Author Topic: Warm with shul and food  (Read 9962 times)

Offline Mutty

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
Re: Warm with shul and food
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
Ok, I found it. First of all it's 13,500 points. I called SPG and they had the same idea. They booked me through the 30th and said I should keep calling. I got 5 for 4 but x 13,500. I hope I'll get the last night or I can't go. As far as Shabos what did u guys do about the climb and the electronic doors. are there places to buy shabbos food etc. Can I put a hot plate in  the room? Thanks for alal ur help guys. By the way how nice of a hotel is it?
Mutty
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 07:15:03 PM »
Ok, I found it. First of all it's 13,500 points. I called SPG and they had the same idea. They booked me through the 30th and said I should keep calling. I got 5 for 4 but x 13,500. I hope I'll get the last night or I can't go. As far as Shabos what did u guys do about the climb and the electronic doors. are there places to buy shabbos food etc. Can I put a hot plate in  the room? Thanks for alal ur help guys. By the way how nice of a hotel is it?
Mutty
Why call?
You can go online and book 01/26-01/31 for 12K points per night and the 5th night free for a total of 48K points.
Just keep checking daily for avaialbility on the 31st.  Or have a Plat check how much the Plat paid guaranteed availability rate would be.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
why 13500? and im assuming you are renting a car. I dont know about buying shab food in ft laud but u can def buy in miami beach

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 08:16:55 PM »
Mutty

Last time I was at the Westin Diplomat the concierge went out of his way to tell me that if i decide to stay for shabbos there is plenty of food that can be delivered. He offered to arrange for that, as well as the Hotel being familiar with hot plate, fridge, shabbos keys, etc. I think they will give you a very low floor for friday night, so you can take the stairs. He even told me that there are some orthodox minyanim nearby (there are). They definitely know how to take care of frum guests for shabbos! oh and it's a very nice hotel, rooms are very nice, and if you get an ocean view you will not be disappointed.

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 08:20:41 PM »
come to ny and pray for global warming

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 08:59:58 PM »
@Eliteflyer  You got the diplomat for 62ai!? when you made ur bid did u know for sure u were going to get the diplomat or was it luck of the draw( in other words is that the only hotel with that amount of stars in that area on PL)

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 10:31:52 AM »
@Eliteflyer  You got the diplomat for 62ai!? when you made ur bid did u know for sure u were going to get the diplomat or was it luck of the draw( in other words is that the only hotel with that amount of stars in that area on PL)
I was 99% sure that I would get the diplomat, because all of the history at Betterbidding suggested that the DIP was the only 4* in the area accepting such low bids on weekend nights.
The priceline $62/night got upgraded to the suite too?

After some coaxing, they agreed to put us in an upgraded room for both nights, and offer us lounge access + free wifi. Be sure to visit the spa at the golf location while there. The steam room is divine, and the environs are really a relaxing place to rejuvenate away from the crowds at the beach location. Although the hotel was sold out while we were there, the pool and beach front were fairly empty because most of the guests were there for meetings in the convention center all day. :-)

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
  • Programs: AA Lifetime Gold; PC Platinum; AccurHotels Platinum; National Executive; Marriot Silver Elite; Hilton Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz #1 Club Gold 5 Star; SixT Platinum; Avis First
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
I got them to change it back to 12,000 per night but I still can't get that extra night. They're booked solid. If anyone knows how to break through to them to give me the extra night I need, please tell me. If I'm not sure I'm getting it I'll have to cancel the flight, etc. BTW, did any one check out the traveladvisor approval rating? It's a dismal 75%? Some real nasty comments, and recently. Any one have a bad experience. I love this forum!
Mutty
“You see things; you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?”

Offline momo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »
worst thing that can happen is you will have to change ur hotel for the last night. Why would you cancel your flight?

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »
Actually I thought about that and I can take a airport spg room for the night. Thnaks again. Just worried about the 25% negative comments, and some really bad ones. Thanks you all.
Mutty

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2011, 05:38:30 PM »
you're bound to have some unhappy customer anywhere. I didn't notice anything wrong while i was there, but the complaints can be food oriented which is irrelevant to frummeh

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
you're bound to have some unhappy customer anywhere. I didn't notice anything wrong while i was there, but the complaints can be food oriented which is irrelevant to frummeh
Also, look for people that are clearly not regular travelers, (i.e elite or DD forum members) that found wifi charges and other hotel hidden fees to be abominable etc.

Do note, that parking is $20 per day for self park and about $25 for valet. We did self park, and it somehow failed to appear on our bill.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
I'm enjoying this forum too much, but now after all that you guys are gonna kill me. We wanted something quieter with more quiet siteseeing, etc. We found another possibility, though it's getting late in the decision process. It's also more expensive in both the flight and the points. We're now thinking of Scottsdale. The Westin Diplomat Villas has kitchennets which can be a big help for Shabbos. The staff is aware of the shomer shabbos needs, and there's food. The shul is a 33 minute walk. We were once in Phoenix and it's real pretty out there. The only thing stopping us before was the weather. But it's high 60's during the day, 50 at night. Any thoughts or id uall have enough of this old geezer? Good Shabbos.
Mutty

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2011, 10:01:24 AM »
I'm enjoying this forum too much, but now after all that you guys are gonna kill me. We wanted something quieter with more quiet siteseeing, etc. We found another possibility, though it's getting late in the decision process. It's also more expensive in both the flight and the points. We're now thinking of Scottsdale. The Westin Diplomat Villas has kitchennets which can be a big help for Shabbos. The staff is aware of the shomer shabbos needs, and there's food. The shul is a 33 minute walk. We were once in Phoenix and it's real pretty out there. The only thing stopping us before was the weather. But it's high 60's during the day, 50 at night. Any thoughts or id uall have enough of this old geezer? Good Shabbos.
Mutty

Methinks it's really about what works best for you, though this doesn't sound as warm as the other locations.
100% of Likes will be donated to support our brothers and sisters in Eretz Yisrael

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
Yeah, I know, but it really sounds a lot more peaceful. I don't know! Going crazy with this stuff already. Have a Good Shabbos

Offline queensdeals

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2011, 10:13:32 PM »
Is there a good (reliably checked) eruv at/around the hotel (westin dip) for ppl with kids?
What do ppl do for shabbos food?  are the restaurants in aventura walkable?  do they host shabbos meals like tower 41/rare steakhouse?

Offline bosoxfan

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 10:32:23 PM »
def not walkable

Offline Shimon

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
The priceline $62/night got upgraded to the suite too?

I guess a 27th floor suite wouldn't be too good for Shabbos :D

Unless that is the top floor and the shabbat lift from the lobby goes to the top floor first. Going down isn't a problem. Just wait till someone else wants to go down and join them.

Offline Mutty

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
BTW, we did the trip to Scottsdale. Very relaxing. The shul is a half hours walk on Shabbos. The hotel people were SO accomodating. I explained Shabbos to them and they had no problem with it. There are a few decent places to eat. We bought our Shabbos meals, though, when the folks hear you're there in shul, they invite you over. The Rabbi was very nice. No, there is no eruv at all. This place also had one of those 90 minute spiels where they try to sell you timeshares, but they give you a $100 gift card for attending. We took it on friday, not doing much then anyway. Nearby we took the 90 minute Segway tour. Cool! If you want to do some driving from there (I couldn't - resting after an accident), there a number of places to tour, Grand Canyon etc. but its a drive. Just thought I'd report in. Was a little chilly though.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2011, 10:58:12 AM »
Did u know bout the timeshare thingy b4 u went there? Sounds pretty cool...