Author Topic: Something Fishy's Maui and Lanai Trip Report, Courtesy of Delta  (Read 112729 times)

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
Re: Something Fishy's Maui and Lanai Trip Report, Courtesy of Delta
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2015, 12:55:10 AM »
Great report.  Did you consider overnightning in LNY at all?

No, it wouldn't have made sense with our schedule. But I would definitely recommend more than one day there if possible. I would have loved to hike the Munro Trail, and gone to the Garden of the Gods. Not to mention that I would've sat by Shipwreck all day if I had the time.

No point in doing LNY with kids though IMO... It will not be relaxing at all.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:37 PM »
Awesome TR. Love the pics.
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline Ephraimh

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
When your toast gets burned in the toaster-oven cuz you were in middle of reading a TR and forgot to turn off the toaster... you know it wasn't a waste of time (and bread) to read it...

Great TR, as always!

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2015, 05:42:50 PM »
Day 5, Thursday:

We had barely fallen asleep after our long day on Lanai when our alarm went off. It was 3:30 in the morning, and we were heading to watch sunrise from the summit of Haleakala.

Sunrise was scheduled for 6:04, and we were hoping to get there around an hour earlier. Since we were staying in Kula, our ride up would be an hour shorter that most other people's. The road up is great, well paved and marked. There are no lights, so you don't really get a sense of how high up you are or how close you are to a ravine. Even at this crazy hour there were lots of cars sharing the road with us.

On the way up it's really cool to watch the outside temperature display if your car has one - every minute or so it would move down a degree. We lost almost 30 degrees on the way up, and that was even considering that we started from 3000' up. 

We got to the upper parking lot with plenty of time to spare, and were greeted by a madhouse. Dozens of cars, lines of buses, and hundreds upon hundreds of people, all trying to get a spot at the tiny little overlook. On top of that it was freezing cold, with a ferocious wind blowing. We had brought along coats, gloves, hats, and even a blanket,but with all that it was still bitterly cold.

We headed up the path to the lookout, and right away decided that it's not worth it - the place was absolutely mobbed. Instead we got back in the car and drove down to the lower parking lot, which is about 250' lower down and generally far less crowded. This lot was also quite full, as was the lookout. However, here I had an ace up my sleeve - I knew of a relatively unknown spot called White Hill, the path of which is right off the parking lot. We hightailed it up there, as the sky had begun getting brighter. It's not a long hike - maybe 10 minutes or so, but it gains about 150' of elevation. Due to the altitude, we were extremely winded, not to mention numb with cold.

The trail wraps around the little rise:

When we got to the top however, we saw that it was absolutely worth it. It's a little open area maybe 10 feet wide, sheltered from the wind a bit by outcroppings on both sides. The spot looks out onto a smashing view of the crater, a thousand feet straight down. On the horizon was a wall of cloud, the sky just starting to show deep twilight colors. Best of all, we had all this to ourselves :D.

First light:

You could see the sheltering outcropping, but even with coats and a blanket it was still freezing:

Finally the sun broke through the clouds. In a couple of seconds the entire crater lit up in glorious golden light, showcasing its immense scale:

Here you could see the Sliding Sands Trail on the right, which leads into the crater. On top of the trail you could make out the immense volcanoes of the Big Island in the distance - Meuan Kea on the left, and Meuna Loa on the right:

As the sun rose it bathed the scene in front of us in a kaleidoscope of colors. Every minute the color and feel of the light changes, giving different feelings to different parts of the scene. The crater itself is packed with otherworldly formations, catching and reflecting the light:

This hardy little silversword was right in front of me, a thousand feet down:

As the sun climbed higher the wonderful sunrise color started to fade and be replaced with a morning haze.

A closer look at the Big Island's peaks:

You could just about make out the telescopes atop Mauna Kea through the haze:

Another view of the crater:

Warning sign at White Hill:

Heading back down to the parking lot you have a fantastic view of the Haleakala telescopes:

And of course the obligatory shot of the parking lot above the clouds:

After sunrise we went back up to the upper parking lot to warm up a bit and decide what we want to do next. The original plan was to do part of the Sliding Sands trail, but at this point we were frozen solid and still quite tired. The idea of a difficult hike didn't sound very appealing, so we decided to skip it. Instead we just walked around at the summit and checked out the silverswords (actually it was just me; my wife was a popsicle and refused to leave the warm car :D).

The Hawaiian Silversword is a beautiful plant that grows only in one place in the world: the summit of Haleakala. It lives for 50 years as a ball of sharp sword-like leaves, then flowers once and dies. There are a few scattered around the summit and crater, but the vast majority of them live in a protected area in the upper parking lot (vast majority in this case meaning maybe 50 or so).

They truly are majestic plants. You feel a kind of respect standing in front of a flowering silversword knowing that this is the only time this rare and lovely plant will look like this in its lifetime:

A Chukar Partridge among the silverswords:

All too soon it was time to head back down.

Sign at the entrance to the parking lot:

The way down in the morning is spectacular in its own right. You're driving above the clouds, with all of Maui spread out below you. Occasionally you catch a glimpse of the islands of Lanai, Kahoolawe, or Molokini. The terrain looks like a lunar landscape, slowly giving way to low shrubs and finally, thick forest.

One of the common activities on the mountain is biking all the way down. The internet is full of debates whether this is worthwhile or not; on the one hand it's definitely a lot of fun, but on the other there's no doubt that it's dangerous - deaths are not uncommon. One thing is certain: this is one thing I will not be doing, ever.

On the way down we found the road blocked, and this sight met our eyes:

You guessed it - a biker. I haven't been able to determine the outcome, but the firefighter I spoke to would only say that it was extremely serious. And unfortunately, these accidents are fairly common.

The entrance to the park:

There's no question that sunrise from the summit is a must-see; it's an amazing experience (if you could stand the cold :P). But the experience could be totally ruined if you have to share it with hundreds of tourists packed onto a tiny observation deck. In the beginning I was sure that the morning is a bust; it wasn't until I got to the lonely summit of White Hill when I started to enjoy the experience. Even considering that we did eventually get a group of about five people to share the spot, they were presumably escaping the crowds as well and were great company - just watching the amazing show in silent awe.

We then headed back home for breakfast and a good long nap, and then it was time to get ready for a two day Shabbos. I also went to our hostess, Anne, and explained the exact situation to her, since I knew that chances are that we'll need her assistance at some point. She was absolutely fascinated by the entire concept. She said she wished all her tenants would do something similar, as all too often she sees them run around constantly without stopping to appreciate a slower pace of life.

Of course as soon as my wife lit candles I saw that we had forgotten to unscrew the bulb in the fridge ;D... Thankfully Anne came to the rescue.

We then got settled in for the longest and most relaxing Shabbos of our lives.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:30:57 PM by Something Fishy »

Offline DMYD

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2015, 06:23:26 PM »
Omg I'm sorry but some of the pictures don't look real!!! You make it look to good!

Offline skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2015, 06:32:44 PM »

Where were you standing/facing for this one? I can't visualize it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2015, 06:45:40 PM »
Pics are just amazing.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
It's crazy how a description of just one activity could be so fascinating when you throw your pictures in. Thanks for taking the time!

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2015, 07:00:57 PM »
Wow, just wow!! מה רבו מעשיך ד׳

Offline smart brit

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:30 PM »
Unreal pictures!

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:02 PM »
Stunning!!

I actually thought the TR was over ;) how many days is still coming?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
I was thinking about going with my 3 and 5 year old to sunrise (we'll be jet lagged anyways). Based on your report it doesn't seem like a great idea. Thoughts?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
Omg I'm sorry but some of the pictures don't look real!!! You make it look to good!
Maybe we should start a petition asking him to tell us which cameras, lenses, and modes, he uses for his pictures. Showing the picture and not telling how to capture them makes me sick of jealousy...

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2015, 08:40:08 PM »
I was thinking about going with my 3 and 5 year old to sunrise (we'll be jet lagged anyways). Based on your report it doesn't seem like a great idea. Thoughts?
Unless you're bringing winter clothes it's not practical for kids.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
Maybe we should start a petition asking him to tell us which cameras, lenses, and modes, he uses for his pictures. Showing the picture and not telling how to capture them makes me sick of jealousy...
Maybe someone should make a photo hosting site that automatically posts the image exif data with all that information you're looking for, and Something Fishy should host his pictures there.
-oh, wait, never mind....

Offline VacationLover

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 08, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »
Maybe someone should make a photo hosting site that automatically posts the image exif data with all that information you're looking for, and Something Fishy should host his pictures there.
Brainstorm!! Thanks. Didn't realize Flicker offers that... oh wait a minute...never mind...

Offline Yehoshua

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2015, 09:18:51 PM »
Wow, SF. that was really amazing! Your pictures are 1000x nicer than mine, which is totally awesome (I'm not anywhere near professional) and the descriptions that go along with them are really eloquent as well. Great job! Can't wait to hear about shabbos.

Offline JayR

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »
Who cares about the Grammy's when you have a TR with pics like these ;D.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:39:11 PM by JayR »
You can modify your original post. The modify button is right next to the quote button.

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #138 on: February 08, 2015, 11:58:28 PM »
Thanks everyone :).

Stunning!!

I actually thought the TR was over ;) how many days is still coming?

Four. Two days Shabbos and two days on the Road to Hana.

Unless you're bringing winter clothes it's not practical for kids.

I agree. They'll be cold, tired, and miserable.

LOL

Offline Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2015, 12:04:19 AM »

Where were you standing/facing for this one? I can't visualize it.

The same spot on White Hill. It's a closer view of the left side of this picture (the hill is partially obscured by clouds):

Here you could see the Sliding Sands Trail on the right, which leads into the crater. On top of the trail you could make out the immense volcanoes of the Big Island in the distance - Meuan Kea on the left, and Meuna Loa on the right: