Topic Wiki

There are no Credit Cards that will cover Liability.
Visa, Amex, MasterCard and Discover will cover Loss Damage Waiver / Collision (CDW/LDW)

Cards that cover CDW/LDW in Israel:
Chase: Sapphire Preferred ($95 annual fee)
American Express Gold $195AF
Discover (accepted in Israel as Diners' Club): More, Open Road, Miles, Motiva (none have annual fees)   Policy link

You must present at the time of rental a copy of your policy or a document from the CC company stating that the insurance coverage applies to Israel . You will still have to purchase 3rd Party Liability, but you will save some shekels and have no deductible for damages.

Visa phone number : 800-VISA-911

Visa does NOT cover:
  • Cadillac Escalade
  • Mercedes GL series (they do cover GLK)
  • Mercedes E class
  • Corvettes
  • Camaro ZL1

AMEX premium will charge $24.95 per rental and they cover:
  • Up to $100K for damage or theft and accidental death or dismemberment coverage ($250,000 for California residents), up to $15,000 for excess medical expenses per person, and up to $5,000 for excess personal property coverage ($15,000 for Florida residents)
  • Any car from Mercedes, pickup trucks, Porsche and 15 passenger vans.
  • There's no need to pay for the full amount with money, even if it's with points or coupon rental and you pay just $2 fees they will still cover you.

Those that do NOT have a credit card insurance, here is an alternative:  https://worldwideinsure.org.

Author Topic: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance  (Read 308988 times)

Offline yossi4k

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club National Executive Elite Sixt Platinum
Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2012, 10:38:36 AM »
It is not such a clear subject.

on the one hand, it is state mandatory for EVERY car on the road to have liability insurance. The liability insurance which you purchase from most rental agencies is up to $1,000,000.

the question is only, how much is the state minimum.

interesting though, about 5 years ago, i rented a car from enterprise. they asked if i wanted liability, so i said i will go with the state minimum. the rep then told me that although they have minimum liability on the car, i will only receive it if i buy theirs. (sounded like a load of crap!)BTW, for those who own a car, in most cases you are automatically covered for a rental. just call up to confirm.
A guy who was 'in the know' explained to me how enterprise gets around the state minimum. Basically Enterprise writes up their own insurance policies and they include  a clause in the policy that if one were to rent a car without buying the liability they would be covered up to state minimum. But in a case of an accident, Enterprise reserves the right to sue the the renter in court at a later date.. So they're forcing you to buy their insurance while complying with the state minimum.
In my experience Avis and Hertz will tell you that your covered till the state minimum and Dollar Budget etc will say you have no coverage. Whether its true or not , I dont know. With Avis though I know someone who was involved in an accident without buying liability and Avis paid fully for it.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:25 AM »
In Israel, you save very little money by using the credit card insurance, because they make you take a different insurance than, that is more expensive by its own. Its already been discussed where it belongs.
You still do save money with a MCW even with the LI insurance they force you to buy regardless and the CDW they force you to buy without a MCW comes with a deductible, so if they claim you made a scratch you will be fully responsible for it.
With a valid MCW the cc will pay for it.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2012, 11:40:23 AM »
Can't remember any off hand, I just remember hearing that there are more than one, what about the CO PP?
Well of course, the CO PP is the premium version of CO OPP and has all its basic benefits and more.
UA MPE also has primary CDW.
None of those work in Israel though.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline lybbtthl

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
In Israel, you save very little money by using the credit card insurance, because they make you take a different insurance than, that is more expensive by its own. Its already been discussed where it belongs.

I've seen it it many places that if you decline CDW in Israel they make you take some sort of 3rd Party Insurance, but no one on this forum discusses any details about it, what kind of money is it it? are there any deductibles?

Offline zalmanb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
hi
i am renting a car in Australia and have a few CC's 1. Chase mileage plus Visa 2. SPG 3. AMEX plat 4. Citi Advantage AMEX.
what is the best card to use for insurance? whats it cover and do I have to pay for additional?
thank you

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
hi
i am renting a car in Australia and have a few CC's 1. Chase mileage plus Visa 2. SPG 3. AMEX plat 4. Citi Advantage AMEX.
what is the best card to use for insurance? whats it cover and do I have to pay for additional?
thank you

Car insurance in Australia works totally different than most places in general, especially with rental cars. Rental cars are fully insured without you paying anything, but they have a very high excess/deductable regardless of damage to the rental car or to a 3rd party. The only options they give you are excess reducers, either partial or complete, and there is no option of what cover you want (as in 3rd party or collision) it's either all or none.

Provided your credit card CDW includes Australia (AMEX's won't and IIRC Chase Visa will and I don't know about Citi AMEX), you should be able to claim damages done to the car and not have to pay the rental company's huge excess. I know someone who successfully claimed a damage to the rental car in Australia made on a Chase MileagePlus Visa. The only thing is, you still aren't covered for 3rd party since you can't choose what cover you want, it's either all or none, and if you take the insurance, then you don't need your credit card! The only difference would be if you were to choose the partial excess reducer you would get you could still get CDW from the CC and only pay partial excess if you need to claim 3rd party.

Offline zalmanb

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:48 PM »
@lybbtthl thank you. so it seems that my best option is using my Chase MileagePlus Visa.

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
@lybbtthl thank you. so it seems that my best option is using my Chase MileagePlus Visa.

I would double check it to make sure, the story I mentioned happened more than 2 years ago

Offline BAHayman

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Credit Card Car Rental Insurance
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »
I believe it may be possible to switch cards when you return the car, if you can and there was no damage you should put it on ure Amex Plat so as to avoid the foreign transaction fees...

Offline hocker

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 02:31:28 AM »
Friend got into and MVA with a Hertz car which he rented with points for free +tax and VISA doesn't want to cover it as the card insurance doesn't cover free rentals. Heads up!

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 02:33:28 AM »
Friend got into and MVA with a Hertz car which he rented with points for free +tax and VISA doesn't want to cover it as the card insurance doesn't cover free rentals. Heads up!

That doesn't really make sense, because they still take a hold on the credit card for the would be full amount plus $200 and Visa should be able to see that!

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 02:34:10 AM »
How much has to be charged?
What qualifies as rental charge?
Would a gallon of gas qualify?

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 02:45:00 AM »
Although Hertz did charge him for tax on the free days (never understood how or why) and he paid for an additional day they are maintaining that it isn't considered a paid rental day and they won't cover.

Offline golan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 07:34:21 AM »
Wow ! good to know. so basically you can't rely on cc coverage when even one day of your rental is free ?

Offline smurf

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
can you tell them at the end of the rental that you want to save your free days and pay for the rental?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 11:07:53 AM »
can you tell them at the end of the rental that you want to save your free days and pay for the rental?
Yes.

Offline hocker

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
Yes.
but Visa requires you to send in the initial rental contract in addition to the receipt, which would expose the shtickel. Additionally they might detect it by seeing the security hold didn't include any money for the rental. Refardless he didn't do it.

He is trying to fight it based upon he went in 3 times to change the car and they said they don't have cars available. The accident happened because of brake failure. They are telling him he should've parked the car there and not taken it home! Ridiculous!

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »
but Visa requires you to send in the initial rental contract in addition to the receipt, which would expose the shtickel. Additionally they might detect it by seeing the security hold didn't include any money for the rental. Refardless he didn't do it.

He is trying to fight it based upon he went in 3 times to change the car and they said they don't have cars available. The accident happened because of brake failure. They are telling him he should've parked the car there and not taken it home! Ridiculous!
how much do they want to charge him?

Offline SGF

• View Profile
  • Programs: Hertz President Circle
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:58 AM »
the deposit on the CC is the same as it would be on a regular rental and the contract also looks the same just includes a promo code so it should be easy to pay at the end if something happenes (in the future).

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »

any maskana on this - is this the real policy?