Topic Wiki

Add your experience by copying someone else's entry/code and plugging in your data points.

AirlineClassRouteDateReviewerComments
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
QFYJFK-LAX11/14SearchGuyThey even provided foil pan and double wrap to warm the food!
UAJEWR-HNL8/15@YehudaPOM meals
UAY/Y+LIH-LAX8/15@YehudaPOM meals, was booked in Y but was given a Y+ seat
LHJFRA-JFK11/14itsyehudaPOM meals
AAFJFK-LAX5/15itsyehudaPOM meals
ATYCMN-JFK12/15eliteflyerPOM meal
DLJATL-HNL8/15Something FishyPOM meals
DLFLAX-JFK8/15Something FishyPOM meals
PSYJFK-KBP4/16User6669Refrigerate salad and spreads.
HAYJFK-HNL2/1712HRSFA offered aluminum foil to rewrap after checking food
UAJEWR-LAX7/16brodes18POM meals. At first refused due to "regulations", agreed to heat them up after some persuading.
MUJJFK-PVG4/26/17yhoodersPOM meals.My friend reports they heated with no issue.
BAFJFK-LHR3/16LoLoThey even provided foil pan and double wrap to warm the food, then served it on the dishes from my KSML.

« Last edited by LoLo on November 16, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »

Author Topic: BYOK Master Thread: Bring Your Own KSML To Be Warmed Up Onboard  (Read 65281 times)

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: BYOK: Bring Your Own KSML To Be Warmed Up Onboard
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »
Another success with CX F, but as usual, they weren't thrilled about it.

Rules and Regulations clearly state...(bla bla bla)

Offline moisheyb

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
anyone have experience in Y on AA jfk-zrh?

Offline itsyehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
Update:

After seeing me polite begging and explaining of what was in it and that no one would get harmed, the food was heated up for me about midway through the flight... And it was delicious!

The interesting point to me is that its seemingly against their rules. Or does it just make them uncomfortable since its new to them? Hard to know I guess.

Its not against their rules. You are entitled to compensation if they refuse you. (My experience was in J)
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline efflpetzel

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2017, 01:53:18 PM »
My first fail.

VS gave me BS talk about health & safety regulations only allow them to heat up their own meals >:(

Offline itsyehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:30 PM »
Success on MU J. Updated the Wiki.
I remember when a coke was a nickel, and you could buy VRs in OD.

Offline ilherman

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2017, 04:40:22 AM »
Was on DL469 to TLV I didn't have anything to warm up but I just asked the FA if they would warm up my meal he said no "because we have to make sure its prepared to be baked in our ovens"..  :-X
You can say what you think when you think what you say.

Offline brodes18

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, UA 1K, AA Platinum
« Reply #206 on: July 27, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
So, what is the consensus here with regards to making this work.?

I have tried it and was successful after pushing a bit. However, there are some mixed results. It seems to be based on the FA's willingness to help.

On one hand, the risk is that you bring this on board, they refuse to heat it up and you have to go hungry and loose a meal that you had to carry around with you. On the other hand, if it works out, you have a great meal where you would otherwise be restricted to cold food or the whim of the KSML.

I have been contemplating just using the strict allergies idea that Dan posted about in UAE. Could be easier to explain than Kosher.

I'm planning a trip on UA to HKG and NRT. Trying to decide if I want to go through the hassle. If you have done it, how do you feel about it?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #207 on: July 27, 2017, 12:06:08 PM »
As long as you order a KSML you're good.

If it doesn't show up they won't let you starve. If it does show up, show them how awful it looks and they won't let you starve.

Never had major issues aside from CX.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline brodes18

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 14, 2017, 04:23:43 PM »
I'm looking for suggestions on an insulated lunch bag to take my meals on board. I have the Polar 24 pack awesome bag for all of my frozen meals, but it will need to be checked. When I take my meals on board, or on the road, I'd like to use an insulated lunch bag. This way I could keep one or two meals both cold as well as leak free. Furthermore, for cases where they don't want to heat it up, I dont have to put it into a bucket of ice. Considering this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073CSW2B8/ref=s9_acsd_newrz_hd_bw_by9Id_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=K249XXDAHXSAT4M7RR8M&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=d3fdcba0-5e48-51f7-a947-9125e95549c2&pf_rd_i=14335431&th=1

Offline brodes18

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 31, 2017, 03:45:33 AM »
Had no issues getting my Pom meals heated up on united in J SFO-NRT and NRT-SFO. I found a profound difference in response based on how you ask. Originally I would start explaining the situation about kosher and why I brought my own meal before the ask to have it heated. Now I simply walk to the kitchen as I board and request that they heat my meal along with the kosher meal they plan to serve. Goes over much better as most FA's simply don't understand why. Just tell them what you expect, and it goes over with no issues.

Offline yitzy93

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 31, 2017, 06:19:51 AM »
Had no issues getting my Pom meals heated up on united in J SFO-NRT and NRT-SFO. I found a profound difference in response based on how you ask. Originally I would start explaining the situation about kosher and why I brought my own meal before the ask to have it heated. Now I simply walk to the kitchen as I board and request that they heat my meal along with the kosher meal they plan to serve. Goes over much better as most FA's simply don't understand why. Just tell them what you expect, and it goes over with no issues.
I wonder how well that would work in Y. Can't imagine flight crew being too happy about someone barging into the kitchen when they want everyone to take their seats to complete boarding.

Offline brodes18

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 31, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »
So, funny story...

15 minutes into the flight, the purser comes over and (in the most polite friendly Japanese attitude) begins to tell me that it's against the regulations, blah, blah. She is very apologetic. I explain that the meal they have for me is quite poor and I have done this before...

She responds that she will go and convince the FA to heat it up this time. She advised me that i should consider not bringing this in the future.

She comes back a minute later and tells me that she could not convince the FA to heat it up with the other meals in the oven. But she would heat it up after in its own oven. My packing skills were weak, and I think the fact that it was leaking a bit freaked her a bit.

When the meal came, the regal meal had pasta as the "main dish" that's it, just dry pasta. No chicken, just pasta. It was a joke. When they brought me my pom Sino steak a few minutes later (which was piping hot and awesome btw), I showed the purser exactly why I bring my own meals.

As a side, it's really shameful that on these new Polaris flight, they only offer this junk. Shameful!

Offline gold

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 31, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »
So, funny story...

15 minutes into the flight, the purser comes over and (in the most polite friendly Japanese attitude) begins to tell me that it's against the regulations, blah, blah. She is very apologetic. I explain that the meal they have for me is quite poor and I have done this before...

She responds that she will go and convince the FA to heat it up this time. She advised me that i should consider not bringing this in the future.

She comes back a minute later and tells me that she could not convince the FA to heat it up with the other meals in the oven. But she would heat it up after in its own oven. My packing skills were weak, and I think the fact that it was leaking a bit freaked her a bit.

When the meal came, the regal meal had pasta as the "main dish" that's it, just dry pasta. No chicken, just pasta. It was a joke. When they brought me my pom Sino steak a few minutes later (which was piping hot and awesome btw), I showed the purser exactly why I bring my own meals.

As a side, it's really shameful that on these new Polaris flight, they only offer this junk. Shameful!

If it was leaking how did you heat it up..... It's got to be hermeticly sealed?

Offline brodes18

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 31, 2017, 07:35:59 PM »
For Kosher reasons?

I used an allumanem pan with a paper / foil cover. Then I wrapped it twice with foil so that it was fully wrapped. Even so, as it melted on my way to the airport. I noted it dripping through all of the layers. BTW, I've noted that the regal meals can experience similar leaks.

Offline YMW

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 03, 2017, 01:22:08 AM »
If it was leaking how did you heat it up..... It's got to be hermeticly sealed?

Offline mikebg

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 03, 2017, 07:05:02 AM »
Kashrus does NOT mean the package needs to be hermetically sealed. Being covered with two coverings is enough.

Offline zow

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:39 AM »
Two logistics questions, in preparation for a trip to DXB in a few weeks, taking DW's "Pom" meals for hotel re-heat:

1. Do I need to freeze my Polar Bear cooler before packing it, or can I pack it room temperature?

2. What heating instructions for frozen meals? I'm guessing 60-90 minutes at 175-200C. Please advise.

Thanks.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
« Reply #217 on: October 23, 2017, 08:05:49 AM »
1. Do I need to freeze my Polar Bear cooler before packing it, or can I pack it room temperature?

You mean the cooler itself? That could be room temp.

And you'd probably get a better answer to your second question in the kosher food while traveling thread.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 23, 2017, 08:49:26 AM »
IIRC POM meals come with instructions on them.

Offline yitrap

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 23, 2017, 09:01:19 AM »
IIRC POM meals come with instructions on them.
Seems these are the homemade type