Author Topic: Private Pilot's License  (Read 47640 times)

Offline yidsimple

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Private Pilot's License
« Reply #220 on: September 06, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »
Should not be a problem

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2015, 04:10:10 PM »
Positive Rate Gear Up has two deals, one on Groupon and one on LS. The LS one seems way better, more flight time and cheaper. Is there something that I am missing? https://www.groupon.com/deals/positive-rate-gear-up-1-3 vs. https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/1326840-90-minute-private-flight-lesson-for-two-people.

Anyone else flown with them besides Av"A? Have not had my flight yet, but so far very unimpressed with their service. Mark who handles reservations, says he will call back, never does. When I called him up today to confirm flight coming up in a few days, says he doesn't recall making a reservation and had to double check, and that maybe it might be a little cloudy so it might be cancelled too. Anyone else experience?

Offline euphor

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 23, 2015, 08:56:38 AM »
Anyone else flown with them besides Av"A? Have not had my flight yet, but so far very unimpressed with their service. Mark who handles reservations, says he will call back, never does. When I called him up today to confirm flight coming up in a few days, says he doesn't recall making a reservation and had to double check, and that maybe it might be a little cloudy so it might be cancelled too. Anyone else experience?
My husband just took the intro flight, he loved it. It wasn't very professional, they don't log the time and the video is literally the instructor taking video using your own phone. They didn't even ask for the Groupon until he was done. And the actual flight time was pretty short. We were out of there in less than an hour including the "ground instruction" which was walking around the plane and checking it. But my husband didn't notice any of this cuz he loved every minute of it, he loves airplanes and this was his bday present so I have no regrets at all...

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 23, 2015, 09:17:10 AM »
My husband just took the intro flight, he loved it. It wasn't very professional, they don't log the time and the video is literally the instructor taking video using your own phone. They didn't even ask for the Groupon until he was done. And the actual flight time was pretty short. We were out of there in less than an hour including the "ground instruction" which was walking around the plane and checking it. But my husband didn't notice any of this cuz he loved every minute of it, he loves airplanes and this was his bday present so I have no regrets at all...

I loved every minute of it too. I did it through the living social deal which came out cheaper than the groupon and was very happy. Would highly recommend the 2 person deal over the 1 person for many reasons, including my friend was able to take as many videos and pictures as we wanted while I was flying and vv, you will be able to learn a lot too when you are not focusing on the controls, but rather on your friend controlling it, my friend and I both got a full 45 minutes of flying time, I flew out to Connecticut and my friend flew it back, with the one person deal there is none of that. The ground instruction we also spent quite a bit of time, as an avgeek it was a very cool experience. Would recommend them to anyone.

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #224 on: October 25, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
Sounds pretty much like my experience....

Offline Yosel

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 25, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
I there an age limitation, as to get a pilot license ? like to old...............

Offline Achas Veachas

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #226 on: October 25, 2015, 05:00:58 PM »
Pretty sure you can be a pilot as long as you can pass the medical examination. No age limit.

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 25, 2015, 06:03:15 PM »

Offline MeirS

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 25, 2015, 08:01:05 PM »

Offline Yaalili

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 01, 2017, 07:36:07 AM »
Cool startup that is booming with plenty of orders for a sport aircraft, requires half the time and learning than a regular PPL - http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/icon-a5-ultimate-amateur-plane/.

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 07, 2017, 06:47:57 PM »
Cool startup that is booming with plenty of orders for a sport aircraft, requires half the time and learning than a regular PPL - http://thepointsguy.com/2016/12/icon-a5-ultimate-amateur-plane/.

IMO, anything less than a regular PPL is not really worth it unless you're getting it for near-free (not happening) or there's no way you'd ever get a license otherwise. Doesn't let you do as much and very few places to actually rent or use a plane without a PPL so you'd have to buy one (may as well spend the money on a PPL) or create a club just for that. And I'm not even sure what the insurance restrictions would be. Sport and recreational licenses were things they tried to make into a thing a while ago and nobody really bit.

Offline Shunts

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 08, 2017, 01:02:49 AM »
In the recent past, I began the process of obtaining my PPL. Once I slowly realized the long term associated costs with general aviation, such as club membership, aircraft rental etc, I instead elected to take advantage of FAA Part 103.

It essentially allows an individual to operate, albeit with a strict set of guidelines, an ultralight vehicle without any required licensing or certifications. Sure, it can only carry a single occupant and isn't allowed fly into controlled airports and has other limitations. But it will certainly satiate my appetite to fly.

So I went ahead and purchased a kit to build a wooden and cloth airplane! I’m currently building the fuselage section and hope to have the entire project complete within a few months.

Offline Moshe123

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Lost
« Reply #232 on: January 08, 2017, 03:31:18 AM »
In the recent past, I began the process of obtaining my PPL. Once I slowly realized the long term associated costs with general aviation, such as club membership, aircraft rental etc, I instead elected to take advantage of FAA Part 103.

It essentially allows an individual to operate, albeit with a strict set of guidelines, an ultralight vehicle without any required licensing or certifications. Sure, it can only carry a single occupant and isn't allowed fly into controlled airports and has other limitations. But it will certainly satiate my appetite to fly.

So I went ahead and purchased a kit to build a wooden and cloth airplane! I’m currently building the fuselage section and hope to have the entire project complete within a few months.

Paper airplane?

Offline VLK

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 21, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »
For all those interested there is a place in midtown manhattan called manhattan flight club. They have 2 simulators one of them is very up to date and is certified to count towards the flying hours needed to gat a privat pilot license. Here is the website for anyone interested. http://www.manhattanflightclub.com

Offline shtank

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 09, 2017, 01:41:43 PM »
For all those interested there is a place in midtown manhattan called manhattan flight club. They have 2 simulators one of them is very up to date and is certified to count towards the flying hours needed to gat a privat pilot license. Here is the website for anyone interested. http://www.manhattanflightclub.com

Just noticed this post. It looks nice, but people should understand that you can't use simulator time towards your private pilot license. You CAN use it for SOME of the requirements towards your instrument rating AFTER you get your PPL.

Offline simtechn_nyc

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2019, 05:03:07 AM »
Just noticed this post. It looks nice, but people should understand that you can't use simulator time towards your private pilot license. You CAN use it for SOME of the requirements towards your instrument rating AFTER you get your PPL.

2.5 can credit for a private pilot which is nothing. But using a simulator allows private pilot to practice procedures and reduce how much above the 40 hours they go. At Simtech, he have a few people who use the simulator even before they touch the airplane. https://www.aviator.nyc/student-pilot-training/

20 hours for the instrument https://www.aviator.nyc/pilot-instrument-rating-and-fligh-training/

50 hour for a commercial https://www.aviator.nyc/faa-commercial-pilot/

Our Simulator (AATD) is in midtown Manhattan https://www.aviator.nyc/

Offline Coinguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 24, 2019, 04:54:10 PM »
Wondering if anyone can help me a little here. I need to travel to remote airports in the southeast for work every week. As flights are infrequent and unreliable I’m thinking of getting a plane and flying myself. Can anyone give me some guidance here? These places are approximately 600-900 miles from NJ. TIA

Offline Coinguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 27, 2019, 09:54:33 AM »
Wondering if anyone can help me a little here. I need to travel to remote airports in the southeast for work every week. As flights are infrequent and unreliable I’m thinking of getting a plane and flying myself. Can anyone give me some guidance here? These places are approximately 600-900 miles from NJ. TIA

To clarify, what kind of plane should I be looking for? How much should that cost? Can they be leased?

Offline ual902

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 28, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
To clarify, what kind of plane should I be looking for? How much should that cost? Can they be leased?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193273805665

This Airplane has been fully restored with a full strip and paint using Jetglow and Valspar Paint!

New hardware inside and out, full LED lighting, new sound proofing, new leather, new plastics and new glass all around. New Tires, Overhauled front strut.
King 155 with G/S avionics
King 197 A
Stratus ADSB out Transponder
P/S Engineering 8000 Bluetooth
Garmin 796 Panel Mount GPS
1260 Hours on Engine with New Carb, 0320 H2ADT 160 H.P.
No know accident.
Serial Number: 17266322
Registration #: N75972
Total Time: 4800
$93,500

Offline Coinguy

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 01, 2020, 06:40:36 PM »
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193273805665

This Airplane has been fully restored with a full strip and paint using Jetglow and Valspar Paint!

New hardware inside and out, full LED lighting, new sound proofing, new leather, new plastics and new glass all around. New Tires, Overhauled front strut.
King 155 with G/S avionics
King 197 A
Stratus ADSB out Transponder
P/S Engineering 8000 Bluetooth
Garmin 796 Panel Mount GPS
1260 Hours on Engine with New Carb, 0320 H2ADT 160 H.P.
No know accident.
Serial Number: 17266322
Registration #: N75972
Total Time: 4800
$93,500

I need something that will fly at least 900 miles