Author Topic: 5 day Kauai/Maui Trip Report with 4 month old and maneuvering tznius issues  (Read 26290 times)

Offline alpicone

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
I didn't do a helicopter tour... Does that mean there was no point in my trip?

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Did you see immodestly dressed women?
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
I didn't do a helicopter tour... Does that mean there was no point in my trip?
And I didn't do Segways in Paris. We both might have been a truly awesome activity, but we didn't miss the reason you go to the place or what the place is famous for.

I'm not saying a trip to Switzerland is worthless if you don't go to the Alps or that Hawaii just for hiking is a waste, but how does one plan a trip to a place and not do the main attraction? You don't go to Orlando and go on the London Eye and go to that little water park. You go for Disney/Universal/Sea World.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
And I didn't do Segways in Paris. We both might have been a truly awesome activity, but we didn't miss the reason you go to the place or what the place is famous for.

I'm not saying a trip to Switzerland is worthless if you don't go to the Alps or that Hawaii just for hiking is a waste, but how does one plan a trip to a place and not do the main attraction? You don't go to Orlando and go on the London Eye and go to that little water park. You go for Disney/Universal/Sea World.
Unless he feels that doing the "main attraction" compromises on values he holds more dear (like god, Torah and mitzvos) than your arbitrary value of doing the main attraction when you go visit a place.

Offline @Yehuda

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Unless he feels that doing the "main attraction" compromises on values he holds more dear (like god, Torah and mitzvos) than your arbitrary value of doing the main attraction when you go visit a place.
Then why go there?? I know he's been on other hikes and mountains but don't go to a place that's known for its beaches to see the greenery that it also happens to have. Whatever. Agree to disagree.

Online shmebeble

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Then why go there?? I know he's been on other hikes and mountains but don't go to a place that's known for its beaches to see the greenery that it also happens to have. Whatever. Agree to disagree.
BECAUSE THERE ARE OTHER THINGS TO DO!!!
He went for the things you wouldn't go for- but you make it seem like he did something stupid. Your argument is weak and frankly pointless.

Online Something Fishy

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 44
    • View Profile
    • Kosher Horizons
He went for the things you wouldn't go for- but you make it seem like he did something stupid.

Ding ding ding!

Everyone keeps forgetting the main point. The OP took an unusual trip and had an amazing time. Despite skipping what most of us would consider "must dos" he seems to have no regrets.

Discussing if such a trip is right for you is one thing. But to attack/bash/criticize the OP or his decisions is just wrong.
Check out my site for epic kosher adventures: Kosher Horizons

Offline casualchurner

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Ding ding ding!

Everyone keeps forgetting the main point. The OP took an unusual trip and had an amazing time. Despite skipping what most of us would consider "must dos" he seems to have no regrets.

Discussing if such a trip is right for you is one thing. But to attack/bash/criticize the OP or his decisions is just wrong.
+1
Everyone CHILL!! OP enjoyed his trip, good for him, let it go.
It's amazing how such a neutral TR could generate such arguments!

Offline alpicone

• View Profile
5 day Kauai/Maui Trip Report with 4 month old and maneuvering tznius issues
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2015, 10:44:42 PM »
Amazing how OP posts a decent trip report but includes an angle that some people might find useful and somehow it gets more attention than a SomethingFishy TR.

I would guess that for a good portion of ppl on DDF they go on any vacations without experiencing the local food because kosher is important to them.  Probably for the majority of the people who travel and don't keep kosher, that is crazy. How can you travel to all these unique places and not experience the local cuisine!

Yet no one get flak so saying, I packed a suitcase full of pomegranate meals for my trip to...

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
And Paris is known for cuisine. How could you go to Paris and not have French cuisine? You definitely shouldn't go if your not gonna have the French cuisine. After all that's what Paris is known for

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
And Nevada is known for prostitutes. You definitely shouldn't go to las Vegas if you're not gonna frequent them.
And Amsterdam is known for that and drugs. You definitely shouldn't go to Amsterdam if you won't participate

Online shmebeble

• View Profile
And Nevada is known for prostitutes. You definitely shouldn't go to las Vegas if you're not gonna frequent them.
And Amsterdam is known for that and drugs. You definitely shouldn't go to Amsterdam if you won't participate
I didnt want to write that. But a certain member of the forum went to Europe on a honeymoon and he didnt experience a lot of the top attractions in those places.
Now let's all chill and thank you OP!
You can get a private charter to scuba and snorkel if you really wanted to.- not to undermine the trip of anything!

Offline SOS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis First, Hertz Five Star, National Executive
I didnt want to write that. But a certain member of the forum went to Europe on a honeymoon and he didnt experience a lot of the top attractions in those places.
Now let's all chill and thank you OP!
You can get a private charter to scuba and snorkel if you really wanted to.- not to undermine the trip of anything!

We don't knew if he experienced all those things cause he never finished his trip report :) ;D

I think everyone needs to relax and stop twisting everyone's words in both directions

ETA: to clarify I don't think that forum member did any of those stuff
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 11:00:32 PM by SOS »

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
Props on keeping a cool head during these discussions.

After 8 kids I think he knows how to do that :D

I thought it was the vacation from the 8 kids that kept him so calm.

Offline lunatic

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 8
    • View Profile
Why is  everyone critical of the OP? He did what he thought correct and reported back to help others. Let's not make this a popcorn thread

Offline 12HRS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile

Weren't you the one who went to orlando and didn't do disney :P?

Offline doodle

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
Why is  everyone critical of the OP? He did what he thought correct and reported back to help others. Let's not make this a popcorn thread
  +100 the guy is a real man, lives with principles . full respect .   
p.s. check us out, down by the  Yam Hamelech
Salt Is Good

Offline ganizzy

• View Profile
Thanks for the trip report. We went to Oahu on the way to Australia and limited it to 2 days for the same reason. Wasnt sure how much we would be able to do.
Ended up working out great.  We didn't spend time in Honolulu but found plenty empty beaches on the rest of the island

Offline JoeCha

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Avis President's Club, Expedia+ Silver
+1

Wow. Not that it means much, but throughout your TR, I could not help but be impressed with your self-control and high standards.

Truly remarkable. Hashem should bless you!
+1
Impressive report and impressive character.

Thank you for sharing.
"There is no such thing as bad whiskey. Some whiskeys just happen to be better than others" ― William Faulkner

Offline skyguy918

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Just want to chime in with my experience in Hawaii, specifically relative to tznius and the discussion on what to see/do when you visit a particular place.

I went to Maui for a few days (4 nights) last August. I'm not a huge beach person (or even pool/swimming in general) in the first place, and though my wife very much is, she's less so when it involves an Aqua Modesto, swimming cap, swimming in a skirt, etc. As a result, we didn't really make it a focus in our itinerary. We used the hotel (Fairmont Kea Lani) pools and beach several times, and since I'm pretty nearsighted, I just left my glasses in my room. Would I say I have absolutely no qualms about having done that (or doing it again in the future in Hawaii or elsewhere)? No, definitely not. But I did have some level of comfort that I was taking steps to at least reduce my exposure.

The activities we had planned were RTH, Haleakala sunrise and hiking, and possibly some snorkeling. We tried out snorkeling gear at the hotel, and neither of us were particularly comfortable with it, so we ended up forgoing the snorkeling and doing a hike in Iao Valley State Park. The last (half) day we went back to HNL and did Pearl Harbor. RTH ended up having the most tznius challenges of the bunch, but I pretty much followed the same protocol of taking off my glass when I thought it necessary.

As far going to Hawaii and not hanging out at the beach, snorkeling, etc., having made the trip I would say that if somehow all of the beaches and snorkeling spots were permanently closed and inaccessible, I still would want to go and visit the places I visited. Can you see the type of nature and hiking sights I did elsewhere? Probably something similar, but not the same. I'd argue that there are more places in the world with gorgeous beaches and snorkeling (even if they're not quite as good as Hawaii). It's all a matter of what you want out of your trip. Not having beaches and snorkeling on your activities list shouldn't preclude you from wanting to go to Hawaii.