Author Topic: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks  (Read 127412 times)

Offline yos9694

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2023, 11:12:38 PM »
Hmm. Any other suggestions for Sunday? Or should we just drive right to West Yellowstone?

GPS? Which falls? Not going to be able to do anything more than very basic walks with a 3 and 5 year old in tow...

Details on Ranger talks and the Junior Ranger program? They'll keep 4 kids entertained?

GPS = grand prismatic springs. Highlight of the park, near old faithful and the other geysers.

The falls are at the grand canyon of yellowstone. With little kids I'd do the upper trail rather than lower.

I'm not so good at figuring out what to do on which days. But i wanted you to know you could be yoitze without as much running around. Maybe do Mammoth but just briefly, as the other poster suggests.

The Rangers are a highlight of the park for me, especually with kids! Go to any ranger station and ask for a Junior Ranger book (for each kid). Look at the bulletin board for times/places of ranger talks or walks. If anything looks interesting, see if you can make it. Not all the programs are appealing to everyone, but we like a lot of them. Oke memorable one at Yellowstone was about different animal skulls and pelts. We got to hold and examine fox skull and fur, bison, etc. Was fun, got great pictures

Offline yos9694

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 17, 2023, 11:24:59 PM »
Kids went absolutely nuts over Hayden Valley and begged us to gp back multiple times. Seeing bison families walking next to our car on the road meant more to them than walking crowded hot trails to look at second tier features.

My point is theres a short list of "cant miss" things to do in yellowstone. The rest is onky nice if you have the time/energy.

We also planned it last minute and couldnt find a room inside the park. So we bought a tent and stayed at a campsite. I did not expect to enjoy that but we all did.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2023, 12:06:07 PM »
Regarding rodeo, we did the smaller West Yellowstone Rodeo instead of the "professional" rodeo in Jackson. Think of it like going to a minor league baseball game: if you aren't that interested in baseball there are other things to keep you occupied at a minor league stadium vs. going to a MLB game. Similarly, the smaller rodeo had other activities that might entertain little kids and adults who know little about rodeo. For example, children under 12 were allowed into the ring to chase after baby calves. I don't think you'll see that at professional rodeos. Maybe someone who's been to the ones in Jackson or Cody can give more insight?
Moot for us, as West Yellowstone rodeo is closed for the season.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline DealJew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Premier Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Marriott Gold Elite
« Reply #403 on: August 18, 2023, 06:10:43 PM »
Moot for us, as West Yellowstone rodeo is closed for the season.
I was there a weeks and half ago and it was open… It was a great experience and a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 06:26:25 PM by DealJew »
PM me for airline compensation help. Your case is not lost!

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
« Reply #404 on: August 22, 2023, 12:45:31 PM »
Thoughts on this itinerary? Probably too much driving for kids as young as 3, but not sure what to do about that.

We just got back from a week long trip.
Some thoughts:

Staying in one place is definitely worth the extra drive, we didn’t (lack of availability) and it’s a right pain. Additionally lodges in Yellowstone pride themselves on lack of Wi-Fi or service so it makes planing the next day hard.

The Guidealong app audio guide is really great.

We drove over beartooth pass and Lamar valley on the way in, but that was over 6 hours of driving and we stayed the night in gardiner. West Yellowstone is even further…

Making it to the Lamar Valley at sunset meant that we saw about a hundred bison along the road, after that we only saw smaller packs or individuals for the rest of the trip, mostly around sunset.

At mammoth there isn’t much activity right now and some boardwalks are closed when climbing from the bottom.
I’d suggest driving the upper loop, then walking from the upper halfway to the lower where there is only one really active spring now - Jupiter terrace
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ev6rek9GFAcfcDr9A?g_st=ic

Many of the mud/paint/artist pots can get very repetitive, depending on your style you might be best off sticking to the nicest of each type.

Fountain Paint pots area is really nice and had some really constantly active geysers that can get you wet, really nice if your only other one will be old faithful that’s far away.
I’d pick that over artist pots as those, while pretty are tamer and have a bit of a climb.

Mud volcano was nice but nothing that lives up to the name anymore. boiling lakes and pots of muddy water.

Noriss basin was the most tame even though it’s pretty vast.

Isn’t west thumb a bit out of the way for you?

At Grand Prismatic I would strongly suggest climbing to the overlook to see it not from ground level. If you can do the climb. It’s a flat walk with a climb at the end.
(It’s a separate parking lot then the actual spring)
This one is far nicer than most others, don’t rush through it just to get to something else lackluster.
I would give this more time than most others mentioned.
It’s supposedly best with midday sun, so maybe don’t go early morning even if I’d want to start a day with it for the wow factor.

Overlook vs:

Boardwalk:

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone:
We stopped at north rim to see the brink of the upper falls (easy walk from car), then hiked 1.2 miles along the south rim from Upper falls viewpoint to Artist point. Lots of different angles of the lower falls and canyon and really nice, but there is some walking on hills involved.
Artist point is a must stop.
Inspiration point is also a nice stop along the north rim, can be fast and gives a great view down both directions in the canyon.
The stair trail to the base of the lower falls is closed.
Note that the north rim is a one way drive.

Hayden Vally we saw some bison towards the end of the day as well.

Sunset over Yellowstone lake can be really magical and while we didn’t make it to the lake butte overlook it sounds like a great idea.

Tetons:

Lewis falls can be seen from the road IIRC and is alright, but you might be over waterfalls.

Signal Mountain rd is amazing, check to see if the road is open though (closed this week).
It does not have a clear view of the Tetons but has an amazing view of the plains on the other side. (The Jenny lake ferry and inspiration point are similar but way more packed).

We stayed one night at the park in the signal mountain lodge suite, right on the lake facing the Tetons. The view was amazing and the suites have kitchens, but aren’t so well cleaned.
Might be worth staying there over Jackson.

The gondola up Jackson hole is pretty awesome, but dress for a lot of wind and cold so you can actually enjoy it instead of feeling blown back off the mountain. There’s a waffle store where you can take a break from the wind if needed, (they don’t have running water if you are planning to wash there).

There are lots of great Teton viewpoint turnouts along the east park road and the guidealong will point them out.

For those with kids over 6 we took the Barker Ewing float trip and we’re able to get same day reservations. It was really great!

For lunch stops in Yellowstone near the hot  springs and geysers:

Also consider checking if the fire hole river swimming area is open (if you are interested) as you will pass it a few times on your way to and from west Yellowstone. It’s a really calm stretch of the river.

Nez Perce picnic area is really nice and you can walk /play in the shallow and slow moving water of the fire hole river.

Sheep eater cliff is also really nice, near the gardiner river with a basalt hexagon cliff behind. This one has a about 1 mile out and back unmarked path to a stunning canyon waterfall that is unnamed and unmarked and passes a even larger basalt cliff on the way.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 12:51:41 PM by Zalc »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #405 on: August 22, 2023, 09:38:28 PM »
At Grand Prismatic I would strongly suggest climbing to the overlook to see it not from ground level. If you can do the climb. It’s a flat walk with a climb at the end.
(It’s a separate parking lot then the actual spring)
This one is far nicer than most others, don’t rush through it just to get to something else lackluster.
I would give this more time than most others mentioned.
It’s supposedly best with midday sun, so maybe don’t go early morning even if I’d want to start a day with it for the wow factor.

Overlook vs:

Boardwalk:

Nice TR!

Did you take those pictures of the grand prismatic springs? Was all clouded in from the boardwalk this afternoon, though we didn't make it to the overlook. Can you take a stroller to the overlook?

Why is Signal Mtn Rd closed? Can you see that info online?

Very frustrating that there's no WiFi or cell service in the park. Very hard to check on eruption times and make alternate plans.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 10:31:35 PM by Dan »
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Zalc

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 28, 2023, 10:08:21 PM »
Nice TR!

Did you take those pictures of the grand prismatic springs? Was all clouded in from the boardwalk this afternoon, though we didn't make it to the overlook. Can you take a stroller to the overlook?

Why is Signal Mtn Rd closed? Can you see that info online?

Very frustrating that there's no WiFi or cell service in the park. Very hard to check on eruption times and make alternate plans.
Photos are all ours, iPhone 14 pro.
Only the flat part of the wall to the overlook is stroller accessible, the last steep 5 minutes are a hiking trail IIRC.

They claimed signal MTN road would be closed due to new bathroom installation, we heard about it from the ranger at the welcome center.

Re: service, it might be worth getting a Verizon plan of some sort, we did see lots of people have basic service from them at lodges etc. still really sparse though.

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 29, 2023, 11:27:08 PM »
  Quote Very frustrating that there's no WiFi or cell service in the park. Very hard to check on eruption times and make alternate plans.

I've seen that they purposely don't want wifi service so that people would connect with nature and not be busy with their phones the whole time

When i was there 3 years ago there was a number to call to get updated eruption times,I don't know if they still have it

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 29, 2023, 11:29:04 PM »

When i was there 3 years ago there was a number to call to get updated eruption times,I don't know if they still have it
How would you make a phone call without reception?

Offline yitzgar

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 29, 2023, 11:33:08 PM »
I seem to recall the old faithful snow lodge has wifi

Offline lakewood34

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 29, 2023, 11:46:55 PM »
How would you make a phone call without reception?

there were area that had phone service with terrible wifi but yes most of the park you also had no cell phone service

Offline berny32

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 20, 2023, 04:03:02 PM »
Has anyone visited these 2 parks in the middle of winter?
Thinking of a 3-4 day trip, looking for practical advice from anyone who's been to these 2 parks in the heart of winter. I can handle cold weather but up to a point. How bone-chilling does it get? Are roads open? Where to base my stay? Fly to Bozeman and drive down? Going with my teenager - we like mid-level hikes, views, scenic drives, etc. Never been to these parks so any relevant advice for a winter trip would be appreciated.

Offline DTM18

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 12, 2024, 11:57:16 AM »
Has anyone stayed in Jackson Hole near the Chabad, or obtained meals therefrom?

Offline yelped

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 43
    • View Profile

Offline shlomi500

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 16, 2024, 11:52:26 PM »
i have flights to yellowstone for a from may 1st to may 7
any suggestions for yellowstone or grand tetons than, everyhere i read states the wildlife is great and park is empty has anybody been their than? are most of the major attractions open?
thanks?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 02:50:05 AM by shlomi500 »