Topic Wiki

Purchases That Work For Amex Platinum Travel Credit

The Business Platinum CardŽ (OUTDATED INFO)
Welcome Offer1
As a special offer you can get Earn 50,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Platinum CardŽ from American Express within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Your application must be approved by January 25, 2017 to be eligible for this offer.

A Premium Business Card2
There are more than 40 Business Platinum CardŽ benefits, including world-class platinum service, travel benefits, rewards that can help reduce expenses and access to one-of-a-kind events.

Best Retention Offers
-Consumer Card: 50k No Spend Required, Called 7 Days before Due Date of Annual Fee
-Business Card:   

To sign up:

Consumer: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/Platinum5/
Business: http://www.dansdeals.com/go/BusinessPlat5/

« Last edited by yuneeq on January 11, 2022, 08:35:34 PM »

Author Topic: Amex Platinum Master Thread  (Read 1717182 times)

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Re: Amex Plat Questions
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2011, 01:32:56 AM »
My bro-in-law got approved for the Amex Plat, spent $1000 and paid it plus the $450 annual fee.  He then got FR'ed and shut down (he got his 50K MR points so he's ok with that).  But they are refusing to refund his $450, saying since they cancelled his a/c they aren't required to. 

Any advice?

Thanx.

WTH? That's adding insult to injury.

File a complaint with the BBB, the FTC, the Federal Reserve and whoever else you can...
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2011, 01:39:21 AM »
well, chase doesn't prorate anual fees. amex prorates the fees if u cancel, but here u didn't cancel...
that sucks. good luck!
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2011, 01:40:04 AM »
My bro-in-law got approved for the Amex Plat, spent $1000 and paid it plus the $450 annual fee.  He then got FR'ed and shut down (he got his 50K MR points so he's ok with that).  But they are refusing to refund his $450, saying since they cancelled his a/c they aren't required to. 

Any advice?

Thanx.
Keep calling until you find a reasonable rep.
Then email your attorney general.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2011, 01:46:54 AM »
Then email your attorney general.

Ah, I knew I was missing someone on my list:
File a complaint with the BBB, the FTC, the Federal Reserve and whoever else you can...

:D
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline ?

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
Can anyone confirm this? Someone told me that amex is uptight abt there points and only let them through once your 1000 is PAID not spent. Is this true or hogwash? Also if its true would it help to pay it right away b4 the month is over?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »
Can anyone confirm this? Someone told me that amex is uptight abt there points and only let them through once your 1000 is PAID not spent. Is this true or hogwash? Also if its true would it help to pay it right away b4 the month is over?
That's true, but AMEX let's you borrow points (up to 60K I believe) so you can transfer now if you want.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »
WTH? That's adding insult to injury.

Any advice?

Thanx.

Small Claims court.

Offline Devorah

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2011, 11:39:34 AM »

Any advice?

Thanx.

Spoke with another rep who said it should get credited back on the next statement.  Hope he knows what he's talking about.  I asked him to note the account.

Offline Yordai Dooma

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA EXP/LT Platinum, SPG gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National EE,
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
@ ?-

I got my 50k from amex after I "spent" 1k on the plat and before I "paid" them. Just my experience...

Offline Aben

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »
@ ?-

I got my 50k from amex after I "spent" 1k on the plat and before I "paid" them. Just my experience...
Me too

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2011, 01:24:07 PM »
If I buy a ticket on UA or CO for that matter but the flight is a codeshare with Air Canada for example, will the Amex Plat still afford me lounge access when not flying specifically on UA or CO for one of the flights?

What about getting the baggage fees credited under the $200 credit?

Thanks!

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
Small Claims court.

Worth the hassle for $450? (I've never done it, so I don't know how much (or little) of a hassle it is).

I didn't. YMMV perhaps?

Offline Yellow

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 gold, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2011, 08:21:46 PM »
I didn't. YMMV perhaps?
yep, YMMV. once i got my bonus points really fast, but for this AMEX plat, points didnt post yet and i already paid my bill a while ago (not worried though, because i called and they said the 50k was on the way). my next closing date is jan. 24th and i believe thats when mine will arrive

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2011, 08:53:03 PM »
Worth the hassle for $450? (I've never done it, so I don't know how much (or little) of a hassle it is).

Well, perhaps more of a hassle then BBB, the FTC, the Federal Reserve etc, but also much more likely (like 99.99%) that you'll get your money back. I suppose it depends how badly you want the $450 back.

For those that don't know, you can file online (for a $14 or so fee) with turbocourt.com or ncourts.com.

PS, I also have very little experience filling with SCC, but enough experience to know it works. Long ago I had a case with AT&T. I received a call from the "Office of the President" and they settled the whole thing without me having to go to court.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 10:15:40 PM by Avid Reader »

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:20 PM »
For those that don't know, you can file online (for a $14 or so fee) with turbocourt.com or ncourts.com.

You can file for $14 without having to go to court?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2011, 10:14:34 PM »
You can file for $14 without having to go to court?

The $14 fee is in addition to the court filing fee ($15 in NYC for claims under $1000, etc).

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2011, 10:32:59 PM »
The $14 fee is in addition to the court filing fee ($15 in NYC for claims under $1000, etc).

Still, so long as you don't actually appear you can raise the heat on a company.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2011, 10:51:21 PM »
Still, so long as you don't actually appear you can raise the heat on a company.

Yup, you don't have to go down to court until the court date, and since they don't like being called to court very much, they sometimes settle it before the date and you never end up going down. Either way it's a good way to get companies to cooperate.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2011, 11:07:29 PM »
Yup, you don't have to go down to court until the court date, and since they don't like being called to court very much, they sometimes settle it before the date and you never end up going down. Either way it's a good way to get companies to cooperate.

Will it be beneficial to sue a mom -and-pop from across the US in NY if I think I can prove they owe me $3,000?

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2011, 01:51:18 AM »
Will it be beneficial to sue a mom -and-pop from across the US in NY if I think I can prove they owe me $3,000?

You cant. For Small claims they have to have a place of biz in NYC (or NYS, I forget)