Author Topic: Private School Tuition  (Read 13946 times)

Offline Achas Veachas

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
Re: Private School Tuition
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 12:22:36 PM »
Only applies to NYC and the rule is that religious topics should not be taught. I spoke to several people within the Jewish Ed department about it and as example, making a bracha over snacks they give out would , according to the rules for UPK, not be allowed. Not saying they don't find ways around it. But again, only applies to the City.
That's been the rule in QC for a while and they managed to work around it...

Online skyguy918

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »
Only applies to NYC and the rule is that religious topics should not be taught. I spoke to several people within the Jewish Ed department about it and as example, making a bracha over snacks they give out would , according to the rules for UPK, not be allowed. Not saying they don't find ways around it. But again, only applies to the City.
I wrote NYC, not sure what you're adding.

I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'Jewish Ed department', but the programs that have qualified as UPK have designed programs within the guidelines that don't differ in any substantive way from a normal frum nursery program. They do davening, parsha, etc. during the extra 'wrap-around' time and they find ways to include other 'culturally Jewish' things into the UPK time. What you wrote about brachos is simply not true. Talk to someone from one of these programs, or someone who has a kid in one before you make these pronouncements.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 12:28:08 PM »

I'm not sure what you're referring to with 'Jewish Ed department', but the programs that have qualified as UPK have designed programs within the guidelines that don't differ in any substantive way from a normal frum nursery program. They do davening, parsha, etc. during the extra 'wrap-around' time and they find ways to include other 'culturally Jewish' things into the UPK time. What you wrote about brachos is simply not true. Talk to someone from one of these programs, or someone who has a kid in one before you make these pronouncements.
I don't know about UPK but I know that in QC where the government has been running nursery for a while they are officially not allowed to make Brachos with the kids. Parshah is "Jewish History" and Alef Beis is "Foreign Language" etc. but actual religious ritual is not allowed (again that didn't stop them from doing anything).

Offline Ergel

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:13 PM »
I don't know about UPK but I know that in QC where the government has been running nursery for a while they are officially not allowed to make Brachos with the kids. Parshah is "Jewish History" and Alef Beis is "Foreign Language" etc. but actual religious ritual is not allowed (again that didn't stop them from doing anything).
You're comparing QC to NYC? It's legal for government workers to wear a yarmulka in NYC
Life isn't about checking the boxes. Nobody cares.

Offline benjie1305

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »

By that I just meant that I wish Nassau County was part of it as well :) Tuition here is just beyond crazy and there are no real cheaper outlets.

Only because a child goes to a school where this is done does not mean that it is necessarily within the guidelines. As I mentioned above, schools have found ways around the specific guidelines in order to qualify for this program. Many schools are doing all they can to make it work as it is a way for schools to pay their teachers as well. But again, I am happy to look into it again and confirm certain facts that were presented and discussed with me by people that work hand in hand with programs and schools that deal with the UPK.
Work hard, Play harder!

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:04 PM »
By that I just meant that I wish Nassau County was part of it as well :) Tuition here is just beyond crazy and there are no real cheaper outlets.

Only because a child goes to a school where this is done does not mean that it is necessarily within the guidelines. As I mentioned above, schools have found ways around the specific guidelines in order to qualify for this program. Many schools are doing all they can to make it work as it is a way for schools to pay their teachers as well. But again, I am happy to look into it again and confirm certain facts that were presented and discussed with me by people that work hand in hand with programs and schools that deal with the UPK.
Guidelines are just that, guidelines. The way it was presented by one particular program in their open house is that they are working directly with the DOE administrators of UPK to be able to incorporate the Jewish aspects of the program within the rules of UPK and/or during the wrap-around time.

Offline puddles

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
A lot of the schools in Brooklyn (my daughters included) are taking UPK money and passed $0 savings onto me. Nothing.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 01:21:49 PM »
A lot of the schools in Brooklyn (my daughters included) are taking UPK money and passed $0 savings onto me. Nothing.
That is absolutely disgusting.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 01:28:35 PM »

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
This is still fairly new. Unless there is a lot of collaboration between schools to keep pre-k tuition high, there should logically be competition pushing tuition lower and lower (because they now have a much bigger profit cushion than they would've had without the UPK money).

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
This is still fairly new. Unless there is a lot of collaboration between schools to keep pre-k tuition high, there should logically be competition pushing tuition lower and lower (because they now have a much bigger profit cushion than they would've had without the UPK money).

The way I perceive it, school choosing isn't completely an economical decision (at least in my community). That gives schools the upper hand with this issue.

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2015, 02:05:26 PM »
The way I perceive it, school choosing isn't completely an economical decision (at least in my community). That gives schools the upper hand with this issue.
That depends, obviously a MO won't send their kids to a Chassidish school just because it's cheaper, but in bigger communities where there are more than one school catering to a specific crowd there can difinitely be some competition...

Online noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2015, 02:11:04 PM »
WTA: http://westchesterta.org/tuition/

3's and Pre-K (i.e. Brooklyn nursery and Kindergarten): $9,100+$250 application fee +$775 optional lunch + ~1200 for bus
K-3rd Grade (i.e. Brooklyn Pre-1A-3rd [next year goes to 3rd grade only]$9,999 +$250 application fee +$775 optional lunch + ~1200 for bus

They are very tight with scholarships considering the low tuition rate compared to the other area schools, i.e.
SAR Acadamy K-8 is total of 22.5, nursery 2 y/o is 14.5 and 3-4N 18.8
Ramaz K-18 24-28, nursery/pre-k ~23
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Online skyguy918

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »
That depends, obviously a MO won't send their kids to a Chassidish school just because it's cheaper, but in bigger communities where there are more than one school catering to a specific crowd there can difinitely be some competition...
Exactly. If you're in a place where you (and others like you) have several options for pre-k, then tuition logically will eventually come down to reflect the UPK money - unless, as I mentioned, those pre-k's collaborate to keep it high.

Offline yr

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2015, 03:00:05 PM »
That depends, obviously a MO won't send their kids to a Chassidish school just because it's cheaper, but in bigger communities where there are more than one school catering to a specific crowd there can definitely be some competition...

I think your overgeneralizing - within Chasidish and MO, respectively, there are many categories (satmar, bobov, skever, stolin to name a few- I'm more familiar on the chasidish side than the MO side...)

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2015, 03:40:16 PM »
In Cleveland we now have Ed Choice. The program gives 4,500 per child entering kindergarten, coming from a public school, or moving from out of state. The money is non income based. Although if you are within %200 of the poverty level the school cannot charge you the difference. The program is designed for families that live in a failing school district. The state on average pays over 11,000 per child to go to public school. Being that the school is failing the argument is why would you (govt) pay that much money for my child to get a bad education. Let me send my child to a private school give me a portion of that money and he/she now has a shot at a good education. This program is a complete game changer. In Beachwood the chances of the public school failing are very low so they probably will not be eligible. In University/Cleveland Heights as long as the schools continue to fail the program should stay intact.

Online TimT

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
In Cleveland we now have Ed Choice. The program gives 4,500 per child entering kindergarten, coming from a public school, or moving from out of state. The money is non income based. Although if you are within %200 of the poverty level the school cannot charge you the difference. The program is designed for families that live in a failing school district. The state on average pays over 11,000 per child to go to public school. Being that the school is failing the argument is why would you (govt) pay that much money for my child to get a bad education. Let me send my child to a private school give me a portion of that money and he/she now has a shot at a good education. This program is a complete game changer. In Beachwood the chances of the public school failing are very low so they probably will not be eligible. In University/Cleveland Heights as long as the schools continue to fail the program should stay intact.
The teachers union allows that ?

Offline Achas Veachas

• View Profile
    • Torah && Tech

Offline nis965

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »
The teachers union allows that ?
What is interesting is that it really isn't taking kids out of public school as much as giving money to families already in private school.

Offline Ergel

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 10:26:06 AM »
Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more traction. I am very interested to see the spectrum.
Do people here not have school age kids?