Author Topic: Accounts that only allow one way ACH direct deposit  (Read 4058 times)

Offline David R

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 5
    • View Profile
Accounts that only allow one way ACH direct deposit
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:59:57 PM »
I want to give out my routing number and account number to a company that is supposed to pay me periodically. Because I have not established their reputation yet, I want to minimize the risk that they will drain my bank account (or that sub-par IT security will allow my account information to fall into the hands of some thief who will drain my bank account). Instead of providing the account information for my checking account, four possibilities come to mind that will allow money to be deposited to my account but not withdrawn:
  • Bluebird
  • American Express for Target
  • American Express Prepaid Card
  • MyVanilla Debit Card

I don't want to give out my Bluebird account info now because I may soon transition to Target RedCard. The latter three cards are not ideal. For the American Express cards, I would have to find an ATM that does not have a surcharge to withdraw the funds, and I would only be able to withdraw in the increments of whatever bill denomination the ATM can dispense. For the MyVanilla card, there are excessive fees for every method of getting the funds out, even making a purchase.

What other ways are there to get an ACH deposit without the possibility of the routing and account numbers being used to withdraw money from the account?

Offline A3

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Accounts that only allow one way ACH direct deposit
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:05:22 PM »
There are alot of other prepaid cards, most issued by the bankcorp that are meant for direct deposit from work and what not.

Maybe one of those?

Offline noturbizniss

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 11:22:00 PM »
Such as target rc
READ THE DARN WIKI!!!!

Chuck Norris...
...can still do FT method
...READS THE WIKI!!!

Offline Palm5

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 11:29:38 PM »
Just open a separate savings account and withdraw the money every time it's deposited

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 11:48:56 PM »
There are alot of other prepaid cards, most issued by the bankcorp that are meant for direct deposit from work and what not.

Maybe one of those?
Can you recommend a specific one where the fee structure for withdrawing the funds is more favorable than the cards I mentioned?

Offline sam i am

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
Can you recommend a specific one where the fee structure for withdrawing the funds is more favorable than the cards I mentioned?
Bluebird, serve and prepaid redcard allow free withdrawal up to 750 a day/2k a month. With all of them you can transfer to a linked bank account also for free (make sure account is in cardholder's name). And with bluebird you can write checks to anyone including yourself (they need to be pre-authorized first). These, as most other prepaids, have monthly deposit/withdrawal imits. So you need to know how much money you are talking about.
EDIT: I didn't read your post all the way through. Still, bb is best way to cash out. Another possibility is T-Mobile. Free in network ATM withdrawals and no fees if you load 500 a month. Otherwise $5 monthly fee.
There must be a way that you can freeze ACH pulls from your account. I would ask around at various banks.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:53:59 AM by sam i am »

Offline ChaimMoskowitz

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
I want to give out my routing number and account number to a company that is supposed to pay me periodically. Because I have not established their reputation yet, I want to minimize the risk that they will drain my bank account (or that sub-par IT security will allow my account information to fall into the hands of some thief who will drain my bank account).
You think your account # and routing # are secrets?
I just found a new supply of forks!

Offline David R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 01:25:37 AM »
The purpose of this thread is just so forum members can chime in on other types of accounts where the routing number and account number can only be used for ACH deposits but not for withdrawals.
The best options I am aware of are BB/RC/Serve because of the ease of withdrawing the funds for free. However, as I alluded in the original post, that will not work for me because I have to provide the numbers to the company now but will soon transition from BB to RC and I don't want to miss receiving the deposit if they send it after the BB is closed.
You think your account # and routing # are secrets?
The routing numbers are not secret. My account number is secret until I disclose it. I understand that it appears on every check, but if I don't send a check to this particular company, they don't know my account number.