Author Topic: A Quick Getaway to the 50th State: AJK's Trip to Kauai  (Read 30502 times)

Offline jj1000

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 29367
    • View Profile
  • Location: The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.
  • Programs: 1. Search on google. 2. Search in the right board of DDF with a general word or two. 3. Read the wiki. 4. Read the thread. 5. Ask away.
Re: A Quick Getaway to the 50th State: AJK's Trip to Kauai
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
You're saying it's $20 per meal, and it's big enough for 2 people?
Many of them are.
See my 5 step program to your left <--

(Real signature under my location)

Offline AJK

• Dansdeals Lifetime 20K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 15
    • View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »
Yeah, unless we were very hungry, one meal was enough for us. And we figured that we'd had a few meals extra for those nights where we were extra hungry. Convenience of not having to cook was phenomenal.

I think our 10 meals were $250 or so.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2015, 04:25:50 PM »
Many of them are.
+1. Several of the meals are quite large and we don't eat restaurant portions for dinner + we supplement with local fruits and veggies. The family sized lasgna for example, was more than enough to cover 4-5 separate lunch-time servings and was about $17.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
Yeah, unless we were very hungry, one meal was enough for us. And we figured that we'd had a few meals extra for those nights where we were extra hungry. Convenience of not having to cook was phenomenal.
We also shared a single meal most times and built in two extra meals for the week just in case. Even so, we still had left-overs. If you're cool with the carbs and cheese, the dairy meals are particularly generous for the price.

Offline @Yehuda

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 05:29:08 PM »
I think our 10 meals were $250 or so.
10 meals for a week means you also brought for lunch? What did you do for warming up meals while you were out and about? I was thinking of La Briute like Dan wrote about.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
  • Programs: United Concierge Key; Delta Global Services; American Chairman; US Airways 1K; Hilton Sapphire; Hyatt Tritium; Marriott Californium; Starwood Kryptonium; Hertz Plutonium; National Adamantium, Avis Executive Proactanium
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 05:33:55 PM »
We ate a big breakfast. Snacked throughout the day. And ate POM for dinner.

I wouldn't touch La Briute.
2015: 116K bkd | 1.6M brnd | F: OZ,NH,AA,EK | J: UA,CA,TK,DL,TN,AF,VA | LIH,NRT,ROR,PEK,CNS,BOB,MEL,TLV & Pacific Hopper

Offline Buruch

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
I guess it's not as expensive as I imagined, but for my trips, which I'll generally do for 8-10 days, I can keep the cost to 1-150 instead of 400. For me it's probably still not worth it, but to each his own. I also like the airbnb route in general because I can get 10 days for $1-1,200 in most places, whereas points would cost much more. Granted, I'm not staying in 5* resorts, but I'd rather spend more time at a destination, or go more places, than use more points for a shorter and more luxurious stay. But if I had a less flexible schedule, I'd probably do the same. And if I have a kitchen anyways, I may as well save on the food too. But again, to each his own.

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
We ate a big breakfast. Snacked throughout the day. And ate POM for dinner.

I wouldn't touch La Briute.
Hmmm having Diamond status for breakfast definitely helped with that, I guess. I would agree except that in Dan's TRs he seemed to like a few of them.

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 05:55:43 PM »
Definitely helped, but it isn't impossible to do it not being a Diamond.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 06:10:28 PM »
LB only makes sense if you want a hot meal in a remote place.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline MoGro17

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 06:17:13 PM »

Ha! Didn't think you'd resist the urge to rebutt  ;D ;D

Offline @Yehuda

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
Definitely helped, but it isn't impossible to do it not being a Diamond.
Right.

Gotcha.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2015, 03:02:59 AM »

i have to disagree, I tried it for the shtick while sitting in the cold & dark at Jagger museum watching the lava glow,

The plain badness of the food far outweighs the convenience of the heat, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody anywhere

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »
Friday:

We woke up early to find that it was raining a bit, which actually didn’t bother us very much, as we both kind of wanted to have a slow day and enjoy the resort.

After breakfast--where we bumped into Drew Brees ^ having breakfast with his family--we decided to pay a visit to the GHK's own in-house parrots, which live just behind the lobby in the "forest."

DSC02572 by ajkddf, on Flickr

On our way back to our room, we turned back towards the parrots and noticed that we. were. not. alone....

Soon after, the weather started to take a turn for the better, and we decided to jump in the car for a leisurely drive to Costco to pick up some Blue Hawaiian GCs.

The Tree Tunnel on Highway 520 by ajkddf, on Flickr

On the way back from Costco, we went to check out Poipu beach.  A really calm, beautiful beach that is known for snorkeling, though we weren't really in the mood. We didn't feel like going through the hassle of renting masks and fins, and instead we just relaxed for a bit.

DSC02564 by ajkddf, on Flickr

When we got back from Poipu, we went to the beach at the GHK for some swimming in the warm waters. 

DSC02575 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Once there, we were treated to a sight of one of the most endangered mammals, a monk seal, native to Hawaii, just sleeping on the beach.

We played in the water for a bit until we were utterly worn out.  The waves were the strongest waves we’ve ever experienced, and one of the things that was both exciting but terrifying at the same time was to swim towards land at the crest of the wave as it peaked and you were rewarded/punished with literally being shot towards the beach in what can only be described as being thrown in a blender/washing machine of frothy, salty water. Amazing experience.

After a few more washing machine waves, we headed back to the room to prepare for Shabbas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:08:47 PM by AJK »

Offline AJK

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2015, 01:09:15 PM »
Sunday:

Being fully relaxed after shabbas, it was time to get down to business. We got in the car and drove to the northern most part of the island, passing Princeville, the location of the St. Regis, to Ke’e Beach and the start of the famed Kalalau Trail.

On the road to Hanalei by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02592 by ajkddf, on Flickr

On the way into the Kalalau Trail, we passed by some interesting looking "dry" and "wet" caves:

Dry Caves by ajkddf, on Flickr

Wet Caves by ajkddf, on Flickr

While the whole hike is actually 22 miles round trip along the Na’apali Coast, there is an opportunity to do an 8-9 mile round trip to hike to the beautiful Hanakapi’ai Beach, and then a bit farther in to the stunning Hanakapi’ai Falls.

DSC02606 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02605 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Let me get it out of the way: This hike is a MUST-DO. Definitely one of the prettiest hikes we’ve ever done, and you’d be a fool to go to LIH and not do it. That said, I must admit it was also one of the more difficult hikes we’ve ever done. Warning: Bring lots of water. Leave some gas in the tank for the return portion or you won’t make it. The hike is deceptively hard.

A *lot* of Warnings... by ajkddf, on Flickr

The first two miles of the hike afford stunning views of the Na'apali Coast:

DSC02609 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02612 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02617 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02621 by ajkddf, on Flickr

About two miles in, you get to the Hanakapi’ai Stream, which you must negotiate before arriving at Hanakapi’ai Beach.

The Hanakapi’ai Stream You Must Cross to get to the Beach by ajkddf, on Flickr

When you arrive at Hanakapi’ai Beach (which is sandy in summer, but bouldery when we went in the winter), do NOT swim. Dozens of people have drowned here due to the unbelievably powerful rip current. We admired the crashing waves from a close but safe distance while eating a snack and then soldiered on.

Hanakapi’ai Beach by ajkddf, on Flickr

Immediately to the rear of the beach is a sign that directs you. To the right is for the real men and women doing the Kalalau Trail (9 miles from that point to the famous Kalalau beach, which one day we absolutely will do), and straight ahead is the trail we wanted.

DSC02694 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Another two miles inland from the Na’apali Coast (as opposed to along the coast), is the very pretty Hanakapi’ai Falls, 300 feet of falling water into a very deep pool.

On the way to the falls, though, which is a difficult hike by itself, are some interesting sights, like bamboo forests, and jewel spiders...

DSC02634 by ajkddf, on Flickr

Gasteracantha cancriformis by ajkddf, on Flickr

Arriving at the falls after the 4 mile hike in, sweaty through and through, it’s a glorious and inviting sight, compelling you to strip off all your clothes and jump right in.

DSC02645-2 by ajkddf, on Flickr

But prepare yourself.

For those of you who have dunked in the Arizal’s mikvah in Tzfat, well… this makes that seem like a bathtub. By far the coldest water I’ve ever been in.

But you don’t hike all the way into the falls and NOT swim to the edge of the pool and experience what 300 feet of rushing water feels like on the top of your head. It was freezing but wonderful. If you’re confident in your swimming abilities, I challenge you to do it. Just know the swim will zap you of energy quicker than you can say “boo.”

Here's proof that I did it... though it took 20 mins of convincing myself with the water at my waist :)

DSC02670-2 by ajkddf, on Flickr

DSC02668-2 by ajkddf, on Flickr

After I dried off, we turned around and began the hike back. We timed our return hike so that we arrived at Ke’e beach for a wonderful sunset, after which we drove back to the GHK.

DSC02753 by ajkddf, on Flickr
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 01:29:35 PM by AJK »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2015, 01:14:06 PM »
i have to disagree, I tried it for the shtick while sitting in the cold & dark at Jagger museum watching the lava glow,

The plain badness of the food far outweighs the convenience of the heat, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody anywhere
Highly dependent on which meal. Many are indeed inedible.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Amazing pics and TR.
Kalalau has been on the bucket list for quite some time.

Offline eliteflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2015, 01:20:28 PM »
back to our room, we turned back towards the parrots and noticed that we. were. not. alone....

That's Farmbochur in the picture with the parrot.

Offline efflpetzel

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »

Highly dependent on which meal. Many are indeed inedible.
cheese ravioli.

Offline Yaalili

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2015, 01:22:30 PM »
Great photos.

back to our room, we turned back towards the parrots and noticed that we. were. not. alone....

That's Farmbochur in the picture with the parrot.

DDF'ers can be anywhere you go ;)