Author Topic: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)  (Read 811147 times)

Offline Baruch

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish Music (New CDs, hock, and opinions)
« Reply #1160 on: April 10, 2017, 12:35:33 AM »

Wow! He has some voice!

Offline etech0

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
  • Programs: DDF
« Reply #1161 on: April 10, 2017, 01:10:22 PM »
anyone have the words in English?
Workflowy. You won't know what you're missing until you try it.

Offline churnbabychurn

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
If your into good old litvisheh songs this is a good one. (or if your clinically depressed..) perfect for sefirah

https://youtu.be/zVDu9h1X1OA

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 01, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
For sefira I just wrote a post for that's frum and yidwise called "the top 12 acapella songs you never heard" after I got bored of hearing the same 3 songs all sefira.
http://www.thatsfrum.com/2017/05/this-piece-originally-apperad-on-yidwise.html
Any DDFers want to share their thoughts?
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline Live N Learn

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 01, 2017, 08:09:07 PM »
For sefira I just wrote a post for that's frum and yidwise called "the top 12 acapella songs you never heard" after I got bored of hearing the same 3 songs all sefira.

Beautiful. Great writing and collection.
".איזהו חכם, הלומד מכל אדם"

Offline shmoe joe

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 01, 2017, 08:17:32 PM »
wow nice collection and beautiful write up. Thanks brother!
give some love (likes) to a brother!

Offline 1234567

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: May 03, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lipa_Schmeltzer

Forty kids?  Surinamese?

Someone is having fun with this.

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: May 04, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »

Forty kids?  Surinamese?

Zanvil Schmeltzer?? As far as I know his full name is Eliezer Lipa...
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1168 on: May 04, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »

Nicely written.

I would add Kol Achai's a capella songs to the list. They did it before it was cool, and they don't do mock instrumentals or any of that stuff - just beautifully arranged vocals.

Here is Naar Hayiti:
https://soundcloud.com/ddf-sod/naar-hayiti

Offline TheAsh

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: May 07, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Nicely written.

I would add Kol Achai's a capella songs to the list. They did it before it was cool, and they don't do mock instrumentals or any of that stuff - just beautifully arranged vocals.

Here is Naar Hayiti:
https://soundcloud.com/ddf-sod/naar-hayiti
Maybe next year
I also wanted to add Meir Greens Nekudah SHel Ohr which was very well arranged for an israeli acapella song (I only heard it after I published the article)
Check out @JewishAlternativeMusic2 on Telegram.

Offline Baruch

• View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: May 08, 2017, 08:32:49 PM »

Forty kids?  Surinamese?

Schmeltzer tried to find work as a shlepper (entertainer) for weddings

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: May 09, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Great writing, though I am not familiar with most of the songs because I only listen to pure vocals accapella during Sefira. But it was enjoyable reading nevertheless.

One comment. You mentioned that Shabbosdige Oitzrois is hard to find. I bought it a few years ago as part of a Accapella collection MP3, I believe it was this one https://mostlymusic.com/products/lchaim-vocally-mp3-collection-cd?variant=835288177. It is also available on it's own from Mostly Music. https://mostlymusic.com/products/shabbosdige-oitzros-cd?variant=1037287665

Online YitzyS

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »

Offline shlonx

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: May 16, 2017, 03:57:24 PM »

Forty kids?  Surinamese?

Maybe they're referring to the "הייב אויף דיינע הענטעלעך" on the Shmorg from Oorah, where he sings it in several languages...
Brevity may be the soul of wit, but floridity is its spirit.

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile

Online aygart

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 14
    • View Profile
    • Lower Watt Energy Brokers
  • Programs: www.lowerwatt.com
« Reply #1175 on: May 17, 2017, 01:30:51 PM »
Yona bellar doesn't exist

THis chochom

This is a letter in the Voice around half a year ago:

To my fellow Lakewooders,

I’m writing this letter to address an issue that has recently become a major concern, and can affect a lot of residents of this great city, therefore I consider it my obligation to alert anyone who may otherwise not grasp the severity of the issue.

It is no secret that the price of housing in Lakewood has skyrocketed. Houses that just two or three ago were on the market for already exorbitant rates are now going for a hundred thousand dollars more (or even more!). In prime areas, houses that were sold for 400k or 450k now neighbor homes that are on the market for 700k! The seemingly endless amount of new developments (not the subject of this letter, sorry) haven’t managed to make a dent in stinting the market prices.

All this isn’t news.

What may seem surprising is that people are still buying houses. But to most readers, that is no shock at all. After all, having a place to live is a necessity, and rent costs good money, so why pay for your landlord’s mortgage if you can be putting that money towards your own. So people will scrape together a down payment, and look for the cheapest house they can find within the proximity of their standards (location, size, crowd, etc.). They will then figure out exactly how much their monthly payments will amount to, and budget it out to the penny. X amount from the paycheck, X amount from the Kollel check, X amount from the basement tenant, etc. And then, with a to-the-penny plan and a good dose of Emunah, they proceed to purchase the house.

This too is not news.

So what prompted me to sit down and write this letter? As I mentioned at the onset, there is something newsworthy, something new that warrants our attention.

The issue is that there is a flaw in the reasoning of these homebuyers. A flaw that is caused by a new phenomenon, something unprecedented that people fail to take into account.

Dependable basement income no longer exists! The ability to rent out the basement isn’t a given anymore, and it cannot possibly be relied upon as a source of money to cover the monthly mortgage payment. Not even near-reliable!

If you would but open up the local publication that lists the rentals available, you would be confronted by pages upon pages of listings. In last week’s edition, there were 542 listings, spread across seventeen pages! (Yes, I counted.) A mere two years ago there was less than one full page of listings! The bulletin boards in BMG are inundated with “basement available” signs, now accounting for a majority of all signs, when not too long ago they were relegated to but small corners of the board. The “epidemic” of vacancies is so widespread that people have been coming up with creative ways to try to lure people into checking out their apartments. A recent sign on a Yeshiva bulletin actually had an inset on it that stated: “Ask about free Eretz Yisroel trip!” That’s just an indication how extensive this problem really is.

Why is this so?

The simple explanation is that the overabundance of new houses created an imbalance in the infrastructure. Every basement dweller who buys and moves into a new house leaves two basements empty, the one he just moved out of, plus the basement of the house he just bought. The only way to support that is if the demographic of new basement renters (usually newly married couples) is growing faster than that of the house buyers. Because house buyers must rent out their basement indefinitely, while basement renters generally only stay in basements for a few years, the size of their demographic must be growing a lot faster in order to keep the market balanced. Although it’s possible that it is indeed growing faster, it evidently is not “faster enough” to keep up with the overwhelming amount of new houses.

Many readers will now roll their eyes and allow their familiarity of precedents to discredit my claim away from ever touching upon their conscience. They will wave away the concern as a mere temporary phase, pointing to “the cycle of Lakewood rentals” as justification for this pattern. (“The cycle of Lakewood rentals” refers to a cycle that in the past has always proven itself true in Lakewood: rentals would be scarce, and then a wave of new developments would be completed, thereby leaving an abundance of available basements. Those would slowly fill up, again leading to a shortage of available basements, but only until the next wave of developments were completed. Most young individuals will remember “when I got married, there were hardly any available basements” or “when I got married, there were tons of available basements.”)

But even if they will consider the number of houses being built as normal, it still cannot be pinned on a precedent! Because there is something new that has completely disrupted the cycle.

That something is Jackson.

Jackson presents a unique opportunity to many who otherwise can’t afford houses, to actually buy a house. While I don’t know the exact numbers, there is a substantial amount of people moving to Jackson, most who, I think it is safe to assume, would otherwise be renters in Lakewood. (I am not intentionally omitting Toms River, Howell, and Brick, it’s just that Jackson seems to have the biggest movement and the least hurdles.) And when you’re sucking such a significant number of renters out of an already busting rental market, the result is a deluge of vacancies.

(Please note, that this issue affects people wishing to rent out the main floors possibly just as much as it affects basement renters, because some of the buyers in Jackson would otherwise be renting houses in Lakewood. And even though there’s a smaller market of house rentals, there’s also a smaller pool of clients.)

The extreme abundance of availabilities has begun to drive rental prices down, thus creating somewhat of an additional attraction toward basements, but even so there is still a tremendous overabundance. If the trend continues, while it may draw back potential Jackson-buyers, it will nevertheless result in the basement income becoming inadequate to ever cover the gap in the mortgage payment.

And so my fellow Lakewooders, I implore you, please don’t fall into the trap! Don’t get yourself straddled into a situation that can so easily lead to total financial disaster. Just because your siblings all did it ten, five, or even two years ago, and have not (yet) had issues, doesn’t conjecture that you too can do the same. Don’t allow yourself to be persuaded into a commitment of 500k, 550k, or 600k, prices that can only be justified because of the rentable basements (if at all), when you will very possibly (or can I even say probably?) have tremendous difficulty filling that basement. Countless sleepless nights and untold mental anguish can all be avoided, if you consider the difficulties carefully instead of blindly jumping in.

Don’t be fooled by people who tell you that it is a mere passing phase. Jackson has an indefinite amount of houses, with more becoming available as the previous ones are bought. If the prices in the more sought out areas begin to go up, there is always the next neighborhood, and then the next. Many Jackson residents are eager to sell, and for the foreseeable future there is an adequate amount of houses to continue being a threat to Lakewood buyers seeking to rent their basements, if not enough to actually accelerate the problem. Al Pi Derech Hateva, Jackson is here to stay.

A probable result of this problem will be a big dip in prices of Lakewood houses, partly to reflect the risk, and also (if not primarily) because people (or at least most people) will stop buying such expensive houses with no reliable renters. That may very well happen. But for someone who jumps in now, it will forever be too late.

-Yona Bellar
Feelings don't care about your facts

Online Yehuda57

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
    • Squilled
  • Programs: Official Dansdeals salad correspondent
« Reply #1176 on: May 17, 2017, 01:34:47 PM »
Yona bellar doesn't exist

A chossid once did something he needed a tikun for, but was too embarrassed to admit. He went into a yechidus with the Rebbe Rashab (iirc) and said, "my friend did kach v'kach and is looking for a tikun."

The Rebbe answered, "Why didn't your friend just come in and say his friend needs a tikun?"

Offline churnbabychurn

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: May 17, 2017, 02:35:03 PM »
THis chochom
It's YitzyS's friend

Offline JoeyShmoe

• View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: May 17, 2017, 03:27:19 PM »
THis chochom
Or this Chochem
On the subject of the Voice, Yona Bellar struck again (he's the Voice Rewards guy) with a very funny letter but it had nothing to do with Voice Rewards.
DDF A-Z Link Extension
Chrome
Firefox
Info

Offline snagger

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: May 22, 2017, 12:07:06 PM »
When is mbd's new album supposed to be released?