Author Topic: Project Management Software  (Read 20162 times)

Online gozalim

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Project Management Software
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 07:46:20 AM »
Do you use trello? Looking into it now. looks like it might fit what i need. Can i control who sees individual cards in a board?
not sure. We've only divided by board.

Offline elit

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:18 AM »
After playing around with a few of these programs i realized I'm looking for something a lot simpler. All i need is a program where i can have lists of tasks and different people can see different lists and when the task had been completed. I also need the ability for an administrator to see all the lists, assign tasks and control who sees which lists. Perhaps i just need to learn how to utilize outlook better? Anyone have any ideas?

Online etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
After playing around with a few of these programs i realized I'm looking for something a lot simpler. All i need is a program where i can have lists of tasks and different people can see different lists and when the task had been completed. I also need the ability for an administrator to see all the lists, assign tasks and control who sees which lists. Perhaps i just need to learn how to utilize outlook better? Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe wunderlist?
Each person has their own account, with their own set of lists. You can share lists between accounts, so you can have the admin be shared on all lists, and move things around as they want.
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline ryg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
Asana is unbelievable and extremely adaptable. I am happy to help if you have any questions. I have implemented it in three large businesses/non profits and it is truly amazing.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 03:46:18 PM »
Asana is unbelievable and extremely adaptable. I am happy to help if you have any questions. I have implemented it in three large businesses/non profits and it is truly amazing.
Maybe we should have an Asana master thread?
Meanwhile, I sometimes get in my asana inbox "xx has unfollowed this tasks". What does that mean?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2015, 10:18:14 PM »
Has anyone used workflowy?  Seems to be pretty cool...

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
Has anyone used workflowy?  Seems to be pretty cool...
update: I love it! It's brilliant in its simplicity. PM me for a referral code that'll get you double the storage for the free plan :)

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2015, 11:08:55 PM »
update: I love it! It's brilliant in its simplicity. PM me for a referral code that'll get you double the storage for the free plan :)
Have you checked out Moo.do?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2015, 11:43:51 PM »
Have you checked out Moo.do?
Not yet, though it's on my list :)

I'm still ironing out the kinks in my workflowy setup.

At first glance moo.do looks similar to workflowy, but more complex. I like their GTD setup - one thing I miss in workflowy is having a dedicated Inbox. I set up one node as an inbox, but it's a pain to move things from it without endless scrolling.

I also miss having due dates. Most of my tasks are part of larger projects and/or don't have specific due dates, but for the few that due (read: credit card closing dates :) ), I'm still using Wunderlist. Which means I have to open 2 apps. Does moo.do do due dates?

If moo.do really gets a nice gmail integration, that would be a huge point in its favor.

Do you use moo.do? Do you like it?

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2015, 01:47:20 AM »
Not yet, though it's on my list :)

I'm still ironing out the kinks in my workflowy setup.

At first glance moo.do looks similar to workflowy, but more complex. I like their GTD setup - one thing I miss in workflowy is having a dedicated Inbox. I set up one node as an inbox, but it's a pain to move things from it without endless scrolling.

I also miss having due dates. Most of my tasks are part of larger projects and/or don't have specific due dates, but for the few that due (read: credit card closing dates :) ), I'm still using Wunderlist. Which means I have to open 2 apps. Does moo.do do due dates?

If moo.do really gets a nice gmail integration, that would be a huge point in its favor.

Do you use moo.do? Do you like it?
I just downloaded it, so i don't have any experience yet.
According to their website, they're working on Gmail integration.
It has dates, but I'm not sure about notifications.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »
I just downloaded it, so i don't have any experience yet.
According to their website, they're working on Gmail integration.
It has dates, but I'm not sure about notifications.
Have you used workflowy? I'm wondering how they compare

Offline AnonymousUser

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 12:11:46 PM »
Have you used workflowy? I'm wondering how they compare
Nope. I checked it out last night because I saw your signature, but then i read somewhere that Moo.do is the same plus more features, so I downloaded that instead. One thing I noticed right away was that you can import from Workflowy and Wunderlist.
Honestly, I don't think either one is for me. I'm not a fan of the open writing style of the app. I've been using Wunderlist recently, but I'd really like something that's closer to GTD. I downloaded Tasks, which is supposed to be a clone of Astrid, but I haven't played around with it yet.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »
Nope. I checked it out last night because I saw your signature, but then i read somewhere that Moo.do is the same plus more features, so I downloaded that instead. One thing I noticed right away was that you can import from Workflowy and Wunderlist.
Honestly, I don't think either one is for me. I'm not a fan of the open writing style of the app. I've been using Wunderlist recently, but I'd really like something that's closer to GTD. I downloaded Tasks, which is supposed to be a clone of Astrid, but I haven't played around with it yet.
This thread has some interesting info about workflowy vs moo.do: http://www.outlinersoftware.com/topics/viewt/5565/

I like workflowy because it's really fast, and easy to make and organize clean looking outlines for projects (or for anything really). There are a number of ways you could mark tasks (like with tags for GTD). Another tip I came across (when googling, of course!) is to mark any action item with a *, and then add more stars for higher priority items. So if you want to see your tasks, you search for *, if the list is too long you add another one (**), etc, to narrow down what's most important.

Searching is real time, which is very cool.

BTW there are tons of articles out there where people explain how they use Workflowy in a way that works for them.

Workflowy has a lot of features that you wouldn't know about just from looking at it. Lots of keyboard shortcuts, and much more. I gained a lot from watching the Help videos they provide. (They are short and to the point, and workflowy even remembers which ones you've seen already).

Another nice thing is that every couple of days they email you with a new tip or two to help you get really into it. They also have a blog where they publish tips, and also showcase different use cases / methods of organization.

Workflowy is very simple, and lets you mold your system to suit your needs. This is something I really like, as I'm tired of fighting with programs to get them to do what I want.

All that said, there are two things I miss from Wunderlist (which is my most recent ex-task/project manager):
1) A dedicated inbox, with an easy way to drag things from it to where I want them,
and 2) Due dates of some sort

You can use tags to simulate due dates (
Code: [Select]
#recurring #monday, or even
Code: [Select]
#1012 for October 12), but then you have to remember to check those tags :).
http://blog.workflowy.com/2015/03/06/a-useful-hack-for-repeated-tasks-in-workflowy/

Until Workflowy introduces these two features, I'm not totally 100% sold on it. And I'll probably be checking out moo.do at some point, to see if it works for me.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2015, 10:19:07 AM »
I am looking for a project management software which will work for a team of 2 or three people. I can either use a cloud based one or set up as a subdomain on my website. If anyone knows of a simple to use one which is free/cheap please let me know.

This is the way I would need to have it set up.

Each job has 4 steps-send for pricing, enter and compare pricing, close deal, enter into quickbooks. Some have due dates (especially renewals) some do not. I would need that once one step of a job is done it will automatically go to the next step so that we can view as a list of clients by which step they are at. I would want to be able to enter in a renewal date immediately upon their closing their original deal so that when it comes close to renewal it will automatically end up back at the top of the list.

Having a separate general todo list will be a help as help

If any of you know which one/s will work for this please let me know. Thanks!
Feelings don't care about your facts

Offline Feivish

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
I am looking for a project management software which will work for a team of 2 or three people. I can either use a cloud based one or set up as a subdomain on my website. If anyone knows of a simple to use one which is free/cheap please let me know.

Each job has 4 steps-send for pricing, enter and compare pricing, close deal, enter into quickbooks. Some have due dates (especially renewals) some do not. I would need that once one step of a job is done it will automatically go to the next step so that we can view as a list of clients by which step they are at. I would want to be able to enter in a renewal date immediately upon their closing their original deal so that when it comes close to renewal it will automatically end up back at the top of the list.

I suggest you take a look at Asana.

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2015, 11:54:27 AM »
I suggest you take a look at Asana.
Asana can handle Stages like that?

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »
Someone once recommended Insightly to me - it sounds like it might work for you
https://www.insightly.com/features/project-management/

If you end up trying it I'd love to hear how it goes!

Offline ryg

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2015, 12:21:03 PM »

Asana is the way to go. PM me for more help/consult.

Online aygart

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2015, 05:30:00 PM »
Thank you all for your help. It looks now like Trello has the best interface for us. Insightly only allows 2 users on the free plan and also limits items. Asana seems to not really be made to do what I need even though there are workarounds. We also like the way Trello shows as a list all of the items in each stage on one screen in a very intuitive way. Maybe the others can be customized to do the same but this does it well in by default and fulfills our needs.
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online etech0

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
Thank you all for your help. It looks now like Trello has the best interface for us. Insightly only allows 2 users on the free plan and also limits items. Asana seems to not really be made to do what I need even though there are workarounds. We also like the way Trello shows as a list all of the items in each stage on one screen in a very intuitive way. Maybe the others can be customized to do the same but this does it well in by default and fulfills our needs.
Glad you got it figured out!