Topic Wiki

Shenzhen borders Hong Kong and is a great city to visit for a day or two. Massages here are cheap and awesome and so are the hotels. Getting to Shenzhen from HK is easy and quick. If you are visiting HK and have a Chinese visa, you should  stop by.

We don't agree with CNN Travel that Hong Kong is the best city in the world. But Shenzhen? After all Shenzhen is just another mainland city that can never get its English signs right and whose traffic becomes a nightmare everyday from 4:30 to 8. But don't come too soon to conclusions--Shenzhen's unique vibrancy is one that you could only see with your own eyes. As soon as you step off the plane you'll be able to breathe in the happy vibe that's beaming off the grandiose airport ceiling. So let the city speak for itself—here are the reasons why Shenzhen is the city you regret you didn't fall in love with earlier.

One perk of living in Shenzhen is that it's easy to escape from it. I know it sounds absurd, but think of it as the perfect girlfriend who gives you maximum freedom to hang out with your buddies. Hong Kong is within reach of a few train stations, a trip to Guangzhou takes an hour on the luxurious express train, and the paradise-like Yangshuo is one night's bus ride away. Better still we have international flights from 5 nearby airports to Thailand, Philippines and more, that means you can be on a tropical beach in a matter of seconds.

14. Beauty and Spas:

If you're thinking of a luxurious spa in a five-star hotel, you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Shenzhen's service industry caters to people at all economic backgrounds. An all day or even all night spa experiences awaits you at one of the many Chinese Day Spas, where you can start in the main room with a head massage and then head for a body massage, after come back and find a chair to eat fruit and drink Ice Tea while having a foot massage. Clean, affordable massage houses and nail salons scattered in sundry corners of the city. Chinese-style acupuncture and traditional treatment clinics are also found by the handful. The only place in China where you must tip, also beware of the "unkosher massage parlors"

Shenzhen Louhu Shopping Mall, Hong Kong Broder Crossing, Shenzhen Louhu Train Station & Shenzhen Shangrila Hotel are all in 1 Square. Click Here for Pictures

16. Shopping Paradise:

There's a good mix of shopping options here in the city. When I say good I mean exceptional. Style mavens marvel at the grand display windows and countless swanky boutiques in MixC mall, while folks who need to pinch pennies go for Dongmen and Huaqiangbei, where shopping is turned into a game because you can bargain with small shop owners. Luohu Commercial City is known for selling rip-off handbags and is popular among people in Hong Kong. For any small random object you need, the wholesale market is the place to go. Probably the best place in the world to buy knockoffs but beware of scammers and know your prices!!! You will usually get price quotes 10X the actual price!!

32. Tourist Friendly:

"Shenzhen is a very friendly city for tourists, considering the Shenzhen metro is one of the easiest to navigate in the world. Metro and buses all have announcements in Mandarin, Cantonese, and English" says Jen Murray, who fell in love with the city almost immediately when she arrived here. It's impossible to get lost in the city: the distinctive architectural styles of our major cityscapes in our three major districts are landmarks of each district. Residential options are plentiful ranging from five-star hotels to youth hostels. You can also consider couch surfing if need be, since there's an active couch surfing community in the city.

34. OCT Loft:

This warehouse-turned artistic haven away from the chaos of the city is an inspirational place for artists and whimsical wanderers to roam and chew on any strands of thoughts. The vibrant mural pop art, the outlandish steel sculptures, and hip cafes and bars set the overall artsy atmosphere of the place. When you walk deeper into the maze, you'll find concert venue B10, which regularly hosts concerts by domestic and international indie musicians, and OCAT, one of the nation's major non-profit contemporary art museums, and movie screenings that show artistic foreign films and documentaries. A few visits here and this place will be your favorite hide-away in the entire city.

38. Proximity to Hong Kong:

Shenzhen would not be Shenzhen if we didn't have immediate influences from Hong Kong. In the early years Hong Kong facilitated Shenzhen's economy with trade, finance and investment. Hong Kong's democratic political structure also influenced Shenzhen a great deal. Now the two cities benefit mutually from economic and cultural collaboration, and the habitants in Shenzhen benefit from being only a metro ride away from an amazing shopping site, vacation venue, and city with a great richness of culture.

Largest Golf Course in the World:

Mission Hill golf complex was built on a large wasteland between Shenzhen and Dongguan, it is now the largest golf complex in the world. The twelve course 18-hole course golf resort has hosted multiple world-significant golf tournaments since its establishment, including the 41st World Cup of Golf in 1995.
http://www.shenzhenparty.com/50-reasons-why-shenzhen-worlds-best-city

Hotels
St. Regis: Tallest SPG hotel in the world. 75th floor infinity pool, iPad for room control, 96th floor lobby, 100th floor bar and it is still quite new. SPG Plats can often upgrade to the duplex suites which are STUNNING. ($300)
Grand Hyatt: China's flagship Hyatt hotel, very new, great ambiance, great service and  big rooms. I think this might be one of the best Grand Hyatt's in the world. 12,000 points or Chabad has a deal for 1200 RMB ($200).
Hyatt Place: Simple, just like any other Hyatt Place, great location and 15 minute walk to Chabad Luohu. 5000 points or $100
All of those hotels are very close to Chabad Louhu. Chabad Luohu has the young single crowd while Chabad Shekou has the family crowd.
Hilton: BRAND NEW, amazing design, great price. Good hotel from people who want the Hilton brand near Chabad Shekou. ($200)
Ritz-Carlton: Highest rated on TA, great rates with corp codes. (No Chabad)

Chabad Luohu has a small restaurant ($25 a meal) and Chabad Shekou delivers food.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Author Topic: Shenzhen China Master Thread  (Read 10730 times)

Offline EMCC

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum
Shenzhen China Master Thread
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:22:25 AM »
I love Shenzhen.
"Disclaimer: I don't believe everything I write."  - ChaimMoskowitz

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Shenzhen China Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
Anyone have experience with Shenzhen for Shabbos? Or am I much better off going back to HK for Shabbos?
I have to be in and around Shenzhen both before and after Shabbos...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 05:23:36 PM by sr »

Offline Emkay

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
Anyone have experience with Shenzhen for Shabbos? Or am I much better off going back to HK for Shabbos?
Paging @emcc

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 05:28:17 PM »
Paging @emcc
Send me a link next time.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 02:56:57 PM »
@EMCC have you ever spent shabbos in Shenzhen? I have to be there before and after and not sure if it's worth travelling back and forth to KZ in HK for Shabbos? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 08:44:38 PM »
@EMCC have you ever spent shabbos in Shenzhen? I have to be there before and after and not sure if it's worth travelling back and forth to KZ in HK for Shabbos? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Stay in Shenzhen. Definitely not worth schlepping back and forth.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
Thank you! What about Shenzhen vs Guangzhou?
In Shenzhen; Shekou vs Lohu?
I've spent shabbos in Guangzhou a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, but Shenzhen sounds like it might be fine too... Any thoughts on the hotel options for shabbos near your recommended Shenzhen chabad location?
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 12:42:45 AM »
Thank you! What about Shenzhen vs Guangzhou?
In Shenzhen; Shekou vs Lohu?
I've spent shabbos in Guangzhou a few years ago and it wasn't too bad, but Shenzhen sounds like it might be fine too... Any thoughts on the hotel options for shabbos near your recommended Shenzhen chabad location?
Thanks again, I really appreciate your help!
Shenzhen louhu. Grand Hyatt or St Regis if it is within your budget pm me for more info.

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »
Hows the restaurant at the Chabad? Or am I better off stopping in Kowloon for dinner first?
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline jojo-nj

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
Chabad Shenzhen not really a restaurant. Kowloon (by the sfardim) is more like restaurant.

Offline chucksterace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 40
    • View Profile
    • LYNX IT Consulting
  • Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Premier 1K; ; LY Plat; Hyatt Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Avis President's Club
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 08:51:05 AM »

Chabad Shenzhen not really a restaurant. Kowloon (by the sfardim) is more like restaurant.
Gotchya. Thanks
You may not hold me responsible for any actions taken that were recommended from my account or username.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
If you need a nice restaurant with a menu then stop in Kowloon. If you are just looking for food, I found the food in Shenzhen (lohu) to be good. Personally, I've never been overly impressed with the food in Kowloon, but the ambiance is certainly nicer and there is a bigger menu.
If you do go to chabad Shenzhen, you need to email/text for reservation... Info on their website.
Hows the restaurant at the Chabad? Or am I better off stopping in Kowloon for dinner first?

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 10:18:48 AM »
If you need a nice restaurant with a menu then stop in Kowloon. If you are just looking for food, I found the food in Shenzhen (lohu) to be good. Personally, I've never been overly impressed with the food in Kowloon, but the ambiance is certainly nicer and there is a bigger menu.
If you do go to chabad Shenzhen, you need to email/text for reservation... Info on their website.
+1. The Chabad in Luohu shenzhen does have a sitting area and decent food, but a weak atmosphere. You do not NEED to make a reservation, it is preferred. If you how up during weekday dinner hours they will serve you.

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »
@sr, can you share a mini trip report? You can talk about me, even if it is negative, I just want to hear what a DDFer thinks about the shenzhen experience.

Offline sr

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »
@sr, can you share a mini trip report? You can talk about me, even if it is negative, I just want to hear what a DDFer thinks about the shenzhen experience.
Thanks for putting me on the spot like that! ;)
I'm not much of a writer, I'll try and put something together in a bit...
Quick Tip: if you are heading to Shenzhen, PM @EMCC and meet up with him, he'll show you around!

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2015, 10:52:17 AM »
Does EMCC live in shenzhen?

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »
Does EMCC live in shenzhen?
EMCC does.

Offline Tzadik Nistar

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 11:26:16 AM »
EMCC does.
Nice, if I would've know I may have come by last week for a DO

Offline EMCC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 11:27:40 AM »
Nice, if I would've know I may have come by last week for a DO
Next time....

Online nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2017, 01:25:20 AM »
Next time....
Is this offer still on the table?any advice you can give for a one day literary will be coming in from HK iyh next Sunday 3/5
Quick Tip: if you are heading to Shenzhen, PM @EMCC and meet up with him, he'll show you around!
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.