they caught fire and raised the temperature again. I didn’t marinade the meat because I wanted the rub flavor to come through without competing. After a few hours I hit the “stall”.” I thought I can push through it but after a couple of more hours of no temperature rise, I gave in and wrapped the meat. That brought the temp up to 180 pretty quickly. Overall the meat tasted awesome, with a nice smoke ring, but it was a little more tough, probably because I should have wrapped it right when I hit the stall at 140.
Overall not a bad first experience. A lot of little lessons learned.

ushdadude:
I went to a tzedakka event that hosted the "Wandering-Qs" (formerly Hakadosh-BBQ) and they are awesome!

Perfectly smoked brisket, pulled brisket sliders, smoked turkey legs, etc...Amazing!

Super Speed:
@ushdadude are only you able to post in this thread or other people as well? :D
ETA: I guess other people as well ;)

Sport:

--- Quote from: ushdadude on August 07, 2014, 09:25:16 AM ---I went to a tzedakka event that hosted the "Wandering-Qs" (formerly Hakadosh-BBQ) and they are awesome!

Perfectly smoked brisket, pulled brisket sliders, smoked turkey legs, etc...Amazing!

--- End quote ---
Was that at Fleishfest? I really wanted to make It there but was traveling yesterday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version