Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

« Last edited by myi on March 26, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 72010 times)

Offline springles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 02:57:35 AM »
So if I have GEICO and use the CO OnePass will the CO OnePass conver the liab?
I do not believe so.  As far as i understand, the only way to get liability coverage not thru your existing insurance is to pay the 10-20 a day insurance fee.

Offline sprint

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 02:09:17 PM »
(yes i know - opening old thread)
Does anyone know the rules in the state of FL with regards to liability insurance? Is it state mandated a decent minimal coverage?  to be clear, if  person has no car insurance,  do they need to buy ldw in fl for a car rental or is there a way around it? (like canada, and ny)

Offline Cbs

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle, HHonors Gold, Silver Medallion, United 1k, AA Executive Platinum
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 02:26:51 PM »
(yes i know - opening old thread)
Does anyone know the rules in the state of FL with regards to liability insurance? Is it state mandated a decent minimal coverage?  to be clear, if  person has no car insurance,  do they need to buy ldw in fl for a car rental or is there a way around it? (like canada, and ny)
liability or LDW? they are two diff things. or are u asking two separate questions?

and have you checked these threads?
Liability insurance questions
What insurance do u buy when renting

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold President's Circle, National Emerald Club Executive, Starwood Gold
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »
After flipping through the T&C booklets for the CDW benefits from quite a few cards, I noticed that there are quite a lot of differences from one to the next, just a few to point out:
  • Most are secondary but some are primary
  • All AMEX Open (business) credit cards do not have any CDW outside the United States (unless you go for the premium insurance)
  • Most will not cover in Israel, Ireland (some just ROI not NI) and Jamaica (except some WMC) and some will exclude more countries like AU & NZ and Italy
  • Some will explicitly exclude some countries but for others write, that coverage may not apply, please contact the rental agency before etc.
  • Length of coverage varies, some have a max of 15 days, some 30 and some 31, AMEX premium is 42 and some may have different limits in the US and other countries
  • Most have a max of $50,000 while some say they only cover cars with a purchase price up to that, others will just pay a max of $50K regardless of the value, Some (e.g. Sapphire Preferred VS) don't specify an amount, rather they say call to inquire about a specific vehicle
  • Types of cars covered will vary from one to another, e.g. AMEX will exclude all full size SUV's (e.g. Chevy Suburban) while most Visa and MC's will only exclude exotic and pickups etc.
  • This I'm not 100% sure but I think theft coverage may not be provided on all cards
  • Most will not cover property stolen from the car

There are definitely more differences, but this is all I can come up with now

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
  • Programs: TK Miles&Smiles Elite, Hertz #1 Club Gold President's Circle, National Emerald Club Executive, Starwood Gold
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 01:08:27 AM »
to clarify some of the differences

I wrote most are secondary rather than all because there are more than 1 cc that has primary besides CO OPP
also I wrote most regarding Israel as there are a few that do cover Israel besides WMC, PenFed AMEX IIRC covers Israel

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 01:19:20 AM »
sorry, I stand corrected, my post is deleted.
btw,
I wrote most are secondary rather than all because there are more than 1 cc that has primary besides CO OPP
which ones? (not challenging, just would like to know)

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 05:01:40 AM »
sorry, I stand corrected, my post is deleted.
btw,which ones? (not challenging, just would like to know)

Can't remember any off hand, I just remember hearing that there are more than one, what about the CO PP?

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:37 AM »
In Israel, you save very little money by using the credit card insurance, because they make you take a different insurance than, that is more expensive by its own. Its already been discussed where it belongs.

Offline Saver2000

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2012, 08:23:51 AM »
In Israel, you save very little money by using the credit card insurance, because they make you take a different insurance than, that is more expensive by its own. Its already been discussed where it belongs.

Huh? What ae you talking about?

Offline Jkhein

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
Huh? What ae you talking about?
Thats what I find with my rentals in Israel. No big savings at all. Because they add on TP coverage which isnt cheap.

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
It is not such a clear subject.

on the one hand, it is state mandatory for EVERY car on the road to have liability insurance. The liability insurance which you purchase from most rental agencies is up to $1,000,000.

the question is only, how much is the state minimum.

interesting though, about 5 years ago, i rented a car from enterprise. they asked if i wanted liability, so i said i will go with the state minimum. the rep then told me that although they have minimum liability on the car, i will only receive it if i buy theirs. (sounded like a load of crap!)BTW, for those who own a car, in most cases you are automatically covered for a rental. just call up to confirm.
A guy who was 'in the know' explained to me how enterprise gets around the state minimum. Basically Enterprise writes up their own insurance policies and they include  a clause in the policy that if one were to rent a car without buying the liability they would be covered up to state minimum. But in a case of an accident, Enterprise reserves the right to sue the the renter in court at a later date.. So they're forcing you to buy their insurance while complying with the state minimum.
In my experience Avis and Hertz will tell you that your covered till the state minimum and Dollar Budget etc will say you have no coverage. Whether its true or not , I dont know. With Avis though I know someone who was involved in an accident without buying liability and Avis paid fully for it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
You still do save money with a MCW even with the LI insurance they force you to buy regardless and the CDW they force you to buy without a MCW comes with a deductible, so if they claim you made a scratch you will be fully responsible for it.
With a valid MCW the cc will pay for it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 40K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15685
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime Plat, DL Dirt, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Avis Chairman, National EE, Hertz PC
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Can't remember any off hand, I just remember hearing that there are more than one, what about the CO PP?
Well of course, the CO PP is the premium version of CO OPP and has all its basic benefits and more.
UA MPE also has primary CDW.
None of those work in Israel though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »

I've seen it it many places that if you decline CDW in Israel they make you take some sort of 3rd Party Insurance, but no one on this forum discusses any details about it, what kind of money is it it? are there any deductibles?

Offline zalmanb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
hi
i am renting a car in Australia and have a few CC's 1. Chase mileage plus Visa 2. SPG 3. AMEX plat 4. Citi Advantage AMEX.
what is the best card to use for insurance? whats it cover and do I have to pay for additional?
thank you