Author Topic: Private Pilot's License  (Read 47651 times)

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Private Pilot's License
« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2015, 06:48:28 PM »
Yes very true, make sure you have all the money ready to go. The last thing you want is to be at your solo stage and run out of money. It has happened to many including myself, BH the owner of the flight school was a very very kind person and he let me to continue flying until I got my license.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
Yes very true, make sure you have all the money ready to go. The last thing you want is to be at your solo stage and run out of money. It has happened to many including myself, BH the owner of the flight school was a very very kind person and he let me to continue flying until I got my license.
WOW that's really nice of him...

Offline MeirS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2015, 07:26:21 PM »
Thanks for joining!
+1
(Though I got that statistic from a flyer for a company that does financing for flight schools so you might take it with a grain of salt).

What kind of companys do financing for flight school?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2015, 07:32:46 PM »
+1

There's one I know of:

http://www.pilotfinance.com/

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2015, 07:45:39 PM »

Very true, this is why I recommended the ground school first. I try to get students to pass the written test first this way they could dedicate all their effort into flying. When you start simultaneously the flying tend to get ahead of the book knowledge, and it drags things along.
While I think this is a totally valid approach, I am not sure it is the best for everyone. Some people learn best when they have information to supplement the practical and practical to supplement the information. When I was learning how to drive stickshift, I first tried to drive and did not get it at all. Then I read about how manual transmission works (which I wouldn't have understood had I not tried to drive beforehand) and then, when I tried driving again, I was way better at it. In my opinion, I needed to kind of learn and do at the same time.
When I was learning how to fly, I did an hour of ground and then an hour of flight at the beginning. Besides for helping me learn better, I think this gave me the excitement I needed to keep going. I think I would have dropped out of the ground at a certain point had I not had the opportunity to apply the knowledge to what I considered to be the whole reason I wanted to be a pilot - FLYING! For most people who want to be pilots, the ground school is the necessary, but mainly tedious stuff you have to do to get to where you want to go. That is not to say that ground school is unimportant (it could be the difference between life and c"v death) but I don't think people get tons of excitement from the ground school especially when they are working on their primary.
Something else to consider is that once you take your written test, you only have 24 months to get your license. While this could be a "push" for people who would otherwise dilly-dally, for some people it is just a limit on the realities of their time constraints. For me, I only had summers to do my training and because of that, I almost missed the 24 month deadline (I took my written at the end of Summer #1 (with 29.9 hours), almost finished training by the end of Summer #2 (had very little time that summer) and finally got my license at the end of Summer #3 (went to my test with 47 hours)).
Finally, if you learn the ground school stuff and then take your written, it is likely that you will forget a lot of information by the time you get to your oral. Of course, a good pilot is always studying and learning, but practically speaking, the reality is that you will need to do a considerable amount of brushing up and studying before your oral if the last time you really cracked open a book was 2 years ago (or even 40 flight hours ago since your brain works on the flying and less on the book information during that time); probably quite a bit more than if you do the ground and flight together.
Again, different strokes for different folks, but those are my opinions.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2015, 07:48:35 PM »
+1
If this is the only option for you, fine. Go for it. But I urge you to consider other ways (like saving. better to push it off until you're ready than to pay a lot more in interest).  My 2 cents.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2015, 07:52:29 PM »
If this is the only option for you, fine. Go for it. But I urge you to consider other ways (like saving. better to push it off until you're ready than to pay a lot more in interest).  My 2 cents.
The same argument can be used against any kind of loan or financing plan. For many people that's the only way to make it affordable.

When I was a Bochur I basically got turned off just from hearing a $6-8K price tag. If I would have known I can split it into a manageable $200 a month I might have gone for it...

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2015, 07:57:11 PM »
The same argument can be used against any kind of loan or financing plan. For many people that's the only way to make it affordable.

When I was a Bochur I basically got turned off just from hearing a $6-8K price tag. If I would have known I can split it into a manageable $200 a month I might have gone for it...
Fair enough but this is really more of a luxury than most things and CAN be pushed off much easier than most things. Only exception would be a bochur. If you're a bochur and financing is the only real way you'll be able to afford it, then go for financing cause you'll never have the bochur factor again. But if you're married already, things actually might be easier (scheduling-wise, say) in a few years when the kids are a bit older than now, so your opportunities likely won't change over then next few years except in regards to finances which (hopefully, likely, iy"H) will improve.

Offline ual902

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2015, 10:57:07 PM »
Has anyone here on DDF gone for a Job Interview yet with the Airlines?. (Of course after your 1200 flying hours)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:03:43 PM by ual902 »

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2015, 11:07:29 PM »
Has anyone here on DDF gone for a Job Interview yet with the Airlines?. (Of course after your 1200 flying hours)

Fast forward a year later I decided to give the airlines a shot. During the hiring boom I got hired into the left seat of a regional airline flying turboprops, soon after got the furlough notice and with the Falcon experience got hired as a street captain flying another Falcon.

This repetition goes on for another few years repeating the similar, the only difference is I was getting laid off instead of quitting. There was a point, I believe it was in 2008 after losing many jobs, moving all over the country that I decided not to fly professionally anymore.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2015, 11:29:03 PM »
From what I understand it would be very hard for a Shomer Shabbos to get a job as an airline pilot.

Offline shtank

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
From what I understand it would be very hard for a Shomer Shabbos to get a job as an airline pilot.
I have no personal experience but a few things to keep in mind:
The entire aviation industry is largely seniority-based. The more senior you are, the more likely you are to be able to get off on weekends, etc. You would probably be able to get off Shabbos but I would think you would get dirty looks from your colleagues.
Depending on the equipment you fly and for what airline, I have heard estimates of being away from home for up to 2 weeks out of every month. I know people do this in other situations (i.e. commuting to Israel, etc.) but I would think it's a serious strain.

I have heard of frum people being airline pilots but it's very rare and takes even more dedication than for the average Joe. And the pay is no longer so amazing.

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2015, 12:26:12 AM »
I know people do this in other situations (i.e. commuting to Israel, etc.) but I would think it's a serious strain.
I think we know the same person and he actually discourages anyone from becoming an Airline Pilot.

Offline yesitsme

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2015, 12:26:43 AM »
I have no personal experience but a few things to keep in mind:
The entire aviation industry is largely seniority-based. The more senior you are, the more likely you are to be able to get off on weekends, etc. You would probably be able to get off Shabbos but I would think you would get dirty looks from your colleagues.
Depending on the equipment you fly and for what airline, I have heard estimates of being away from home for up to 2 weeks out of every month. I know people do this in other situations (i.e. commuting to Israel, etc.) but I would think it's a serious strain.

I have heard of frum people being airline pilots but it's very rare and takes even more dedication than for the average Joe. And the pay is no longer so amazing.

how about only flying in the states?
["-"]

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 08, 2015, 12:28:36 AM »
how about only flying in the states?

Everyone tries to get off on weekends states or International.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2015, 07:15:26 AM »
Exactly. It's all seniority based. Once you work your way up to the top you can basically choose whatever flights you want but when you start off you get whatever no one else wants and that includes lots of weekend and holiday flying...

ETA: Check out this favorite post of mine from the thread I linked to earlier (and the response a few posts down):

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/34/other-other-topics/ask-me-about-being-airline-pilot-flying-general-628324/index328.html#post37207591
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:33:44 AM by Achas Veachas »

Offline efflpetzel

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2015, 06:02:03 PM »
fascinating thread!

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
Yes very true. I wasn't back in those days but Bh I am today. Working for a frum company is the really the only way.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:45 PM »
Yes very true. I wasn't back in those days but Bh I am today. Working for a frum company is the really the only way.
Yeah I was thinking that but somehow it didn't make it into my post. If someone got the job and the seniority and THEN became Shomer Shabbos he could manage it but starting at the bottom it probably wouldn't work.

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2015, 08:12:58 PM »
Yeah I was thinking that but somehow it didn't make it into my post. If someone got the job and the seniority and THEN became Shomer Shabbos he could manage it but starting at the bottom it probably wouldn't work.
Or if he got a job before the system started being controlled by seniority.