Author Topic: Delta took my money and set an "expiration date" on the credit  (Read 2826 times)

Offline TravisMc

• DansDeals Copper Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
My ex and I purchased tickets for a trip in 2009.  Before travel, we had to cancel our trip.  Delta held the credit in the amount of $491.40 for my ticket as a "voucher".  They set an expiration date on the voucher, now expired.  In other words, I paid $491.40 in real money and they just get to keep it and I get nothing. 

In the state I live in - WA - it's against state law to issue "gift certificates" with expiry dates.  This is because "gift certificates" are paid by the customer with real dollars, unlike coupons.  If a company shuts down or wants to discharge the obligation, they are required to give the money to the state's "Unclaimed Property" fund where the owner (or heirs) may find it some time later. I don't understand why airlines get to operate above state law(obvious puns excluded).

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Delta took my money and set an "expiration date" on the credit
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 04:59:31 PM »
 1- Welcome to DD

2- DL didnt give you a gift cert it gave you an electronic check that was usuable only on DL, a big difference

3- you had 1 yr to use it or lose it, unfortunately had you come here or to FT sooner, you would have been told to find the cheapest 1 way tkt anywhere DL flys (eg LA-Vegas can be had for apx $39-49) and you would have received a new voucher for the differnce. Or U could have sold it for whatever amount to afriend that was purchasing a DL tkt

soory to tell you but there were a number of loopholes out there but they were only good as long as the voucher was still valid.thats what happens when you buy Anything that isnt Refundable = U dont get yur $$ back in yur pocket

Offline TravisMc

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
Sure - I get it.  This is "standard operating procedure" for Delta (or any other airline doing the same).  Still I think the conditions are ripe for a class action lawsuit.  It's just a matter of the right legal firm taking the matter on. 

I mean, state law where I live is state law.  Companies can't write a bunch of fancy loopholes or make up new words for the vouchers/GCs/whatever they issue customers and skirt this basic level of decency in commerce.  If they are allowed to, what's to stop them from imposing even more onerous restrictions - like expiry from 1 month of issue, not 1 year.  Etc.

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 06:40:21 PM »
Sure - I get it.  This is "standard operating procedure" for Delta (or any other airline doing the same).  Still I think the conditions are ripe for a class action lawsuit.  It's just a matter of the right legal firm taking the matter on. 

I mean, state law where I live is state law.  Companies can't write a bunch of fancy loopholes or make up new words for the vouchers/GCs/whatever they issue customers and skirt this basic level of decency in commerce.  If they are allowed to, what's to stop them from imposing even more onerous restrictions - like expiry from 1 month of issue, not 1 year.  Etc.

well I take it you arent a lawyer and if you are you dont practice in the Class Actions field, since if you did you would have known its a non-starter that will go no where

as for the terms, I guess you simply dont understand , a NON-REFUNDABLE tkt is just that and by law DL didnt even have to offer you a voucher! once you clicked Purchase you kissed yur $$ away for good and by clicking Purchase you agreed to everything that is  in the T&Cs , oh you didnt read them (who does) but they are there and thats why you or anyone else is a case of SOL and wouldnt stand up in court.

BTW why didnt you dispute the charges with your credit card issuer, a good thing you didnt as they probably would have still been laughing till today

sorry friend you werent Taken for a ride (Ok maybe by your X) its your fault if you didnt read all the T&Cs and fully understand after all I cant remember anything in the Travel Industry  when a non-refundable item is at hand they didnt say eg by clicking the 'Purchase' button you acknowledge having read and fully understand the T&Cs of the contract you are entering into

sorry but the only place to put the balme is on yourself

FWIW I dont care for DL at all, but when they are Right they are Right

Offline MisterHock

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 05:12:18 PM »
Is there anyway to get Delta to reissue a $200 travel voucher that expired earlier this week?

Totally forgot that I had this voucher...

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 12:54:41 AM »
I have a ticket that was booked on delta and they made a change to the itinerary by 1 minute?
i would now like to change the date ? is there any advice out there ?

Offline coralsnake

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 12:59:37 AM »
I have a ticket that was booked on delta and they made a change to the itinerary by 1 minute?
i would now like to change the date ? is there any advice out there ?
Can be done. Get ready to HUCA though.
"Here at DansDeals we don’t do buses." -Dan

Offline Knak Yankel

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite,
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 05:16:21 PM »
I had a ticket to fly to Eretz Yisreal for Rosh Hashuna, i missed the flight so Delta gaved me a voucher for that amount that voucherexpires march 1st.

Now I want to book a new ticket for next Rosh Hashuna with that credit, they don't want because its after the expiration date.

any idea what i can do?

Offline nafnaf12

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »

3- you had 1 yr to use it or lose it, unfortunately had you come here or to FT sooner, you would have been told to find the cheapest 1 way tkt anywhere DL flys (eg LA-Vegas can be had for apx $39-49) and you would have received a new voucher for the differnce.
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

Offline Knak Yankel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite,
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 10:26:54 PM »
is this confirmed to be working?

Offline dealsrus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 01:48:35 PM »
Have a Delta voucher expiring at the end of the year (I believe needs to be used by the person whose name is on it) what is the best way not to keep it?

Offline Aviw

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 9
    • View Profile